Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:15 AM

936 posts, read 823,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Some women and small children have to be careful with cast iron also... it leaches into food and can cause iron overload in some people.
Actually, all men, children, and post-menopausal women need to be careful with cast iron pans. There is a condition called hemochromatosis (too much iron in your blood stream) that has been on the rise in the past 25 years. It can cause fatigue, nausea, and other illnesses because it throws your hormones out of whack. This condition has been on the rise because so much mass-produced factory food is "fortified with iron." Nearly all of us are eating every day more iron than the body was meant to handle.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/dxc-20167290
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
added FYI

If you are lucky enough to have a Costco business center store near you... they sell items specifically geared towards business: namely cooks restaurant owners etc

So yes they have a fantastic section of pots pans utensils accessories all commercial kitchen grade and typical Costco quality. Biggest benefit you can buy single pots pans skillets etc. no need to buy a full set. you want a brand new 12" non stick skillet ? Buy just one.

And those who don't have a Costco business center store nearby can more than likely locate a restaurant supply store within an easy drive, most are open to the public and a great source for commercial quality gear at reasonable prices.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:32 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN
added FYI

If you are lucky enough to have a Costco business center store near you... they sell items specifically geared towards business: namely cooks restaurant owners etc

So yes they have a fantastic section of pots pans utensils accessories all commercial kitchen grade and typical Costco quality. Biggest benefit you can buy single pots pans skillets etc. no need to buy a full set. you want a brand new 12" non stick skillet ? Buy just one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And those who don't have a Costco business center store nearby can more than likely locate a restaurant supply store within an easy drive, most are open to the public and a great source for commercial quality gear at reasonable prices.
Agree

And there is always Amazon or some other web retailer

The small med and large skillets are the key pieces most of us use / for me for sure. There is no need to buy a 15pc set new when just 2-3 of the pcs are used 90% of the time

Old 10-18-2017, 12:59 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
well seasoned cast iron doesn't normally stick unless someone is cooking improperly.

Typically, heating up the pan until it's hot and not putting anything in it until the oil has heat up until smoking/nearly smoking and there should be minimal sticking.

non stick is usually a crutch for the inexperienced cooks.

You said it all about cast iron. But it takes some work and know-how to oil and season it. Many people want something that does everything, without any effort on their part. And cleaning cast irons pans also takes some expertise. Never wash or scrub them, but rub them out with a rag. The latest microfiber cleaning cloths work best. I get mine in inexpensive 8-packs at auto supply stores. But often, I use the stainless-steel, copper-clad Revere Ware pots and pans that were in my family before I was born. You have to work at cooking improperly, to get food to stick on them. Put a smoke alarm over the stove and if it sounds, you are not tending to your cooking carefully enough.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:02 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
There is no need to buy a 15pc set new when just 2-3 of the pcs are used 90% of the time
Indeed. 15 pc set usually turns out to be 4 pieces that are covers, 7 that you'd rarely use, and 4 that are truly useful.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWest View Post
Looking for a truly nonstick cookware.

This is how it goes someone say try this Brand name, I go to Amazon, check out the product, description, features & details. Lastly, I go and read the reviews.

Some reviews will give the product 1 Star.. Say food sticks after having it less than a year, not a good product, horrible & DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! And will recommend another Brand name they personally prefer.

Well... I go to the Brand name the previous reviewer recommended, same thing again you will have some reviews giving it 1 Star, saying food sticks after having it for less than a year, not a good product, horrible & DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! And will recommend another Brand name they personally prefer.

So it goes on & on & on it never ends.
Bottom line before I spend my hard-earned cash, can someone refer me to a truly nonstick cookware.
Thanks!
I usually get rid of non stick pans after a year - buy them at a place like Ross. I try to get Calphalon.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I have a ScanPan skillet that is used twice a day on an induction cooktop. You know that feature on induction that heats in a second? I have put a tiny amount of oil in the pan, burner on kill, then forgot it until the smoke alarm went off. The pan is great. Nothing sticks. If it does, a few minutes in the sink and it is as good as new. I put it in the dishwasher. Been mistreating this pan for years. I use any tool that jumps into my hand when I open the drawer. Metal, plastic or wood. It depends on what is being cooked.

Check out scan pan at Sur Le Table.

I have a lifetime collection Le Creuset It is also pretty much not stick, but it is getting a little too heavy for hauling in and out. Nothing cooks better, though.
OMG - I have a set of Scan Pan sauce pans/pots and I love them!! I bought the set over 10 years ago - maybe 15 - at a Tuesday Morning. LOVE THEM!!!!!

Only paid 40 dollars. Original price was something ridiculous, but if I ever lost them, I would get the same brand again.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Have you tried twirling and tilting a crepe pan made of cast iron? My wrist would snap. I would think there are instances when a lightweight pan is necessary - one pan does not do every job in the kitchen.

I'm curious about the OXO good grips one mentioned upthread.

Has anyone bought an All Clad pan and not liked it? I think it's the only big name brand that is still made in USA. Everything else, it seems, is made in China.
Yes - I threw away two al-clad nonstick pans. What a waste of dinero. Really ticked me off

Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
I have All Clad copper core I use for most cooking, some cast iron, and just 1 non stick reserved for hubby to use. He can’t be bothered to learn how to use or clean the other pans correctly. And since he can’t follow the “no metal utensils” rule with his non-stick pan, I just replace it as needed with whatever I can find at Home Goods.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Yes - I threw away two all-clad nonstick pans. What a waste of dinero. Really ticked me off
Most of my pots and pans now are All-Clad, but I would never have paid what they wanted for their non-stick, at least not at the time when I was buying my cookware. Now they're offering something different, a much less expensive non-stick line. I have not bought them, and I have no knowledge of how long this type of non-stickness would last. As much as I might be tempted to be a completist, I have two T-Fal non-stick pans that work just fine.)

https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-E785...-clad+nonstick

Last edited by jay5835; 10-18-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House