Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 07:38 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

I would just go for comfort and style. I like my flatware to have a little heft. If you go with Oneida, it is easy to replace pieces, or to add pieces, even years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would just go for comfort and style. I like my flatware to have a little heft. If you go with Oneida, it is easy to replace pieces, or to add pieces, even years later.
Not anymore. Onieda was supposed to have lifetime patterns...and that's changed. Your best bet is Replacements.com.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not anymore. Onieda was supposed to have lifetime patterns...and that's changed. Your best bet is Replacements.com.
I have not had trouble with getting mine, but it is cheaper to just buy new than to buy a few pieces from Replacements.

Funny, but I was just on Replacements this morning, looking for a few pieces of Blue Willow. One plate was $50. I can buy new place settings for $30. and pitch the pieces I don't need, like the cups and saucers.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
I have not had trouble with getting mine, but it is cheaper to just buy new than to buy a few pieces from Replacements.

Funny, but I was just on Replacements this morning, looking for a few pieces of Blue Willow. One plate was $50. I can buy new place settings for $30. and pitch the pieces I don't need, like the cups and saucers.
I've had better luck on eBay, but mine wasn't grandfathered. They still sell Paul Revere, which was the corresponding pattern, in fact, I bought the Paul Revere pistol grip knives. Patrick Henry's weren't pistol grip, and I just HAD TO HAVE THEM.

I agree Replacements isn't cheap...but if you're looking for that odd ball piece of something....it's the place to go. I trust them on china because I've gotten so burned on eBay. People selling pieces as perfect when the design has worn off, using a stock photo so you don't see the real bad piece....half baked wrapping do the piece comes in pieces....

Old 12-29-2016, 03:42 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Buy enough to start with

Old 12-29-2016, 03:44 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:

OT
Can't we have a swap meet thread? I rehomed some new and used kitchen items here either for postage or to have a good home for it. Sorry no Blue Willow.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:

Sell the cups & saucers to Replacements -- you won't get much, but every little helps, right?

I like to browse this site: Stainless Steel Flatware | Replacement Flatware | SIlverSuperStore.com
What's nice about it is that it gives you weight ratings. I like heavy pieces and I can get a sense of an unfamiliar make of flatware if it compares weight-wise to something I do know. Plus it gives good info about 18/8 and 18/10, plus carries some very nice European lines that I had never seen before. Unfortunately for me, I fell in love with a set that runs $150/place setting for stainless! I'm not going to pay that, but geez-o-peez, I think it's gorgeous!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:30 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
weezy, tell us which set you like so we can enjoy it too!

I just enjoy looking at flatware and china. Is that weird?

Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I was given a set by my late mother. She bought me some with heavy handles that would flip out of a bowl of ice cream unless it was planted in the ice cream somehow. They were so annoying I gave them to Good will. I hated the heavy handles.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
weezy, tell us which set you like so we can enjoy it too!

I just enjoy looking at flatware and china. Is that weird?
Maybe, but it's not harmful.

I checked and the price has gone down. It's a Ricci pattern, Amalfi, which is both floral and fluted. The smooth shiny patterns always show water spots and fingerprints. The satins look too dull to me. I like fluted patterns best but they're less in style and hard to find nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink