Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

Foods like fajitas are intended to be cooked on a screaming hot pan, pretty much as hot as possible, so maybe you shouldn't be cooking fajitas in an All-clad. The same goes for stir frys or anything where the meat and vegetables are sliced or diced to small/thin pieces.

Even thicker pieces of meat done in pans should be seared in the pan at high temperatures and then finished in the oven.

Any pan that cannot be used under high heat should be thrown away. I suppose an omelette pan would be the major exception. Pots and saucepans, since they are intended for sauces, soups, and stews which don't need to brown or sear, I guess would be OK. But anything intended for frying needs to be able to get hot.

Get some cast iron or cheap stainless and cook everything from low to high. Spending big money on boutique pans and skillets that can't be used under normal cooking conditions sounds like a joke, like a sports car that isn't designed to be driven over 45 mph because the wheels will fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,134,122 times
One other note: All burners on electric stoves wear out over time and need to be replaced. What was once a high burner may now be a medium or even a low, no matter what you set it for. Just something to think about.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
I also recommend getting a cast iron pan. You can get a good one for about $20. It's basically the only thing I use at home. Another option is to use the broiler in your oven. Put marinated chicken in a pan under the broiler and it will definitely get browned and a bit charred

Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
I would also recommend pounding the chicken breast to a consistent thickness of a half inch or less and cooking it in one piece, then slicing it into strips after it has sat for a few minutes.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yeah I'm using the stainless steel pans. But they all come with little booklets that say use only low and medium heat. I don't know if the reason they advise against high heat is to prevent warping. But I can tell you there's stories all over the Internet about All-Clad stainless warping.
OK. All Clad makes several lines. Which line did you buy?

Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
OK. All Clad makes several lines. Which line did you buy?
The standard tri-ply line. I used this pan.

https://www.everythingkitchens.com/a...saute-pan.html

Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM

I checked your pan’s specs and other info. The pan is oven safe, and I did not see any heat limit. If the pan is oven safe and there is no upper heat limit, then I can’t see why the pan could not handle high heat. However, I don’t think you should use high heat because there is no need. I saute on medium high, and then lower the heat to medium. You get browning with higher heat, and once the pan is heated, it should hold the heat well, even dialed back to medium.

I’ve never used an All Clad saute pan, but I’ve used stainless saute pans for over 40 years. I’ve never worried about using them on high heat. I have learned to use medium high heat instead of high heat at first, though.

There are many cooking videos on YouTube. You might have a look at some to get the hang of sauteing.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I checked your pan’s specs and other info. The pan is oven safe, and I did not see any heat limit. If the pan is oven safe and there is no upper heat limit, then I can’t see why the pan could not handle high heat. However, I don’t think you should use high heat because there is no need. I saute on medium high, and then lower the heat to medium. You get browning with higher heat, and once the pan is heated, it should hold the heat well, even dialed back to medium.

I’ve never used an All Clad saute pan, but I’ve used stainless saute pans for over 40 years. I’ve never worried about using them on high heat. I have learned to use medium high heat instead of high heat at first, though.

There are many cooking videos on YouTube. You might have a look at some to get the hang of sauteing.
All-Clad's website says this in the FAQ:
Quote:
All-Clad recommends low to medium heat for frying, braising, sautéing and simmering because All-Clad is ideally crafted to hold heat. ​​
It's true it doesn't say the pan will be damaged over high heat, but they go out of their way to recommend lower heat on their website and all of their literature that comes with the cookware.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
You may need to brown your chicken in batches. Place in a hot pan, so the meat isn’t touching. All the moisture should cook away, if your pan is hot enough. Don’t flip it until it releases. It’s a dance between not burning the butter, and browning the meat. On my stove this is between med low and med high, depending on the pan.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
All-Clad's website says this in the FAQ:

It's true it doesn't say the pan will be damaged over high heat, but they go out of their way to recommend lower heat on their website and all of their literature that comes with the cookware.
Yes. But you can't saute on low heat. It doesn't work. Why own a saute pan that doesn't properly saute?

When I used a glass top electric cooktop, I learned to heat everything on medium heat. I could saute that way, but it took awhile to get the saute pan up to the right heat. On that unit, in my Cuisinart stainless saute pan, I cooked everything on medium heat. So, I suppose the OP could allow extra time, and heat his/her pan on medium heat.

I now use this saute pan and I start everything at medium high heat. I heat the pan, as I have described in another post, and then add a high heat oil, then add the protein or onions, whichever I need to saute at that point.

https://www.amazon.com/SITRAM-711843...ute+profiserie

I think you can get this for a lower price elsewhere. At any rate, it works well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink