Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Cheese is very calorie dense, but I think most people would find it hard to eat more than 300 - 400 calories of pure cheese in a sitting (except maybe on pizza).

On the other hand, for me, I can sit and eat 1,000+ calories of nutritionless bread without even thinking about it and still be hungry for more.
You are right; as much as I love my cheese, a little goes a long way.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:19 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Cheese, in MODERATION, like everything else is ok.

BTW, anyone who thinks those individual slices of "cheese" that go on hamburgers are REAL SLICES of cheese are WRONG. Same for Cheese Whiz. All fake crap.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In moderation. My doctor yells at me about cheese and cholesterol.
Find a new doctor because yours is way behind the times. Here is a little about cheese. This guy is a research guru.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cheese-unhealthy/

Cheese tends to settle my stomach.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The fat in cheddar cheese is the most-saturated part of the milkfat. It's one of the many foods I've pared from my diet over the years, as there are much more healthy alternatives. I take in a pint of non-fat, plain yogurt every day, that has no additives, other than the acidophilus culture.

Dairy products contain a lot of natural salt, but cheese has a large amount added. Excess sodium intake is one of the worst dietary problems in our society. Take a look at the label on cheddar cheese and see how much of it you get with each ounce. Extra sodium will bloat your body with fluid, in its attempt to dilute it. Like most things that are unhealthy, it's price has escalated in recent years.

I've also taken all grain products from my diet, as well as bananas. They have an abundance of carbohydrates, that convert quickly to blood-sugar. The traditional, low-cost feast of macaroni and cheese, is one of the least healthy. It comes down to a simple choice: do you want to indulge in unhealthy foods and compromise your well-being, to the point of death or do you want to make healthy food choices and live well?
I eat plain yogurt, too. I've gotten used to it and actually like it. I eat a fair amount of healthier fats--lots of peanut butter, nuts, fatty fish, etc. and plenty of olive oil. Probably have olive oil blood by now. I think some cheese is okay (like Mediterranean diet advocates). I eat small amts. chocolate, too. I think it's okay as long as not the kind w/ the caramel and other added stuff to it. Eat it straight, Lol, and I like the 70 % or higher dark kind.

As a nurse, I've seen too much. It' s probably played a large role in the way I try to eat healthy. So much of chronic illness is lifestyle related. Eating healthy versus not makes a difference, I think, for a lot of people. Of course, those w/ strong, strong constitutions can probably eat anything, but not too many of them out there.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Specifically, Cabot Extra Sharp White Cheddar.

Is it a good snack for an adult male...
Cheese is on Furhman's five deadliest foods list! Dr. Joel Fuhrman wrote in his book "Eat to Live", "Cheese has more saturated fat and more hormone-containing and -promoting substances than any other food, and the incidence of our hormonally sensitive cancers has skyrocketed."

Old 02-11-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Cheese is on Furhman's five deadliest foods list! Dr. Joel Fuhrman wrote in his book "Eat to Live", "Cheese has more saturated fat and more hormone-containing and -promoting substances than any other food, and the incidence of our hormonally sensitive cancers has skyrocketed."
just remember what one doctor says isn't necessarily the gospel truth. When was the book originally written? How many of you are old enough to remember Adele Stevens? I think that was her name. She was the gal who stressed the importance of red meat, especially organ meats. I think she died of cancer about 10 or more years ago. Many of us followed her advise to the tea when we were young with little kids and wanted to make sure they stayed healthy.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just remember what one doctor says isn't necessarily the gospel truth. When was the book originally written? How many of you are old enough to remember Adele Stevens? I think that was her name. She was the gal who stressed the importance of red meat, especially organ meats. I think she died of cancer about 10 or more years ago. Many of us followed her advise to the tea when we were young with little kids and wanted to make sure they stayed healthy.
btw: her name was Adele Davis not Stevens and she died in 1974; My how times flies by. Some of her idea are still accepted today as good health, like natural foods rather than processed. Most of us believe this, but her idea on meats has been subject of controversy for years.

This is true of so many foods thought to be good or bad for us.

Dr. Furhman reminds me of a modern day, Adele Davis.

Last edited by nmnita; 02-11-2017 at 08:55 AM..

Old 02-11-2017, 09:27 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
It's probably not healthy and should be considered a treat like candy is, still when I have a bowl of beans (good fiber) I can't help but put a slice of cheddar or any cheese on top of it. I don't think cheese is good for the heart, but I don't think a slice every couple of weeks is going to hurt. I do have to try enjoying the beans without any cheese, sour cream, it just takes away from the goodness of the food, but it so adds to the enjoyment of life.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
btw: her name was Adele Davis not Stevens and she died in 1974; My how times flies by. Some of her idea are still accepted today as good health, like natural foods rather than processed. Most of us believe this, but her idea on meats has been subject of controversy for years.

This is true of so many foods thought to be good or bad for us.

Dr. Furhman reminds me of a modern day, Adele Davis.
I have never heard of Adele Davis, but she sounds like she was onto how to eat healthy very early on. In school, we never had nutrition classes, which would have really helped later on, that and personal finance classes. A lot of the classes I had in school, I don't even use, and I could have used those more life relatable classes.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:02 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Actually most studies tend not to support that. Its embedded and repeated in government and healthy living advice, but the science behind it (or rather the epidemiological studies) doesn't really support it. There are a large number of scientists and docs who think that the salt blame has been way overdone. No one is saying increase salt consumption, but its really not the problem its been portrayed to be.
here's a 2011 article in Scientific American, but I remember reading other articles since (incl one in the journal of hypertension...).
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-war-on-salt/
If my ankles aren't swelling, it's not a problem. All of my numbers are OK...except BP this last year and a half. What are you supposed to do when your weight is good, cholesterol and triglycerides are very good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink