Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 01:46 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Tim &Tom's over Mars Cheese Castle. Heck, even Woodman's in Pleasant Prairie. Fewer tourists pillaging the sample dishes.
I like the samples . Good stuff. No sales tax on food in Wisconsin, either. Now, I buy $10 to $20 worth of food each time I go, so I'm not a freeloader. Usually cheese, but sometimes beer or honey too. Plus, their cheese curds are totally awesome! They taste wonderful when I put them in an omelet.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I noticed that, too. "Braised" is the same kind of descriptive cooking technique word as "grilled" or "fried" or "roasted" I don't know what else you'd say in its place.
Um, no, it isn't.

To braise something you sear all sides, then cook it in a liquid.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Brekkie, brekkers, and cuppa are absolutely as grating as sammies and veggies. Can't pin stupid food slang on being American.
I couldn't care less about what annoys people. I always have a cuppa for brekkie when I'm noshing egg and soldiers with rashers.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:17 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do not find the term plating anything except descriptive. EVOO does not equate to olive oil.

English speakers regularly use such acronyms as ASAP, VIP, etc instead of an entire phrase. If I remember correctly, snafu started life as an acronym. I think EVOO is in that tradition, and it is in current use now.

One of the characteristics of modern English is its capacity to acqire, adapt and invent new words. You can’t keep it from happening. And it happens in the food world, just as in the broader mainstream.
Sonar and radar are words that began as acronyms. There are many other acronyms that have become acceptable words.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I like the samples . Good stuff. No sales tax on food in Wisconsin, either. Now, I buy $10 to $20 worth of food each time I go, so I'm not a freeloader. Usually cheese, but sometimes beer or honey too. Plus, their cheese curds are totally awesome! They taste wonderful when I put them in an omelet.
Yep, we used to shop a lot at Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie when we were at Great Lakes. Though the commissary was tax free, as well.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I couldn't care less about what annoys people. I always have a cuppa for brekkie when I'm noshing egg and soldiers with rashers.

Ditto

Old 03-01-2018, 03:00 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, no, it isn't.

To braise something you sear all sides, then cook it in a liquid.
You might be a great cook, but reading comprehension? Not so much.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:29 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
I definitely come from a working class family. We had an antique shop in Notting Hill, on Portobello Road, and we lived above it.
Nice try DG, but I don’t think our American cousins are going to see a family that own an antique shop as “working class”, particularly if they’ve ever been to Portobello Road, and seen among some of the good stuff, the piles of scrap at mouth watering prices.

Quote:
My wife fixed egg and soldiers for me once, when we were staying with friends in Albany NY, she said to our friends, “Do you ever make runny eggs and soldiers over here?”
They said, “Oh yeah, but we just call it eggs with toast.”

Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I do not find the term plating anything except descriptive. EVOO does not equate to olive oil.

English speakers regularly use such acronyms as ASAP, VIP, etc instead of an entire phrase. If I remember correctly, snafu started life as an acronym. I think EVOO is in that tradition, and it is in current use now.

One of the characteristics of modern English is its capacity to acqire, adapt and invent new words. You can’t keep it from happening. And it happens in the food world, just as in the broader mainstream.
So did "radar" and "scuba", although like "EVOO", I have never heard anyone SAY "ASAP" or "VIP" as though they were words. People say the letters.

I write and my daughter is a linguist, so I'm with you on that last sentence. Language changes constantly.

For some reason I just find "plating" annoying, just as I find "gifting" annoying. And even my daughter says "adulting". Grrr. Maybe it's just that I think this trend of taking a noun and adding "ing" on the end is just a little too cutesy. As I already made clear, it's my personal peeve and it's not something that's going to ruin my life.

I'm going coffeeing now. I need more.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-01-2018 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
"Me want a yum-yum sammy in my tummy." -a 45 year old

Now where did I put my AR-15?
I really did just laugh out loud, ABQ. I'm going to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink