Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:30 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

I suck at baking. Hands down most things do not turn out right, and I am careful measuring.

My naan doesn't fluff, my Thanksgiving gnocci came out the consistency of mochi, and last night's dumplings were dense little dough bombs (maybe that's how they are supposed to be?).

Why am I bad at this?!! AND how to I learn to be better?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I suck at baking. Hands down most things do not turn out right, and I am careful measuring.

My naan doesn't fluff, my Thanksgiving gnocci came out the consistency of mochi, and last night's dumplings were dense little dough bombs (maybe that's how they are supposed to be?).

I happen to know a number of professional chefs and they all say baking is the hardest form of cooking...it's chemistry...not every good chef can do it.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I happen to know a number of professional chefs and they all say baking is the hardest form of cooking...it's chemistry...not every good chef can do it.
That's why I never enjoyed it, once you make it, you can't fix it like you can with most cooking.

I've heard that even things like humidity can mess stuff up (we have lots), so they describe what your dough should look like.

I can't remember the term the recipe used, something like "sketchy", I forget but my dough wasn't that, so I added 2 tbsp more flour, and thought I should add more.... but stopped because I don't know what the heck I am doing.

In my defense.... the broth was divine!!

Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
I think most of us who have trouble with baking are people who tend to "overwork" the dough. Including me. I remember once watching a teacher make biscuits (this was in the south) and was surprised to see her just sort of turn the dough over a few times, pat it a bit, then cut it into size and bake. They came out great. My tendency would be to really mix it - to make sure everything was well mixed together and no pockets of something like baking powder or sugar or whatever - and maybe the dough doesn't like that so much.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM

I could see that being a problem with me too.....

Old 11-27-2017, 11:31 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Mikala, I have a small part of the baking gene.
Honestly just go to the bakery or buy pre made, it is much easier, cost effective and less frustrating.
One of my Grandmas could bake anything and never measure but she could not boil water without burning it.
My other Grandma could cook cardboard and make it delicious but could not bake to save her soul from hades.

This is the recipe from my Grandma and her noodles, it is easy if you want to give it a go.

1 stick of Butter (real butter)
Yellow Onions
1 Cup flour
1 Egg
Ice water (this one is a trial and error but I start with 1/4 Cup or less).

Put ice and water in measure cup, let sit until water is cold, remove ice right before using in recipe
Saute onions in butter until translucent
Put 1 cup flour, one egg, and water in mix bowl, mix with a fork until combined and sticky.
Put out on a heavily floured area, turn and flour the other side, start rolling and adding flour until dough is about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick and not sticky.
Cut into strips with a pizza cutter.
Add to rolling boiling water for at least 10 minutes (until the noodles float).
Remove noodles, pour butter and onion mixture (warm it again) over noodles, toss to coat.
Pepper and salt to your liking, serve.

Give this a go and keep practicing, once they work out you can move on to trying one thing at a time until you master it.
I personally limit myself to the things I know I do well like snickerdoodles, pizzelles, pie dough, Grandmas Noodles and Toll House Double Chocolate Chocolate Chip (there is a trick to make them double chocolate without adding additional chocolate).

Old 11-27-2017, 11:39 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:

I guess I am confused. Aren't dumplings usually cooked in simmering water? I don't know about naan.

Baking to me means cooking something in the oven.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:45 AM

Yes the dumplings were cooked in the soup.

CSD, pasta is one of the things that I wanted to try!! I love fresh pasta. I wanted to buy the pasta accessory for my Kitchen aid, but didn't when the pre-diabetes started.

Sigh. Yeah, you can buy good baked goods and it's not expensive. It just seemed like a skill I should have. At least the basics.

Hmmm, that reminds me, there was a cookbook on just ratios (salad dressings, biscuits, rouex, etc) and it had a lot of baked items, maybe I will pick it up.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:58 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Yes the dumplings were cooked in the soup.

CSD, pasta is one of the things that I wanted to try!! I love fresh pasta. I wanted to buy the pasta accessory for my Kitchen aid, but didn't when the pre-diabetes started.

Sigh. Yeah, you can buy good baked goods and it's not expensive. It just seemed like a skill I should have. At least the basics.

Hmmm, that reminds me, there was a cookbook on just ratios (salad dressings, biscuits, rouex, etc) and it had a lot of baked items, maybe I will pick it up.
Grandmas Noodles makes a small batch that are more gooder (according to Mr. CSD) the next day.
Pasta and pre-diabetes/diabetes is okay in moderation 1/4 - 1/2 cup but no more than 1 cup at a time.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Grandmas Noodles makes a small batch that are more gooder (according to Mr. CSD) the next day.
Pasta and pre-diabetes/diabetes is okay in moderation 1/4 - 1/2 cup but no more than 1 cup at a time.

I had bought artisinal (sp!!) pasta from Pike's Market in Seattle, and it was so yummy. I envisioned myself making all these different flavored pastas... healthy and tasty.

I think I will try your Grandma's recipe, I'll let you know how it turns out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink