Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store is better?
Wegmans 51 60.00%
Publix 34 40.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:17 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Publix (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia)

Wegmans (Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia)

This is like comparing Winco Foods (Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington) to the other 2. Not everyone has one near them. I'd LOVE to have an Aldi's in Vancouver, WA. I thoroughly enjoyed shopping there while in Iowa.
I can't speak for Wegman's but I been to Winco. A friend of mine worked at the one in Garland when they opened It, and then quit when he moved in with me. The times I been there I found it too warehousy. They have these giant vent pipes sticking out, feels like a spaceship lol. I much prefer Publix. They offer more and better quality. The stores are cleaner and look nicer, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthegoat View Post
I live in Texas and we have neither, but I have been to both. I like Wegeman's. If I lived near one I would go.
If you are in Texas I assume you been to HEB? How does it fare against Public in your opinion?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:35 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Asked my son about just that. His answer is that there are no plans to move into Giant Eagle territory. In turn, G-E has no plans to move into Wegman's territory. That only makes sense as where G-E's hold ends, Giant Stores takes over. Southwest Pa has G-E's Market District and there's little Wegman's could add to that mix. Better opportunities elsewhere for Wegman's.
This is very common with Wegmans and can likely be traced back to many "handshake deals" founder Bob Wegman made with other grocery store owners during the 1970s. Wegmans has dominated Western and Central NY, even moved into the NYC market, but has strangely never come close to opening a store near Albany. This is because of an old gentlemen's agreement between Wegmans, Price Chopper and Hannaford to not compete with each other. This is likely the case with Southwest Pennsylvania as well. I've heard Wegmans made a similar agreement with Publix eons ago, but they will soon be competing in the Virginia Beach market and rumor has it Danny Wegmans (Bob's son, new CEO) has his eyes on Florida as an ultimate goal.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:42 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,899,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
This is very common with Wegmans and can likely be traced back to many "handshake deals" founder Bob Wegman made with other grocery store owners during the 1970s. Wegmans has dominated Western and Central NY, even moved into the NYC market, but has strangely never come close to opening a store near Albany. This is because of an old gentlemen's agreement between Wegmans, Price Chopper and Hannaford to not compete with each other. This is likely the case with Southwest Pennsylvania as well. I've heard Wegmans made a similar agreement with Publix eons ago, but they will soon be competing in the Virginia Beach market and rumor has it Danny Wegmans (Bob's son, new CEO) has his eyes on Florida as an ultimate goal.
Wegmans in Florida? I doubt it. The cost of setting up a distribution center and going head to head with Publix, which already has the best locations sewn up, would be daunting. Albertsons sold 49 locations to Publix in 2008 and they are the 2nd largest grocery chain in the USA. Publix has more locations in Florida than all the competition combined. Winn Dixie and Walmart are the main competitors. The only way Wegmans could expand successfully into Florida is to buy another chain which is not their M O. I suspect they will continue on their current path opening a few here and there. Its not like Publix is having financial difficulties which would give another chain an opening. People complain about Publix prices but its not like Wegmans is a low price provider like Walmart. Wegmans does best when they are not going head to head with a similar company. It reminds me of Harris Teeter in NC before they were bought out by Kroger, they would open up stores everywhere to keep out the competition. We live in Ponte Vedra Beach and there are 3 Publix within a 5 mile radius plus 1 in Nocatee and another soon in Palencia. Facebook has 2.8 million likes for Publix and 400,000 for Wegmans and they are tied for first place as Americas favorite grocers.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 01-19-2018 at 06:00 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 AM

https://boston.eater.com/2018/1/16/1...natick-wegmans

Old 01-19-2018, 07:36 AM

Danny Wegman steps back as CEO of Wegmans, takes on chairman role | WHAM

Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Wegmans in Florida? I doubt it. The cost of setting up a distribution center and going head to head with Publix, which already has the best locations sewn up, would be daunting. Albertsons sold 49 locations to Publix in 2008 and they are the 2nd largest grocery chain in the USA. Publix has more locations in Florida than all the competition combined. Winn Dixie and Walmart are the main competitors. The only way Wegmans could expand successfully into Florida is to buy another chain which is not their M O. I suspect they will continue on their current path opening a few here and there. Its not like Publix is having financial difficulties which would give another chain an opening. People complain about Publix prices but its not like Wegmans is a low price provider like Walmart. Wegmans does best when they are not going head to head with a similar company. It reminds me of Harris Teeter in NC before they were bought out by Kroger, they would open up stores everywhere to keep out the competition. We live in Ponte Vedra Beach and there are 3 Publix within a 5 mile radius plus 1 in Nocatee and another soon in Palencia. Facebook has 2.8 million likes for Publix and 400,000 for Wegmans and they are tied for first place as Americas favorite grocers.

