Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store is better?
Wegmans 51 60.00%
Publix 34 40.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:40 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually it seems they're going the opposite as Greenwise selection is pretty minimal and would guess their sourcing difficult given the limitation of supply of legit organic meats/produce especially if considering the scope needed to supply. FL is also woefully lacking in organic farms so having to figure out transportation logistics might whittle away too much of their profit margins.
Sorry, but maybe that is just where you are. The Publix where I live have greatly expanded their Greenwise selections in virtually EVERY category! I can buy organic anything I want, even at my older smaller store. I have no need to go to Trader Joes with it's overpriced, spoiled, stale food. And Florida has several organic farms, so I don't know what you are talking about in that regard. many of them are right in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 07:22 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,853,098 times
I believe there are only two markets where Publix and Wegmans are currently going head-to-head, Richmond and Raleigh. I don’t know about in Virginia, but here Publix is treated as an alternative to Harris Teeter. Wegmans is treated as a destination shopping experience.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:55 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I have not shopped at a Wegmans, but I shop a lot at Publix. Publix is reliably good, that is, clean and has good variety and quality. My opinion is that Wegmans sounds more like a Harris Teeter than a Publix.

Harris Teeter has more gourmet options, kind of like a Whole Foods, whereas Publix has more basic items. I’d love to go to a Wegmans some day to see what the fuss is about.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Wegman's and it's not even close.

MY DH is from Rochester, NY. Took me to the Pittford location (I think--it's the most massive one, the "flagship store" there) for the true authentic experience to get a sub from there, most massive, insane grocery store I've ever seen in my life.

Also hands down best sub I've ever had. The godfather on the everything bread.

We have Publix here in Knox, and it's the closest thing we have to Wegman's, but still it's no contest.

Half the reason I get excited to see the inlaws is to get a sub from Wegmans. Also, their generic brand is excellent. I would also recommend their deli white american cheese. Lol, going to Rochester in a week, actually. Excited for the cheese my MIL stocks haha.

All in all, I do my shopping at Kroger, though. Publix is kinda pricey. I feel Kroger is just pennies more than Wal-mart, definitely worth the teeny difference not to go to Wal Mart. "The flagship" brand new Kroger is 5 mins from my house and is mostly excellent, Kroger generic is very good too. I see legit, noticeable savings in my fuel bills from my Kroger points, too.

I agree that Wegman's is better than Publix, and I really like Publix.

Don't agree about Kroger. Lived in Michigan for 14 years, where there was little else but Kroger (other than Meijer, which isn't much better), and I found most of stores to be dirty, with poorly trained staff.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I have 4 Wegmans around me but I prefer Shoprite since many of them upgraded to compete head on against Wegmans. Competition is good. I often find Wegman a bit over priced for same products I can find cheaper at Shoprite and Costco.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:46 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I believe there are only two markets where Publix and Wegmans are currently going head-to-head, Richmond and Raleigh. I don’t know about in Virginia, but here Publix is treated as an alternative to Harris Teeter. Wegmans is treated as a destination shopping experience.
We have Wegmans and Publix in Fredericksburg too. I've been to Publix a couple of times, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with their offerings as I've been with Wegmans. Publix does have a lot of nice fruits and veggies, but so does Wegmans. They seem to offer more lunch meats (they have a huge selection of Boars Head meats), which I can't eat, whereas Wegmans has more fresh meats. I also like Wegmans sushi as a treat

Old 02-17-2021, 09:24 PM

35,079 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I agree that Wegman's is better than Publix, and I really like Publix.

Don't agree about Kroger. Lived in Michigan for 14 years, where there was little else but Kroger (other than Meijer, which isn't much better), and I found most of stores to be dirty, with poorly trained staff.
Kroger has certain stores called Kroger Marketplace that have a higher end concept like Wegman's. Not the real thing, but nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products