Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store is better?
Wegmans 51 60.00%
Publix 34 40.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times

Advertisements

We don't have Publix or Wegman's in NYC.
I have been to Wegman's when visiting Rochester and in the suburbs of Philadelphia where I have family. Been to Publix when visiting Florida.

Wegman's wins for me. Nicer stores with more and better variety of foods. Their store brand products are good quality and reasonably priced. That said, they're both much too large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Wow this is a runaway for Wegmans. I thought it would be far more competitive than this because both stores are great, but I knew Wegmans was something special. Publix is a wonderful store too.

I would still like to hear from someone who has had both a Wegmans sub and a Publix sub so we can settle that debate within the debate.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:39 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What?

I am in New Jersey. I have a Wegman's. You do know it's a Rochester, New York, based store, right? While that's not exactly on the coast as we are, it's in YOUR state.

Besides, isn't Florida on the East Coast, too? That's where Publix is.

I only remember Publix from going to Florida when my MIL lived there in the 80s. It was just a supermarket. The only thing I remember that was any different from the NJ supermarkets was that they carried your groceries out to your car for you, but that's probably because of the higher senior population.

Wegman's has specialty foods like (my favorite) the Mediterranean Bar and prepared soups and foods, as well as good grocery selections and excellent produce. What's more, it's not as expensive as Whole Foods, even though the selection and products are comparable.

My Wegman's is about 20 minutes away, so I don't go there all the time since I have an Acme right by the house. Acme is your run-of-the-mill supermarket, as I recall Publix being.
I forgot there are Publix in Florida. I am on Long Island and we don't have either store. Never been to either store when I was out of state. I did not know it was a Rochester NY based store.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:22 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Yeah, I've been keeping tabs on all the potential locations. Wake Forest Rd. is pretty far from me (too far and too much traffic for regular shopping trips). I'm much closer to the Cary Towne Blvd potential location, which was supposed to be the first in the area, but has gotten mired down in rezoning and approvals.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 AM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
Wegmans is in a different class than Publix. Both nice, but Wegmans has better prepared food, better seafood, better meats, better cheese department and a Mediterranean bar. Publix has better fried chicken. I’ve had subs from both and they are comparable. But then again, I ask for my sub to be built to my specifications, so they are very similar. I’ve only been in 3 different Publix when I lived down south and they were all alike. I’ve been in 6 or 7 different Wegmans. My local Wegmans blows the ones in the DC suburbs out of the water. In the Rochester area, there are Wegmans that blow my local stores out of the water. But there are also older Wegmans stores that are just average.
The Pittsburgh area has some really nice Giant Eagle Marketplace stores. Wegmans is slowly creeping farther west and I am interested to see when they clash up against Giant Eagle.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I haven't been to a Wegmans since I was in college. I loved that store. Now I spend my time in FL/TN and NC.

In FL my go to is Publix. They are more expensive but the meat and customer service is better than Winn Dixie. For a treat Publix does have the best fried chicken around.

In NC I find Harris Teeter to be too expensive and the new Publix is nice but also high priced except for sale items so I do most of my shopping at Food Lion. I don't buy a lot of pre made items so I don't need fancy delis and bakeries.

As for subs...sorry can't help you there

Old 01-17-2018, 07:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I am on Long Island and we don't have either store.
I grew up on LI and still have family there. What happened to all of your grocery stores? Each year when I go up it seems more and more close down.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Errr, Wegmans and Publix ARE NOT THE SAME concepts. I've shopped both.

Love Publix, it's a NICE grocery store. (I lived in GA.) It's a great regular grocery chain.

Wegmans is like a Whole Foods combined with a conventional grocery store. The prepared foods section is gigantic. AND it has a restaurant with made-to-order offerings, and most stores also offer wood-fired pizza, sushi, salad and ethnic buffets. You have tons of natural, organic and ethnic options in the aisles AND you can buy Tide, Kleenex, Fruit Loops and Oreos along with your organic-anything-you-want. Price-wise it's VERY reasonable, mostly identical to regular grocery stores around here.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Wegmans prices are not much higher than any of the competing chains in my area. When it was being built (it's less than a mile from me) it had this reputation as being a grocery store for rich people, but I can afford to shop there and I'm hardly rich. It just makes you feel like it's of a higher standard because of the dim lighting and fancy decor.

Their subs are outstanding, and cost just as much as Subway or any of the other sub shops in the area but far superior. The bread and ingredients they use make a big difference.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Wegmans and Publix are two of the most popular grocery stores in the United States and both of them are constantly topping the "favorite" lists.

Maybe in some parts of the US, but I've never seen either store anywhere in the Western US. So I have absolutely no idea what it's like to shop at either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products