Exactly.

Wegmans has always been honest about where they intended to expand, and they've specifically said that FL is NOT among those areas. LOL neither is CA (or anywhere out west), as we learned when Danny got wind that Cher, here for a concert about 20 years ago, asked to speak with him and said she wished they'd go to Malibu.

Now, southeast? Definitely. And I think they're eventually going to move their headquarters to NC, too.

And you're correct about Wegmans competition strategy. They drove one local chain out, Star, but that was due to the "coupon wars" popular at the time. When Walmart announced plans to build a superstore in the defunct plaza next to Wegmans, in the largest suburb here, Wegmans closed that store one month before Walmart broke ground, in 2011. Interestingly, that Wegmans was their first "superstore" model, but they didn't want the competition, and expansion of that Wegmans (built in '83) to equal the greater square footage of newer ones, wasn't feasible. Tops is still doing well, most notably with their new stores built in smaller towns. Wegmans has no interest in small towns-- or the city. Their only city presence now is on East Avenue-- down the street from the George Eastman house.

That said, when Wegmans has a site in their sights LOL, they're getting in somewhere around there. It's happened locally and in NC, where resistance was met with their first proposed location.

I grew up with Wegmans, and love Wegmans all day long. But, despite the signs hanging all over their stores about their "consistently low prices," (because, otherwise, that fact might escape you), it's an expensive store that has also been pushing its own brands while removing name brands from their shelves. No more Sargento cheese at Wegmans.

It's a good thing when there's a Wegmans in your area. But you'd better hope there's competition. And unless you're one of those shoppers who gets in the pay more here line, you'd better know how to shop.

Believe it.

ETA: Please, folks, there's no apostrophe in "Wegmans," not even to denote the possessive. They hate that!

Last edited by Delahanty; 01-19-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly.

Wegmans has always been honest about where they intended to expand, and they've specifically said that FL is NOT among those areas. LOL neither is CA (or anywhere out west), as we learned when Danny got wind that Cher, here for a concert about 20 years ago, asked to speak with him and said she wished they'd go to Malibu.

Now, southeast? Definitely. And I think they're eventually going to move their headquarters to NC, too.

And you're correct about Wegmans competition strategy. They drove one local chain out, Star, but that was due to the "coupon wars" popular at the time. When Walmart announced plans to build a superstore in the defunct plaza next to Wegmans, in the largest suburb here, Wegmans closed that store one month before Walmart broke ground, in 2011. Interestingly, that Wegmans was their first "superstore" model, but they didn't want the competition, and expansion of that Wegmans (built in '83) to equal the greater square footage of newer ones, wasn't feasible. Tops is still doing well, most notably with their new stores built in smaller towns. Wegmans has no interest in small towns-- or the city. Their only city presence now is on East Avenue-- down the street from the George Eastman house.

That said, when Wegmans has a site in their sights LOL, theyhate're getting in somewhere around there. It's happened locally and in NC, where resistance was met with their first proposed location.

I grew up with Wegmans, and love Wegmans all day long. But, despite the signs hanging all over their stores about their "consistently low prices," (because, otherwise, that fact might escape you), it's an expensive store that has also been pushing its own brands while removing name brands from their shelves. No more Sargento cheese at Wegmans.

It's a good thing when there's a Wegmans in your area. But you'd better hope there's competition. And unless you're one of those shoppers who gets in the pay more here line, you'd better know how to shop.

Believe it.

ETA: Please, folks, there's apostrophe in "Wegmans," not even to denote the possessive. They hate that!
I always wondered why Wegmans was selling boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.99/lb and chicken drumsticks for $.99 until I went to Walmart who has them for $1.88 and $0.99 respectively. Wegmans charges whatever they can get away with. Cold cuts recently went up. Like the previous poster said you better hope they have competition or else you are gonna get soaked. I used to buy blanched and slivered almonds in the bulk foods for $6.99/lb, all of a sudden they vanished and were replaced by a prepack for $6.99 for 9 ounces. With Danny handing off the reigns to his daughter it will be interesting to see what happens.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Never been to either - must not be in the Midwest. Where exactly are the areas that have BOTH?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,177 times
Publix has great customer service and fantastic sale prices on packaged goods (BOGOs every week and selected loss leaders)-- but their regular prices are full retails and their bakery and subs are overrated (they're decent but not gourmet) and their fresh produce, both selection and quality, leaves a LOT to be desired.

Wegmans freshly baked goods and subs are seemingly of much higher quality. Their pricing strategy is similar (full retail other than sales-- and selected loss leaders) to Publix. But their 'take and go', sub and salad/olive bar is far superior to Publix. They also have fabulous customer service.

I am now in the Upper Midwest but would welcome a Wegmans-- but a Publix? Meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products