Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

The closer it looks to the old nursery rhyme (short and stout) the better.

Think of the Platonic ideal of a teapot, and make yours look like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
During the fall and winter I like to switch to hot tea. I boil my water with an electric kettle and I make my tea in a small 4-cup "Brown Betty," the iconic British teapot, that I bought several years ago from a nearby shop that specializes in imports from the UK and Ireland.

My favorite everyday tea is Barry's Irish Breakfast, the number one tea in Ireland. (Another item I buy from the import shop.) This Assam tea is so strong it brew up like a cup coffee.

Barry's Tea | Irish Tea | Irish Breakfast Tea
The quality brands in Britain are Twinings, Taylors, Whittard of Chelsea etc and there are also a number of loose tea shops. Other famous British brands include Tetley, PG Tips, Typhoo, Liptons, Yorkshire Tea (owned by Taylors), Ringtons, Clipper etc.

Twinings has a flagship shop on the Strand in London which dates back to 1706, it has a wide election of tea, tea tasting, other merchandise and even a small museum.

London Flagship Store 216 Strand - Twinings

Taylors of Harrogate do a wide selection of teas and also operate Betty's Tea Rooms in Yorkshire.

Taylors of Harrogate

Café Tea Rooms - Betty's

Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Tableware | Whittard of Chelsea

I like most types of tea including many of those mentioned, it's also worth noting that between three and give cups a day helpd reduce blood pressure, diabetes and stroke risks.

John Horniman was invented the idea of packaged tea and left a legacy including a London Museum of historic artifacts called the Horniman Museum.

Horniman Museum and Gardens

There is a big monument to Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey who the tea is named after (Lady Grey being his wife), in the centre of the British city of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Grey's Monument - Wikipedia

Earl Grey tea - Wikipedia

Coffee shops are also nothing new, there were coffee shops in England back in the 16th Century, although coffee was seen as salacious and scandalous at the time.

The Grand Cafe in Oxford has had a coffee shop on the site since 1650, whilst the Pasqua Rosee’s Head Coffee Shop in London opened in 1652, the premises is now a pub and wine bar known as the Jamican Wine House.

The Grand Cafe Oxford - Welcome

Home | Jamaica Wine House

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-10-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I drink about 3 cups of tea daily all year long. I rarely use teabags. I have several teapots, but my favorites are the small dutch cast iron pots, about 20 oz. or so. I have an old clay teapot that I made when I took ceramics classes and I have a couple of glass teapots. I have several infusers with and without lids and some infuser balls.

I like Lapsang and Russian Caravan and Assam. I have so many varieties from places where I have traveled, I could open a store. I like the flavored teas and chai. Also white tea and green tea, especially houjicha. Also like oolong. I have some rare blends and some fairly expensive teas. Once in a while I'll make rooibos or hibiscus tea, but mostly I prefer the ones with some caffeine. I've got a selection of things that you can add to the tea as well, including tumeric. I usually take it straight, but depending on the flavor, might add honey, lemon, cream or agave. I also sometimes add a sage leaf while steeping the tea. Not a big fan of matcha or earl grey. I also have a selection of tins to store the loose tea.

I do not like or drink coffee.
I love the idea of adding a sage leaf to the pot. From one tea lover to another, I enjoyed your post.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The quality brands in the UK are Twinings, Taylors, Clipper, Whittard of Chelsea etc and there are also a number of loose tea shops.

Twinings has a flagship shop on the Strand in London wehich dates back to 1706, it has a wide election of tea, tea tasting, other merchandise and even a small museum.

London Flagship Store 216 Strand - Twinings

Taylors of Harrogate do a wide selection of teas and also operate Betty's Tea Rooms in Yorkshire.

Taylors of Harrogate

Café Tea Rooms - Betty's

Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Tableware | Whittard of Chelsea

I like most types of tea including many of those mentioned, it's also worth noting that between three and give cups a day helpd reduce blood pressure, diabetes and stroke risks.
I can get Twinings easily here in the PNW of the US. I like their tea. I also have a box of PG Tips tea, which some people like a lot. I loved getting tea in a coffee house when we traveled to London. They give you a pot and china cups. It was lovely. Ordering tea in the states is a dicey proposition.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Ordering tea in the states is a dicey proposition.
Ain't that the truth!
Too often warm water is pour over a flavorless teabag & cold milk immediately added -- YUK!
Rarely do I order tea in a no-name restaurant. A good cup of tea needs a knowledgeable hand making it -- and then we can talk about the varieties to enjoy. Make mine Earl Grey, please!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
I enjoy chilled black tea through the week (at lunch), and hot green and white teas on weekends.

Prefer loose-leaf tea. So much fresher and less processed. I gave up the Lipton and Twinings junk years ago.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:54 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I can get Twinings easily here in the PNW of the US. I like their tea. I also have a box of PG Tips tea, which some people like a lot. I loved getting tea in a coffee house when we traveled to London. They give you a pot and china cups. It was lovely. Ordering tea in the states is a dicey proposition.

I really like nice tea and coffee houses, if you ever visit the north of England definately go to Betty's it's tea, scones and cake heaven.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-10-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 10-10-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I really like nice tea and coffee houses, if you ever visit the north of England definately go to Betty's it's tea, scones and cake heaven.

Well, I doubt I’ll be doing extensive traveling now at my age, but frankly, I’d love revisiting England. I’d almost do it for the tea experience alone.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Ain't that the truth!
Too often warm water is pour over a flavorless teabag & cold milk immediately added -- YUK!
Rarely do I order tea in a no-name restaurant. A good cup of tea needs a knowledgeable hand making it -- and then we can talk about the varieties to enjoy. Make mine Earl Grey, please!
What I get is usually a mug of hot water and a selection of ordinary teabags. Sometimes I get a small pot of hot water into which I promptly place my chosen teabag. Often I’m presented with sweetener and lemon and no spoon to stir with. It is as if restaurant staff have no concept of how tea is drunk.

The last place I ate at presented me with a mug of hot water, tea bags, and nothing else.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:51 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m not much of a tea drinker, but I do like it, once in awhile. I have a white porcelain tea pot that I fill with very hot water, I dump that out and fill it with boiling water and the tea bags. Then, I cover the pot with a tea cozy I bought on vacation many years ago....Bagshaws on St. Lucia.

I pour it and add a little honey. My biggest gripe about tea is it tastes gross when it cools off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink