Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM

16,428 posts, read 12,549,337 times

Advertisements

I'd rather sit in a restaurant by myself than do takeout or delivery which is cold by the time it gets to me.

I guess to me, eating out isn't necessarily a social activity. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's just getting myself fed without the hassle of cooking and cleaning.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:14 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I always have been nervous about going to a dine-in restaurant alone, but I think I may do it more often. I don't really have any friends to go out to eat with and there are so many restaurants around here to try out. When you go out to eat alone, do you worry you are being watched? It seems people look at you as some sort of freak when you go to a sit-down restaurant alone...not that it should matter what people think. When I have gone out to a restaurant alone, I almost never see other people eating alone so I thought maybe it was odd to go alone.
No issues eating alone. Then again, I tend lean towards the side of the social line of "I give much less of a **** what others think of me". It's very relaxing, but it can also reflect poorly in situations where it matters. One of the first things I've learned in high school was unless you're beautiful, popular, naked, or on fire... nobody pays any attention to you.
Some bonuses of dining include but not limited to:
--easier to order things
Even if everyone does their own thing, I believe it's that much more work for the servers none of the less
--be alone with your thoughts
I tend to dine in restaurants with others, as I'd also like to get the social aspect in (of which dine-in restaurants are typically better set up for that)
--you look like you're doing a review
Especially if you set up a laptop, tablet/PDA with a keyboard. I'm told you get better treatment b/c they often seek good reviews to pump up business.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM

714 posts, read 723,780 times
I really dislike sitting alone in a restaurant, mostly because wait staff tends to think women alone, especially older ones, are going to be lousy tippers. But it's something I really feel I need to get over at some point. I've done it, mostly while traveling for business. But now that I'm retired, there isn't always someone available for lunch and there are places I want to try.

Where I used to live there is a neighborhood bar with great pub grub where I was friendly with the female bartender who works during the day. So sometimes I would go there when it wasn't crowded on a Saturday afternoon for a burger and a beer. But I would have to know the bartender to do that on a regular basis.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't like to eat out alone.

When I eat, I like to eat with others. Eating out to me is more than just the food. It's the place. The ambiance. Being served.

If eating out was only because I was hungry, I'd cook for myself at home.

Eating out, to me, is a social event.
It mostly can be, but I have been in the position of being a single woman living in a place where I knew no one and simply did not want to sit home alone another night. It WAS a social event of sorts, because I was out among other humans, even if I didn't sit or speak with them.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:58 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,137,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I really dislike sitting alone in a restaurant, mostly because wait staff tends to think women alone, especially older ones, are going to be lousy tippers. But it's something I really feel I need to get over at some point. I've done it, mostly while traveling for business. But now that I'm retired, there isn't always someone available for lunch and there are places I want to try.

Where I used to live there is a neighborhood bar with great pub grub where I was friendly with the female bartender who works during the day. So sometimes I would go there when it wasn't crowded on a Saturday afternoon for a burger and a beer. But I would have to know the bartender to do that on a regular basis.
One thing that might be worth checking out is http://www.meetup.com
Don't know where you are but many towns and cities there have groups that simply get together (always new people joining so it shouldn't feel awkward) and go to various local restaurants and get to know one another.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,909,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'd rather sit in a restaurant by myself than do takeout or delivery which is cold by the time it gets to me.
Yes. I never get takeout. I want to eat my food when it is ready. Whether someone is with me doesn't enter into it.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,666,230 times
Yes I do.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,816,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I really dislike sitting alone in a restaurant, mostly because wait staff tends to think women alone, especially older ones, are going to be lousy tippers.
Where did you hear this from? I have never heard of this stereotype

Old 02-14-2018, 11:19 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,648,530 times
When I am on a business trip, I generally prefer to eat alone (but that doesn't usually happen). I am in meetings all day and I just want to relax and unwind without feeling the need to be sociable. I've eaten alone in Dubai, London, Peru, New York, Chicago, and New Orleans many times. It never occurred to me to wonder what the others diners were doing or thinking. I don't feel the need to whip out my phone but I might have my Kindle out. If I don't like where the maitre d or hostess seats me, I will smile and request another table.

I don't even mind dancing alone either. When we are out dancing, if my husband goes to the restroom and a song comes on that I like, I will get out on the dance floor and enjoy myself. Usually, some one joins me or my husband does.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:45 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,137,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Where did you hear this from? I have never heard of this stereotype
I have. And several people that I know that work in restaurants say the same.

(I should probably add that unfortunately, in the area where I am, this assumption is frequently correct. More due to really not knowing what a proper tip is or.. using a coupon and then tipping off of the final price or fixed income and squeezing pennies)

Last edited by writerwife; 02-14-2018 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink