Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:30 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times

Advertisements

It’s been decades since I bought Campbell’s soup. It’s not very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
I always have homemade soup in the freezer, but sometimes a can of Campbellā€™s just hits the spot.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
My young grandkids love Campbell’s condensed chicken noodle soup varieties and I keep several of the healthy request ones on hand. They have around 400 mg sodium/serving. I liked Chicken and Stars as a kid, but it isn’t one of the healthy request ones and has 980 mg sodium, too bad. Chicken and Rice has the lower sodium though.

DH likes any brand of tomato soup, New England clam chowders and Campbell’s Bean with Bacon is still one of his favorites. Many of the pricier canned soups have a weird/funny aftertaste, so we stick with our childhood favorites. I make a hack for Panera’s broccoli cheddar soup and bread bowls, that is a family favorite. It’s hard to beat homemade, but it takes time and thinking ahead.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Used to love Campbells soups but then got kidney failure and my dietician pointed out the salt content in these soups
Again, if you have to avoid sodium for a legitimate medical reason (hypertension, renal failure), you'd want to watch the salt content in canned soups. For the average healthy person, however, it shouldn't be an issue.

I find people to be a little paranoid about salt in prepared food when there's no rational reason for most people to be, but that's just me.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:13 PM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I like canned soup. In fact I just viewed the Warhol exhibit at the Whitney and now I'm inspired to try some old Campbell's varieties that I haven't seen in years.

My research shows that Campbell's Scotch Broth is still available in Canada, which is a good excuse for a road trip...
Seriously? I didn't know that. Loved that stuff when I was a kid, and I cross the border regularly, so I will look for it.

Doesn't take much to make me happy.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:41 PM

2,340 posts, read 612,736 times
I love Campbell's Tomato soup with Milk, Bean w/bacon soup - vegetable abc - and chicken noodle that's about it.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:14 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
How do y'all feel about canned soup?

It's not nearly as good -- or healthy -- as homemade soups, but I grabbed a few different cans of canned soups while I was at the grocery store.

I like having it for lunch sometimes. Cheap, filling, warms ya up, fast and easy...and even though there is sodium to worry about, it's not the most caloric or fat-laden thing one can eat for lunch.
They usually have too much salt and sugar in them, although some brands have been working to cut salt, but it's still worth looking at the sugar and salt content on the side of the tin. Overall tin soup sales gave been declining, in favour of fresh soups, which are now widely sold in most grocery stores.

Tinned soup is going down the pan – here's how to save it | Food | The Guardian

Heinz does a lot of tinned soup brands in the UK and has a long history in the UK, it's main competitor is Baxter's who are more up market, whilst most supermarkets tend to have their own tinned soup brands, and Campbells also sell a limited range of condensed soups in the UK.

Heinz UK | Soup

Baxters Soups | Baxters.co.uk

Campbell's Soup UK | The World's Most Iconic Soup Brand

In terms of cartons and containers there are lots of good companies and organic soups.

New Covent Garden Soup: Home

The Real Soup Company

Yorkshire Provender – Home of the most delicious soup and porridge

Fresh Soups - Waitrose & Partners

Soups - Marks and Spencer

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-01-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 12-01-2018, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
I ALWAYS have Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup- and cream of chicken soup on hand for those '50 style casseroles...

Old 12-01-2018, 02:57 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,726 times
I have felt the same way about Campbell's soup. I haven't bought any for a long time. I recently changed my mind about getting canned soups and keep them around for flavor. Did you know they have cream of bacon now?!

Old 12-01-2018, 02:58 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Again, what is "too much salt"? It's not an issue unless you have a medical condition contraindicating its use, but I repeat myself (again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink