Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 03:10 PM

14,358 posts, read 11,758,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Who says “vegetable burger?”

Does anyone say, “I would like the veg-uh-tah-bull fajitas please.”

Veggie is such a convenient word.
I never, ever say "veggie." I'm not inconvenienced by long words, and shaving a single syllable off a word to create a cutesy abbreviation is not worth the loss of my self-respect.

And no, people who say "vegetable" don't draw it out into four slow exaggerated syllables, either.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,599,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Any one else hate when someone calls a cup of coffee a "cuppa" ? Especially if they just say cuppa and don't add "joe" after it....annoying either way.
You don’t hear the word so much now, but cuppa was very much a working class word over here, referring to tea.
This tears me in all directions, I really, really, can’t stand tea, just the smell makes me nauseous, but I come from a working class family, and I’ve never been ashamed to say so.
I’ve been blue collar all my life, years of piloting 18 wheelers from London to Milan, Italy, Warsaw, Poland, and Ljubljana, Slovenia, followed by more years of driving a London taxi, put me firmly in the lower strata of the British class system, but I’d drive a million miles for a cup of good black coffee.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:40 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,869,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I never, ever say "veggie." I'm not inconvenienced by long words, and shaving a single syllable off a word to create a cutesy abbreviation is not worth the loss of my self-respect.

And no, people who say "vegetable" don't draw it out into four slow exaggerated syllables, either.
Actually the word “vegetable” has four syllables. “Veggies” only has two. But that is a subject for another thread.

I’m only a part-time foodie. I’m a full-time English teacher

So if an entree is listed on the menu as “Veggie Fajitas” you request “Vegetable Fajitas?”

Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 PM

48,565 posts, read 34,949,541 times
Thought about it more, and I do say veggies, not just write it. "I need more veggies" etc.

It's not baby talk, at least not when I say it, it's just something that I picked up. Lots of menus use the word.

Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies. Veggies.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-27-2018, 04:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,899,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thought about it more, and I do say veggies, not just write it. "I need more veggies" etc...
Me too. I previously stated that I only write it, but I realize that just isn't true. Oh well, being 100% "grown-up" isn't necessary (or possible) for me.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:07 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,214,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
My tag line is "Southern Fried Brit", so my cuppa is hot tea with one sugar and some milk.

Yes please

Old 02-27-2018, 04:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,899,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
You don’t hear the word so much now, but cuppa was very much a working class word over here, referring to tea...
I definitely come from a working class family. We had an antique shop in Notting Hill, on Portobello Road, and we lived above it.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:49 PM

14,358 posts, read 11,758,960 times
Quote:
Actually the word “vegetable” has four syllables. “Veggies” only has two. But that is a subject for another thread.

I’m only a part-time foodie. I’m a full-time English teacher
I think we should address it right here.

As for my credentials, I'm a former ESL teacher with an MA in Linguistics. "Vegetable" in my dialect has three syllables: /ˈvedʒtəbl/, or more often /ˈvetʃtəbl/ with devoicing of the "g." No one in my circles says /ˈvedʒətəbl/ with four syllables; that sounds very forced and pedantic.

Quote:
So if an entree is listed on the menu as “Veggie Fajitas” you request “Vegetable Fajitas?”
I don't know that I've ever ordered such a thing. Yes, I would refer to the dish as vegetable fajitas and assume the server could comprehend standard English.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:52 PM

505 posts, read 503,422 times
I noticed a lot of the words that annoy people are regularly used in restaurant kitchens.

I was a line cook, I've used every variation of these words.

Annoyed by braised, EVOO, plating? Lmao

Old 02-27-2018, 06:23 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
I frequently work in Wisconsin, usually for a week at a time. At least once during the week I drive 1 1/2 hours north to get a single scoop of the Best Ice Cream in the World. And that is after I have driven an hour south to get my favorite cheese curds. I usually do one dinner of cheese curds followed by ice cream, then try to eat healthy the rest of the week. It is a five hour round trip drive from my hotel to get them since they are different directions but I do it because I am a FOODIE.

I can’t begin to count the hours and miles it took me to research the best ice cream and best cheese curds. Well worth it
Have you ever gotten ice cream in LaCrosse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink