Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Glad you got some help OP.
But, Wow....All this fuss is simply reinforcing my life long love for my ancient cast iron skillets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
No I did not dry the chicken pieces, they were still full of marinade. And I did not get the pan hot enough. And I flipped the chicken too soon. Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^^^ That's the problem. Too much of juices (marinade) with the chicken caused it to simmer not brown.
If you want your marinaded chicken to be brown, remember to drain your chicken of the marinade and lie your chicken in a lightly greased baking dish. Don't worry, your chicken meat IS already marinaded.
Just forget the fancy pan, and bake it in the oven.
Then bake in the preheated (350F) oven until the chicken breasts are golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 30 to 40 minutes. The temp in the center should be around 160F. If you bake it longer, the chicken will be hard and dry, instead of moist and tender.

(of course, you can also use your fancy all-clad toy, but the rule is the same - drain the chicken, add a bit of cooking oil, and fry until golden brown).

Old 11-15-2017, 06:51 PM

209 posts, read 417,267 times
Also, be sure not to fill up the pan (like wall to wall meat). When it's crowded the meat tends to just steam.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I want to know which All Clad line of pans are you using?

Stainless pans can definitely be used on high heat.

If you have non stick pans, then those cannot be used on higher than medium heat.

Here is a test to make sure your pan is ready to be used: heat the pan on med-high heat. Drop a tiny drop of water on the heated surface. If it makes a sizzling ball before dissolving, it is ready to use. Add oil and proceed.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:44 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I want to know which All Clad line of pans are you using?

Stainless pans can definitely be used on high heat.

If you have non stick pans, then those cannot be used on higher than medium heat.

Here is a test to make sure your pan is ready to be used: heat the pan on med-high heat. Drop a tiny drop of water on the heated surface. If it makes a sizzling ball before dissolving, it is ready to use. Add oil and proceed.
Yeah I'm using the stainless steel pans. But they all come with little booklets that say use only low and medium heat. I don't know if the reason they advise against high heat is to prevent warping. But I can tell you there's stories all over the Internet about All-Clad stainless warping.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:59 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
I tried to make chicken fajitas yesterday and the chicken came out gray and not all all browned.

My understanding (from the great folks on CD!) is that All-Clad pans are not supposed to be used on high heat (due to warping and other issues)? If so, then how does the meat ever brown?

I put my 5 quart AC saute pan on my glass top stove. Turned burner to medium. Let pan get hot for about 2 minutes. Added butter and safflower oil. Dumped my marinated chicken slivers in. Then they all just sort of poached in the butter and oil.

In addition, I thought these pans were tremendous heat conductors? Yet the outer parts of the pan were not sizzling?

What am I doing wrong?
Why on earth would you cook with a pan that you can't use with high heat?

Old 11-16-2017, 09:04 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Gee, why even bother to spend all that money on high-dollar pans if you can't even use high heat?? My Better Homes and Gardens tri-ply stainless steel set works just fine, no warping.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Most chicken nowadays is injected with a salt water solution to plump it up and make is look better. When you heat it, the water releases, and you end up with poached chicken.

Next time you may want to look for chicken that doesn't have this solution. Just be forewarned, it may be harder to find than you think.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
I tried to make chicken fajitas yesterday and the chicken came out gray and not all all browned.

My understanding (from the great folks on CD!) is that All-Clad pans are not supposed to be used on high heat (due to warping and other issues)? If so, then how does the meat ever brown?

I put my 5 quart AC saute pan on my glass top stove. Turned burner to medium. Let pan get hot for about 2 minutes. Added butter and safflower oil. Dumped my marinated chicken slivers in. Then they all just sort of poached in the butter and oil.

In addition, I thought these pans were tremendous heat conductors? Yet the outer parts of the pan were not sizzling?

What am I doing wrong?
The pan and oil wasn't hot enough. It's not a timed thing. It's a temperature thing. You can put your hand over the oil - NOT in the oil - to test for heat. Did you use a burner the same size as the pan? That's a big deal with our glass cooktop. Some of the burner settings don't work well with saute pans because of the size of the pan. An 8 inch pan will cook better on an 8 inch burner versus a 6 inch burner.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Glad you got some help OP.
But, Wow....All this fuss is simply reinforcing my life long love for my ancient cast iron skillets.
Yep! there is a reason that the mexican restaurants don't bring their sizzling fajitas out on small all clad pans. pick up on cast iron skillet and you are good to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink