Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:22 PM

266 posts, read 259,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Anyway you should just ask to speak to the manager and tell him/her why you will not be returning, because of their policy.

I did. To his credit, he offered to comp my next order. I declined since accepting would have been disingenuous on my part because I had no intention of returning as long as they had their policy of charging a take out fee. Also wanted to make the 50 cents they charged me to be the most expensive 50 cents they ever charged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Your definition of "upscale" certainly differs from mine. Your definition seems to be what I call "casual."
It's a perspective thing. If your community mainly has diners and fast food, casual chains are, by comparison, upscale.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Recently when picking up take out food orders I was charged a fee, supposedly to cover the cost of packaging supplies. In one case it was 50 cents to cover the cost of a small sheet of aluminum foil and a small paper bag for a burrito. Another time it was 75 cents for a pizza box. In both instances the fee was not made known to me when the order was placed.

Most restaurants, other than upscale ones, generate a substantial portion of their revenue from offsite consumption (take out and delivery). My thought is that the additional cost of packaging supplies is more than offset by savings in additional rent for additional floor space that would be needed to generate additional revenue from onsite consumption that would be needed to compensate for offsite revenue if it was not available.

My thought this is just another tactic to squeeze more money out of the consumer, similar to hotel resort fees, airline fees, etc. Anyone in the industry care to comment?
Oh, come on. Those packaging supplies cost money. It's fair for them to pass that cost along.

Saving money from additional rent? That's just a silly argument.

There are a lot of costs and a lot of waste in the restaurant business. I wouldn't complain about a small fee for packaging. Unless you're on food stamps, so it makes that much of a difference to you? In which case, should you be spending money on eating out at all?

Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Oh, come on. Those packaging supplies cost money. It's fair for them to pass that cost along.

There are a lot of costs and a lot of waste in the restaurant business. I wouldn't complain about a small fee for packaging. Unless you're on food stamps, so it makes that much of a difference to you? In which case, should you be spending money on eating out at all?
The issue is not whether you are paying for the cost of producing the meal, it's the pettiness of tacking on a "fee" for something that is a part of every takeout meal. You cannot get the food without a container unless you supply your own. What would the restaurant say if you wanted to do that?

Old 01-12-2017, 11:05 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You need to read his statement again.
The OP didn't say that.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The OP didn't say that.
You didn't understand his statement; see the follow-ups.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

I totally disagree with you: I don't think most of us have an issue with the amount of the charge, it is the principle behind it. Of course it costs money to supply the containers but they are saving by not having someone take up a seat in their restaurant, not having to provide table service, etc. how would you feel if your friendly pizza place started charging you for the box your pizza comes in?

as for people on foods stamps, my feeling, no one on food stamps should be able to use them for dining out regardless of where they eat and if they do dine out, they should be charged for the containers if others are.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
The onus is on the business to cover overhead cost. This passing the cost directly to the consumer is double dipping. Restaurants expect the consumer to tip to pay their staff. They are riding consumers to fund all their overhead and pocket the wealth. I worked in restaurant , the owner was well off.. he thought nothing of charging for " his" toys.
It's the addage...give an inch,they'll take a foot. You can't undo once you agree to the fee.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,675 times
I recently ordered a sub from Jimmy Johns to be delivered to my work. There was a $1 delivery fee which I was OK with. I also tipped the person who brought it $1. Not sure if that was appropriate in that situation. She seemed surprised.

Last edited by smartygurl; 01-13-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 09:17 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I recently ordered a sub from Jimmy Johns to be delivered to my work. There was a $1 delivery fee which I was OK with. I also tipped the person who brought it $1. Not sure if that was appropriate in that situation. She seemed surprised.
She was surprised you only tipped a buck, that's being cheap and quite frankly you should abstain from getting food delivered. That's just my two cents in the matter..

Take your displeasure up with the establishment charging a fee, not the driver. That fee isn't going to the driver.

As far as paying a small fee for a takeout container it wouldn't bother me as long as it wasn't over the top. It's not cheap to run a restaurant, they have to pay expenses and food isn't cheap, even wholesale.

I would draw the line at a bag, straw, napkins, certain condiments that normally are used with certain foods.
(catsup for fries and burgers)

If I want to dump ranch on my Pizza I shouldn't expect the restaurant to provide that. (not that I would)

Celery and blue cheese should be provided with wings, it should be factored into cost..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink