Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Some people really cannot tolerate the salt, though.

Years ago I made soup from a turkey carcass. Added vegetables and maybe rice, I don't know. I had a huge pot of it. I planned to give some to my parents, both of whom had high BP and had to watch sodium intake, so I didn't add any salt. I turned off the heat and left the pot on the stove overnight to cool, with the intention to take some unsalted soup out, put it in a container for my parents, and take it to them when I dropped off my daughter at their house before work in the morning.

That evening when I got home from work and collected my daughter, I asked how they liked the soup. My mother said, "It was good, but it was really way too salty for us." I said, "How can that be??? I added NO salt to the soup." Well, they insisted it was very salty.

That night I got home and my husband was there. He had come home the night before after I was already in bed.

He said, "Hey, that soup you made was really good. I had some last night, but it was really flat so I dumped a whole bunch of salt into the pot."
I also cannot tolerate salty soups either and it's because my taste buds have adapted to my very limited salt diet. Same with sugar. Have been drinking coffee and iced tea without sugar for so long, it find the taste repulsive with sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to try Amy's butternut squash; 290 mg sodium per cup isn't too bad.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:18 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
How long do the contents sit inside the can before you open it, months, years? Loads of sodium ad chemicals are used to preserve the soup. Can't be neither tasty nor healthy. Make your own seems to be the best option.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:51 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times
I always keep cans of soups, usually Campbells, on hand for that quick meal. It is better than greasy fast food, and quick. I like the idea of adding rice. That would make it a little more substantial. I love the cream of broccoli, cream of potato and split pea. And chicken noodle was and is my go too when I am under the weather.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm stunned as I read this whole thread that no one mentioned Amy's:

https://www.amys.com/our-foods?onthe...soups&items=72

Not canned but many from this company, especially black bean and split pea, are among my favorites:

https://www.rightfoods.com/

I have no use for commercial canned soups.
I will try them. I have tried some of Amy's frozen products. Liked some, others not so much.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:24 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Made homemade soup/stew three days in a row.

Friday was loaded baked potato soup.
Yesterday I made a beef stew with tomatoes and green chiles.
Tonight I made ham bone soup with the ham bone that was leftover from Thanksgiving. (stored in the freezer of course)

All were much better than anything I've ever had in a can, but I still like the canned stuff, too.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:41 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Amy's is pretty pricey compared to the others discussed; even though, I buy only when they're on sale.

I only eat about 2 cans of soup a yr so, not really an issue for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:30 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I always keep cans of soups, usually Campbells, on hand for that quick meal. It is better than greasy fast food, and quick. I like the idea of adding rice. That would make it a little more substantial. I love the cream of broccoli, cream of potato and split pea. And chicken noodle was and is my go too when I am under the weather.
Another thing I add to some foods is canned beans (we may be going far afield here, but); usually cannellini or butter. If I don't want the whole bean texture, I mash them. Added to tomato soup or some other cream soup along with the rice, that would make it not only a heartier dish, but a complete protein, as a bonus...

Old 12-10-2018, 10:07 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another thing I add to some foods is canned beans (we may be going far afield here, but); usually cannellini or butter. If I don't want the whole bean texture, I mash them. Added to tomato soup or some other cream soup along with the rice, that would make it not only a heartier dish, but a complete protein, as a bonus...
Beans are such a good addition to almost anything! Tasty, packed with protein, filling...budget-friendly too, since they're cheap and really bulk up a meal.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:55 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Beans are such a good addition to almost anything! Tasty, packed with protein, filling...budget-friendly too, since they're cheap and really bulk up a meal.
I agree... I always keep beans on hand (either canned or home-cooked) and have some at the office as well. Easy to pick up and eat and filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink