Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:14 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course pork is not expensive, and dried beans are a great bargain. I was just giving that as an example.

As a foods and nutrition major I have a good idea on how to shop and cook as inexpensively as one can pretty much and still eat healthy. My point on the once a week was directed on a poster who said "buy in bulk: people living on a very tight fix income rarely have enough extra to buy in bulk. As for fish, decent fish is not inexpensive and most frozen fish isn't good quality. It is fine in a pinch, I know we use it but still not quality.

I do not think some of you realize how tight some people's budgets are and how few extra $$s they have each week?
I believe I do. My point is that it's the same money being spent. Having little or more money isn't going to change spending patterns. Either you spend it each week, or spend it once a month, with the latter being much more beneficial. The same dollar is being spent.

As for the fish, yes I'm aware that frozen cheap fish is generally not good quality. Unless one is lucky enough (like I am) to have two large Caribbean stores that import fish from the Amazon waters in frozen bags, some of which are sold at very reasonable prices.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course pork is not expensive, and dried beans are a great bargain. I was just giving that as an example.

As a foods and nutrition major I have a good idea on how to shop and cook as inexpensively as one can pretty much and still eat healthy. My point on the once a week was directed on a poster who said "buy in bulk: people living on a very tight fix income rarely have enough extra to buy in bulk. As for fish, decent fish is not inexpensive and most frozen fish isn't good quality. It is fine in a pinch, I know we use it but still not quality.

I do not think some of you realize how tight some people's budgets are and how few extra $$s they have each week?
I catch my own but check out the "Alaska cod pieces". It's like four bucks for a big ol bag of cod that is really quality fish. Not as good as my local ling cod but for frozen it's great.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
I buy frozen cod, or frozen haddock, at a reasonable price & it is fine to eat. Of course, nothing is as good, as fresh catch of the day, but even when I lived near a fishing harbor, I could not afford fresh fish, frozen is the way to go. Luckily a few fishermen pals gave us fresh fish sometimes. If one is on a budget, frozen fish can be a good protein to buy & eat.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:39 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
...nothing is as good, as fresh catch of the day...
I don't know about that. I went to a local "seafood" restaurant, and their "catch-of-the-day" was tilapia <ehhhhhrp>.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I can ride my bike over to vons in 5 minutes grab a whole cooked chicken for 5 bucks, a can or bag of veggies and a cup full of minute rice for a family of 4 for 10 bucks.

But I've got 3 freezers and a garage full of canned stuff from the garden. I shoot at least 1 deer a year and I've got some wild boar still from 2 years ago that's almost gone.

No way 30 bucks a day for one person is cheaper. That's a weeks worth of decent food for one person.
If you're eating minute rice and a canned vegetable, sure $30 is a weeks' worth of food for one person, but many of us aren't eating like that. We don't ever buy canned vegetables except for local pickled baby beets. We don't eat Minute rice. We spend far more $30 a week per person just on fresh produce. We spend more than that one meat per person as well.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I don't know about that. I went to a local "seafood" restaurant, and their "catch-of-the-day" was tilapia <ehhhhhrp>.
Caught straight from the poop filled fish tanks in China....yummm....eck

Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I agree with you putting the word "seafood" in quotes.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If you're eating minute rice and a canned vegetable, sure $30 is a weeks' worth of food for one person, but many of us aren't eating like that. We don't ever buy canned vegetables except for local pickled baby beets. We don't eat Minute rice. We spend far more $30 a week per person just on fresh produce. We spend more than that one meat per person as well.
Per person? What kind of food are you getting?

Old 09-22-2017, 01:57 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I believe I do. My point is that it's the same money being spent. Having little or more money isn't going to change spending patterns. Either you spend it each week, or spend it once a month, with the latter being much more beneficial. The same dollar is being spent.

As for the fish, yes I'm aware that frozen cheap fish is generally not good quality. Unless one is lucky enough (like I am) to have two large Caribbean stores that import fish from the Amazon waters in frozen bags, some of which are sold at very reasonable prices.

I'm not sure why you are not getting what she is saying. Some can only afford X amount for the week, and if they buy in bulk it will exceed there budget, so other things wouldn't get paid like rent and stuff. Buying in bulk is great if you have spare cash for that time period, many do not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-22-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Per person? What kind of food are you getting?
We eat a lot of salad every day and fresh veggies. There's usually at 9-10 different vegetables in our salads. We eat a lot of steaks, ham steak, fresh turkey breast, etc. We only buy small packages of meat so it doesn't go to waste. We used to have a freezer stuffed full, but we would forget about it and it would be old and freezer burnt. So we changed to only buy small packages that we could use before they went bad. That's helped tremendously. Yes, it costs more, but not really since we aren't throwing away old meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink