Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:34 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've never really thought it has an odor. At least not a bad one. Smells just fine to me (unless it's canned. bleh)
No odor before eating, but the odor of pee after eating asparagus can be pretty unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We used to buy the really thin stalks as well, until I tried the thicker ones and realized how much better the flavor was. Instead of snapping, I actually use a vegetable peeler and strip the bottom third of each stalk of the outer skin which is where it's most fibrous, trim the bottom inch or so, and prepare as desired. We are grilling them tomorrow since w e are doing a mixed grill, but I also frequently roast in the oven on a non stick cookie sheet, topped with seasonings, olive oil, and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. Pan sautéed in butter is also yummy, though!
Born and raised on Asparagus, growing up in California. You are right: Asparagus is one veggie where the thin, better looking vegetables are not the best: The fat guys are tastier and often more tender.

I was raised and also taught is a few foods classes not to cut, but to break the ends off. The reason? where is snaps is where the meat gets more tender. I never thought about a vegetable peeler, will give that a try when I buy asparagus at Sam's today.

When cooking them, growing up grilling and roasting veggies was not something often done so we would put them in a skillet, with just a tad of water and salt. We would only bring them to a boil and blanch for a couple of minutes. Now, my favorite way to cook it is: either wrap in foil and stick on the grill or lay them on aluminum foil in the toaster oven: add a little O.Oil, sea salt and grated garlic. Set at about 375 degrees and bake for about 6 to 9 minutes. Top with lemon and lemon zest, never thought of parm. cheese. Probably the best veggie there is, but never buy frozen or canned.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
That sounds delicious. I roast my Brussels sprouts like that, but I never thought of doing asparagus the same way.
We do as well, but we use the toaster oven; just about the same. We also like to use garlic when doing asparagus or sprouts.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:49 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
It goes on the grill, a bare drizzle of olive oil, salt. Done.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I like to buy the fat ones. Snap off the bottoms. Now, I do one of two things, either plunge into boiling salted water for just a few minutes then drain and serve at room temperature, or cut into thirds and place in a hot pan with sizzling butter. Stir fry very briefly, then remove from heat. Either way the end result should be tender crisp.
If you cook them too long, they will always be stringy. I have not tried peeling the stems, so that might be the secret to no stringiness.
If you are a person who likes soft asparagus, then you're on your own.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Aside note:

Great recipe for asparagus:

Ingredients

One standard sized bunch of fresh asparagus
About two cups of cherry tomatoes
Your favorite salad greens
Sliced almonds
Very thinly sliced onions if you like them
You can also add fresh, crispy bacon crumbles if you like

Cut the asparagus up into one inch long pieces. Steam very lightly - you want the asparagus to be crisp. Plunge it into ice water after steaming. Sprinkle with sea salt.

Half the cherry tomatoes.

Mix all of the ingredients in a big salad bowl. Voila! My favorite dressing with this is balsamic vinaigrette.

We are going to try our hand today with grilled asparagus. Yay!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:39 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I can't deal with any asparagus purchased from stores. Too many years of tender, fresh-cut, harvested straight from an asparagus bed into my kitchen, in season. It's like a completely different substance.
Exactly. This thread makes me wonder where people are buying asparagus with tough parts. They need to find a store with decent produce, or just plant a few corms for themselves. One of my delights is to graze through the orchard in the spring, picking asparagus and eating it raw.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm assuming Limoncello is some boozy lemon stuff - yes please! I've never tried it or seen it but now I've gotta have it and go experiment with it. Can I enhance my lemon bars recipe with this stuff? Mm, lemon bars. Omg, I'm going ADD on this Limoncello.
Yes, it's an Italian liqueur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
This topic is my reason for not buying.

Ya'll got some hearty taste buds if you can tolerate this veggie.

seriously, how do you get past its odor?
There is no odor BEFORE eating. Now AFTER eating is a different matter altogether!

Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,759,896 times
I love fresh asparagus, the only thing worse than frozen is canned.

We roast in the oven or on the grill with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle of sea salt. I also microwave with a splash of water and sealed with a lid to steam at 70% power, time varies from 4-7 minutes depending on size/freshness. Fresh Parmesan sprinkled on when done is good. I like a bit of bite to my asparagus and not mushy.

I snap off the tough, fibery part. I read how far up the asparagus is snapped used to indicate how rich/poor people were.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:03 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
My parents always grew a lot of asparagus. (I hate the stuff.)

My mother always said to eat the THICK ONES. She said that's one of those exceptions where you think the thin ones will be tender. NO. It's the THICK ONES.

I know a few people already said this, but this advice comes down through the centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink