Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 12:06 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,071 times

Advertisements

Get any pancake mix of your choice (I'm equal-opportunity brand)
Just add water (sometimes I add a few pinches of sugar and cinnamon in the mix) and stir
Get rid of lumps in the batter
For those who deal with high cholesterol, opt for cooking spray instead of butter
Preheat your favorite skillet until you've achieved the desired heat, then turn it down a few notches
Pour in batter and flip when golden brown and again with other side
Repeat until you have the number of pancakes you want. Finish off with your favorite toppings, and dig in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Easiest way to make pancakes for me is to go out to Billy's Pancake House and order them.

Seriously, we rarely have pancakes at home - we both prefer other breakfast foods if we're making them, and neither of us really feels like dealing with them, especially in the morning. If for some reason we DO have them at home, we've lately been using a mix - it comes in a cute, yellow bottle (I forget the brand) and is very easy. When I DID make pancakes many years ago when son was young, I used the recipe out of my Betty Crocker cookbook. I never used a mix until he was out of the house and we'd make less.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I'm not a fan of making them, but I'll sure eat them.

Just make mine buckwheat pancakes slathered with real butter and drenched with any of the childhood syrups (non of that thin maple syrup for me).

Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
This thread is making me hungry FOR PANCAKES!!! (Which I havent had in along time)

Ah man!!

Anyone wanna join me @ IHOP for pancakes galore??

Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This thread is making me hungry FOR PANCAKES!!! (Which I havent had in along time)

Ah man!!

Anyone wanna join me @ IHOP for pancakes galore??
I was just gonna say that I LOVE IHOP's pancakes! Haven't been there for a long time!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,000,178 times
I am gonna add a different tone. In my family, the pancake tradition is for a heartier pancake that has more body and flavor. For your white, pasty and nutritionless average offerings of pancakes, Krusteaz will do just fine. I am sure other pancake mixes will do just fine as well. I've used them at times in the past.

But, if you want something that will. like my grandma said, stick to your ribs, you want buckwheat pancakes. Look 'em up. I'm not gonna spend hours looking up a recipe - even tho I know I have one somewhere. You won't get a flour-paste result with any buckwheat recipe.

There is one good thing about flour-paste pancakes - you can add a little water - roll the result into little balls - and make a decent catfish bait.

But for real pancakes, you need some body. A bit of whole-wheat flour to balance out the white flour - some buckwheat flour to add flavor and texture - then cook 'em just like that pasty white variety - you turn 'em when they've got bubbles all around the edge and just startin' in the middle.

That was my family's tradition. And they used those pancakes to fuel days of hard work logging and farming in the upper midwest.

So there ya go. My $.02. Buckwheat pancakes are the real thing. Taste good and good for ya. Don't forget the maple syrup!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Forgot to add, I also add a spoonful each of wheat germ, wheat bran, and ground flaxseeds. Just made some this morning.

I cook in a non-stick fry pan with no added grease and they come out fine, even the first ones. Which is 3/4 of them in my case.
The first one? Oh, man!

Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I'm not a fan of making them, but I'll sure eat them.

Just make mine buckwheat pancakes slathered with real butter and drenched with any of the childhood syrups (non of that thin maple syrup for me).
I'll make them if you cook meat. Fluffy or thin? Butter. Check. Pancake syrup? Seriously?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'll make them if you cook meat. Fluffy or thin? Butter. Check. Pancake syrup? Seriously?
What? I LOVE me my Mrs. Butterworth's - don't like any other kind of syrup on waffles or pancakes! ESPECIALLY maple. Then again, it's me - what did you expect?

Old 08-10-2016, 11:03 AM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
With buttermilk and fry it in lard in a iron skillet pan. Slather it with real butter and REAL maple syrup, not Aunt Jemima. Also heat up with syrup with butter. Mmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink