Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Teflon coating gets ruined by ordinary kitchen tools, stainless does not. It's a perfectly reasonable choice to avoid it and has no need of the above diatribe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Mine doesn't have the glass lid.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-05-2018, 07:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mine doesn't have the glass lid.
The glass lid is an extra you can purchase, but isn't used for cooking under pressure. Before purchasing one, check your cupboard for a lid the right size. I had two.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The glass lid is an extra you can purchase, but isn't used for cooking under pressure. Before purchasing one, check your cupboard for a lid the right size. I had two.
Brilliant.

So obvious, but I am such an "in the box" thinker I never would have tried the existing lids.

Thank you!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-06-2018, 12:24 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Teflon coating gets ruined by ordinary kitchen tools, stainless does not. It's a perfectly reasonable choice to avoid it and has no need of the above diatribe.
Mine doesn't. I haven't cooked with much of anything else since it first came out - even when it was the white stuff that peeled off in sheets and had to be replaced every year.

And modern nonstick is WAY more durable than that. You can use metal utensils with most of it, though I don't. I prefer my various silicon implements anyway. I have 30+ year old ScanPans that are still perfectly serviceable. I have some T-Fal that is over a decade old and still going strong - so you don't have to drop hundreds on fancy Scan Pans to get durable nonstick.

You may consider what I wrote a "diatribe". Fine with me. I consider it advice to open minded people who think for themselves. There is NO REASON to fear The Teflon, LOL!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I recommended the microwave to the person who was interested in fast meals, especially breakfast. I use my micro fir breakfast fequently.

I would never boil water in the micro;I agree that is slow going.

I use my micro often. I reheat things in it. But I like steaming broccoli and Brussels sprouts in it as well. If I need a quick boiled egg, I often cook it in the micro and chop. I have been making steel cut oats in the IP, and reheating each serving in the micro. I’ve cooked rice in the micro many times. A few slices of bacon laid over a pad of newsprint topped with a paper towel will cook quicker and with less mess than if you did them in a skillet.

I think there are many ways to use the micro. But boiling water is not one of the best uses.

Non stick coatings are not themselves dangerous to users, but the Teflon sorts of coatings have caused terrible environmental pollution. I will never buy another one of those. When my present non stick skillet dies, I am not buying another. I do not know about the ceramic coated pans.

I made chicken in the IP tonight. I think I prefer roasted or grilled chicken, frankly.

I bought a largish turkey thigh today. I suspect that will make great pulled meat in the IP.

So far I like the IP for mixed dishes the best. Flavors are great and things look apoealing. I also bought beef shanks for soup today. I figure that’s a nice soup meal sometime soon.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Ok, I used leftover chicken drumsticks and some onion and other veggies including kale to make a one dish supper. I reheated brown rice in the micro, spooned it into bowls. I topped the rice with the chicken and veggies. And bacon bits and cheese. It was soupy and good.

The IP does kale great.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Some Instant Pot Models Reportedly Overheating, Melting « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 PM

https://www.facebook.com/instantpot/...658400/?type=3

It is this model, which I’ve never heard of. Looks more like a slow cooker.

“If you own a Gem 65 8-in-1 Instant Pot, your pressure cooker could be at risk—the company has taken to its official Facebook page to explain that these models could overheat and experience "melting damage to the underside of the product." Quote from the company.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:14 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,494 times
mine is made by crock pot. i love it. very good item to own. i use it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-Mul...e+cooker&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink