Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM

21,000 posts, read 28,576,880 times

Advertisements

I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen aid mixer with the sausage stuffer. I am a pretty Savvy cook so all I need to know is:

Spices for the meat (no fennel)
what cuts of pork/lamb/veal
Where to buy the casings.
What cut of beef for my burgers, I like a fatty burger so If I have to add beef fat I will.

I think it would be cheaper to make my own plus I can control what goes into my sausage. Hubby can't have fennel seeds. I'd like to make some with cheese and basil too. BTW this set also comes with a vegetable shredder and fruit and vegetable strainer. It's brand new never used but now I want to use them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 04:07 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,520,987 times
Charcuterie preparation is an art form. If you really want to go there, I would recommend investing in a good book dealing specifically with sausage making. Once you see everything that goes into sausage making, you can decide if you really want to invest that much time and effort. There is definitely a learning curve, but if you are patient it can pay off.

My parents have been making their own sausage as far back as I can remember because they came from the old country and none of the sausages available commercially were even close to what they grew up on. In order to save time and effort, they would prepare a huge batch all at once (we all helped out, everyone had a role in this activity) and then smoke or freeze the finished product. The casings they would buy from a proper butcher, and they would usually order the quantity they needed and go pick it up when it was in (the butcher/meat market didn't typically keep their own inventory so would order it from their supplier). Whatever casings were left over froze well, and they would then defrost the casings and use them the next time.

For burgers, that's another story - if you want the best flavor burger I would suggest grass fed beef sirloin, if you want to grind your own.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,346,743 times
buy pork butts, cut them up and grind

if you want seasonings,,,you can buy the packets off ebay legg"s old plantation is an excellent choice

if you want to grind your own burger

buy chuck steaks or roasts on sale and grind those ,,,you can often find these on sale cheaper than the going rate of burger retail,,

remember you need some fat for flavor,,,, if its too lean it is dry and tasteless..
grind it thru 2-3 times

for sausage grind the pork butt pieces thru once then mix in the spices... the mix ratios are on the packet

if you want to put sausage in casings,,,,buy a sausage horn,,,, and casing called "hanks" you can also buy these on ebay

if you were closer id set you right up

I've made hundreds of thousands of pounds of sausage and millions of pounds of burger

if you get to reading on sausage making this is the easy stuff,,,the raw,,uncured sausage - keep it simple,,

you can also grind your own ground chicken from boneless chicken breasts or thighs - I prefer thighs not as dry and good flavor

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 06-02-2016 at 06:26 PM..

Old 06-02-2016, 06:45 PM

21,000 posts, read 28,576,880 times
what is a sausage horn? I have the attachment that you slip the casing on and stuff the sausage. Is that it?? What about lamb and veal cuts??? I plan on making the easy sausage. Don't have the tools or equipment to smoke them.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
what is a sausage horn? I have the attachment that you slip the casing on and stuff the sausage. Is that it?? What about lamb and veal cuts??? I plan on making the easy sausage. Don't have the tools or equipment to smoke them.
yes the casing goes over the horn,,,it look a little like a funnel,,

lamb and veal are quite expensive...
if that isn't an issue,,,,you can buy veal stew often on sale for 4.99lb in this region,,

lamb - you can buy the lamb leg and bone it out or buy the boneless lamb legs,,,

id try some basic ground pork sausage first to get the hang of it..

go with pork butts some folks buy the boneless pork chops or cutlets thinking they are leaner -
which you certainly can,,,,but flavorful sausage has some fat in it,

here is a pic of a sausage horn

I want to make my own sausage/Burgers where do I start?-sausage-horn.jpg

Old 06-03-2016, 01:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,522,723 times
I make my own sausage and it's almost always pork. I buy pork butt when it's on sale for about a $1 a pound. I make Polish, Italian, Andouille, Breakast or Mexican Chorizo. The last two I do without casings. I buy hog casings at my local supermarket or you can order online. I bought a good meat grinder and paid about $150 for it but it is a good quality one that will last for years. As for the kitchen aid for grinding, that should be just fine for casual use. The stuffer is another matter. You can buy the attachment for the kitchen aid but that is not as good as a dedicated machine. I use an LEM brand sausage stuffer that does 5lbs at a time. I would start reading. There are youtube videos and many online resources available. Amazon.com and ebay sell many books. There are also some websites. Here are a couple

A forum for sausage making
www.sausagemaking.org • Index page

As many recipes as you will ever need.
Sausage

I personally wouldn't mess with pre-made spice mixes. Scratch made is so much better and not hard at all to do as you will see after reading some recipes.

I would also just google for "homemade sausage" or anything similar to get started. Read as much as possible and even then it may be trial and error for a while. The hardest part for me was actually stuffing the sausage. The grinding and spices are the easy part. Just remember that the colder the meat the easier it is to work with.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:55 PM

24,814 posts, read 11,225,923 times
Been there!

Start with small quantities 2-3 pounds of meat. Be prepared to stop and detangle. The KA blades seem to roll up stringy fat/tissue like a thread spool. Cut your meat in small chunks, chill it. Start out with simple spices you have on hand. Salt, pepper, sage, garlic, ... Mix well, chill! Make the first batch or two as patties.

We bought casings at outdoor stores such as Academy, Cabelas, ...

We tied the sausages with colored embroidery yarn to identify spice mixes. Blanch in almost boiling water, hang to dry.

I found it very hard to work the KA stuffer by myself. It is a four-handed job.

Please keep us posted.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:23 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,685,401 times
Two words. Meat. Grinder.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,433,427 times
I was looking around Academy Sports yesterday and they have the sausage casings for sale in the charcoal grill accessory area -- along with meat injectors, spices and such. I also 'read up' about making sausage online (I am also interested) and there are fabulous websites with step by step instructions and spice recipes. Good luck!!!

Old 06-04-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Two words. Meat. Grinder.

I agree!

here is a small counter top grinder that comes with a sausage horn - these are tough little units I give them away for xmas gifts
and also have one I use a lot

and they are cheap!! under 70.00!! click on the link below

this grinder will grind a chicken leg, with the bone and keep on going

this is great at making sausage,,

you can even grind your own ground chicken when boneless thighs or breasts are on sale
and grind your own burger when chuck roasts and steaks are on sale

I want to make my own sausage/Burgers where do I start?-grinder.jpg

2000 Watt Meat Grinder Electric 2 6 HP Industrial Meat Grinder 3 Speed w 3 Blade | eBay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink