Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 06:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,244,089 times

Advertisements

I made perfectly fine tomato sauce the other night with two cans of Muir's Glen fire roasted chopped tomatoes. My only complaint was lack of flavor and soupy texture. I drained some of the liquid. But next time I do tomato sauce I'll add 1 or 2 T of tomato paste. And I really need to salt the stuff more thoroughly. And, I find that you need a bit of sugar too. Both of these latter I tend to skimp on.

DH liked the sauce though. And I did too, actually. Some of it is now stashed in the freezer for rainy day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Silibran -the applesauce sounds really good. Do you have a recipe?

I have made tomato sauce twice in the IP and it was phenomenal. I cooked the tomatoes down, but then I used a colander to press the "meat" of the tomato through leaving the seeds and skin behind. I then added a can of tomato paste and my seasonings and simmered awhile longer. The only problem is, I spent $8 on the campari tomatoes from Sam's. Now I know why a good jarred sauce like Rao's costs so much!

I had a major IP fail last night. I found a Jaques Pepin recipe for stuffed peppers and he cooked them in the oven for an hour. I thought I could beat that by cooking in the IP and the peppers would come out nice and soft and tender. The IP cookbook app said to cook them for 15 minutes. I set it for 12 and did a 10 minute natural release. I almost had stuffed pepper soup. I set the peppers on the trivet and they pretty much fell apart when I tried to take them out. The only thing holding any of it together was the stuffing which used fresh bread cubes. Maybe some things cook too well in the Instant Pot!
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/re...lesauce-recipe

This gives the basics. It is hard for me to give you a recipe, because I don't measure anything. I do use apple juice instead of water though, and I skip the cinnamon.

Before putting apples in the IP, I leave some of the peel on and run the sections through the large grater blade of my food processor. This gives consistent texture; the peel often makes the sauce slightly pink and contributes fiber.

Instead of cinnamon, I tend to use ginger. I never, ever add sweeteners.

You can also do this in a slow cooker for about 4 hours.

I use whatever apples I find a good price at Whole Foods. If I want to leave peels on to make applesauce, I want the apples to be organic.

Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,955,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Just so you can compare, many 'testers' of food stuff (including America's Test Kitchen, I think) have rated Red Pack (aka Red Gold) canned tomatoes BETTER than any of the ones that included San Marzano.
Good to know - I have been trying to stay away from canned to tomatoes in general. The campari tomatoes I bought were fresh. I had never even attempted making my own sauce using fresh tomatoes before but I figured it would be a good job for the pressure cooker. It was a bit of work to strain out all the seeds, but so worth it for the taste - just not sure about the cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I made perfectly fine tomato sauce the other night with two cans of Muir's Glen fire roasted chopped tomatoes. My only complaint was lack of flavor and soupy texture. I drained some of the liquid. But next time I do tomato sauce I'll add 1 or 2 T of tomato paste. And I really need to salt the stuff more thoroughly. And, I find that you need a bit of sugar too. Both of these latter I tend to skimp on.

DH liked the sauce though. And I did too, actually. Some of it is now stashed in the freezer for rainy day.
Do you use that tomato paste in a tube? I find that perfect for when you just need a TBSP or two instead of opening a can. Tuesday morning sells a large 7 oz. tube of an Italian brand - Oro di Parma I think - for $2.99. I love that stuff!

Old 03-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Good to know - I have been trying to stay away from canned to tomatoes in general. The campari tomatoes I bought were fresh. I had never even attempted making my own sauce using fresh tomatoes before but I figured it would be a good job for the pressure cooker. It was a bit of work to strain out all the seeds, but so worth it for the taste - just not sure about the cost.

Do you use that tomato paste in a tube? I find that perfect for when you just need a TBSP or two instead of opening a can. Tuesday morning sells a large 7 oz. tube of an Italian brand - Oro di Parma I think - for $2.99. I love that stuff!
Beth Hensberger recommends using that very thing, and I did buy a tube. But her recipe did not call for fomato paste, so I did not use it. But next time, I think I will!

Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM

29,771 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Has anyone had any issue with food disintegrating in the IP? I made this recipe for Hungarian Beef Stew: https://recipes.instantpot.com/recip...ian-beef-stew/ and at the end, it resulted in a generally brown mush with chunks of potatoes and carrots. Smelled great, tasted fine, but it definitely did not look like the picture.

I followed the recipe, and I generally kept the meat and veggies in large chunks to keep them from breaking down too much, but to no avail. Should I be tweaking the cooking times? The IP is great because it's so hands-off, but not being able to check on the food as it's cooking leads to interesting results.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,926,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Has anyone had any issue with food disintegrating in the IP? I made this recipe for Hungarian Beef Stew: https://recipes.instantpot.com/recip...ian-beef-stew/ and at the end, it resulted in a generally brown mush with chunks of potatoes and carrots. Smelled great, tasted fine, but it definitely did not look like the picture.

I followed the recipe, and I generally kept the meat and veggies in large chunks to keep them from breaking down too much, but to no avail. Should I be tweaking the cooking times? The IP is great because it's so hands-off, but not being able to check on the food as it's cooking leads to interesting results.
Did you add the veggies for the last 5 minutes like the recipe said? The only times I've ended up with mush is when I put the veggies in as long as the beef.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:19 AM

29,771 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Did you add the veggies for the last 5 minutes like the recipe said? The only times I've ended up with mush is when I put the veggies in as long as the beef.
I did, which is why I was wondering about cooking times--by the time it got up to pressure to cook for 5 minutes, the poor red peppers were done for. And by that time even the beef chucks were broken down.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 03-20-2018 at 09:27 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 11:20 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I did, which is why I was wondering about cooking times--by the time it got up to pressure to cook for 5 minutes, the poor red peppers were done for. And by that time even the beef chucks were broken down.
What I sometimes do is add half of the vegetables with the meat and the other half later. This way you can get the best of both. As for the vegetables that fall apart, that is added flavor for the broth. The veggies added later are for both taste and texture.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:48 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,273,456 times
I looked up Hungarian Beef Stew on the Instant Pot facebook page. Several people had posted photos from when they cooked it and yeah, a lot of them were kind of mushy looking, with the beef looking more like pulled pork rather than chunks of stew meat. The ones with actual chunks seemed to be larger pieces of meat.

I would experiment with less cooking time and see what happens. I also like gguera's idea of reserving some of the vegetables for the end.

But I agree that while I love the hands off aspect, not being able to check on things can sometimes be frustrating. But since it tasted good, I'm sure you'll end up happy with the results once you figure out the right cooking time.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I looked up Hungarian Beef Stew on the Instant Pot facebook page. Several people had posted photos from when they cooked it and yeah, a lot of them were kind of mushy looking, with the beef looking more like pulled pork rather than chunks of stew meat. The ones with actual chunks seemed to be larger pieces of meat.

I would experiment with less cooking time and see what happens. I also like gguera's idea of reserving some of the vegetables for the end.

But I agree that while I love the hands off aspect, not being able to check on things can sometimes be frustrating. But since it tasted good, I'm sure you'll end up happy with the results once you figure out the right cooking time.

This is why I have never done a one pot meal. I use it for beans, stocks, rice and stuff. Not being able to check on my food, and a surprise ending is not appealing to me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink