Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to lick my plate. That pleasure belongs to our dogs. However, if I have a good meal - yummy meatloaf or a great dessert - chocolate cupcake, I think my fork could smudge into the crumbs and that might make it look like the plate was licked clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 07:19 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
I rarely eat cereal anymore, but I'll drink the milk from the bowl every time.

A handful of times over the years I have actually licked a plate when there was some gravy or a sauce that I just couldn't resist finishing off, though it was only when I was at home, alone.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Licking the plate - no. Wiping up with bread, yeah, OK.

Cereal milk - if you don't want to drink it directly from the bowl, you can pour from the bowl into a glass. Or, tip the bowl, use a spoon, when you are down to a few drops, pour from the bowl into your spoon. An interpreter we had in Ukraine did that last with soup. Done as she did it, it seemed entirely lady-like, not out of place in a decent restaurant.

Just my opinion, of course, you don't have to agree.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I've licked a plate at least a couple of times. I'm more inclined to run my finger across the plate and lick that. That's so much more dainty and proper.

I think my second or third plate lick was Coquilles St.-Jacques. A few years ago, I talked with a guy I dated in the early '80s. He said that he really missed my cooking--especially that scallop dish.

My father was a child during the depression, and my mother had to put up with rationing in England during WWII. There's absolutely no way that there was going to be any gravy left on my plate or milk left in my cereal bowl. I was taught how to properly use a napkin and to keep my elbows off of the table, but when it came to cleaning a plate, they didn't criticize how you did it. There wasn't enough left for the dog. That was OK, because he was full of the food we'd managed to get rid of during dinner.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think I could bring myself to literally lick a plate even in the privacy of my own home. It has ever even occurred to me.
Yeah, I'm surprised by the number of people who say they lick their plates. That's just not something that has ever crossed my mind. Even thinking about it, I can't imagine doing it.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Anything that exists in small enough quantities that it can't be gotten up with a utensil doesn't need to be gotten up, IMO.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:04 PM

61,720 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'll lick the plate at home, if I feel like it. In public, of course not.

I don't eat cereal these days but when I did, I always drank the milk. My parents discouraged waste.
Yup!!!!! Plus raw cake dough and pudding! (Of course at home, when I am alone - never in public or in company).
When something is delicious, I want it ALL!
:

Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I don't normally lick a plate or a bowl, but when I have strawberry shortcake, all bets are off.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:30 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
You guys need a dog, they will take care of what you dropped on the floor to

My dog has been called on a number of times to clean up the floor. But I draw the line when it comes to letting her lick the plates clean.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:39 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised by the number of people who say they lick their plates. That's just not something that has ever crossed my mind. Even thinking about it, I can't imagine doing it.
Not even as a very small child? I'm surprised as I have been around a lot of preschoolers who seem to do this naturally, if they haven't been taught not to do it.
I'm more grossed out by the people saying they wouldn't do it but they'd let their dogs do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink