Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 10:06 PM

914 posts, read 643,783 times

Advertisements

I've recently started exploring cooking demos on Youtube and found a few really memorable ones. I have one for bread who I can't wait to see his next one. He has a pleasant voice, yet his physique doesn't match his voice. He never shows his face. I'm a little captivated because he's easy to listen to and he's not too talkative like many of them are. He stays on point, which I appreciate.

Here's a sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0RjnQGrwzw

I enjoy the Pioneer Woman but she's become so commercialize. It sort of took away the charm of her cooking and talking about her husband and children out in the backwoods. I loved the simplicity and the love she put into her food.

If you can recommend your favorites, who is your goto sight or youtube channel when it comes to cooking? What traits do you look in someone for this activity?

Include all types of cuisines including juicing or vegetarian dishes, Gordan Ramsey types, or hunters who catch their own food.

It would be fun to get recommendations to such channels/sights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Ree Drummond was never actually folksy or homespun...that much is a marketing persona. She grew up on a golf course with a surgeon father, and went to school in LA and Chicago before she met her rancher. I've nothing against her, and it's really neither here nor there for the purposes of the discussion, but the aw shucksness of her whole schtick is a cultivated character. That said, hey, whatever sells, and her pot roast is my go-to.

Re: your thread topic, I don't actually really use youtube for cooking inspiration. As far as onscreen chefs, I've gotten a lot out of watching Lidia Bastianich on PBS (and she has a restaurant, here). I also like environmentally conscious British celeb chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and especially his River Cottage Family Cookbook. I generally love cookbooks.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
My favorite YouTube cooking channel right now is sortedFood (cute British boys with cute accents who occasionally demonstrate that they don’t understand how to make a good hamburger). They have two million subscribers and their show is quite well shot and produced.

I also like the Townsends’ historical cooking channel, and the English Heritage channel’s cooking videos with a re-enactments playing Mrs. Crocombe, Victorian cook in a great house.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
I don't use the videos either. Not sure why. Perhaps because the written word holds still so I can double check it!

What I miss is the old grandmas and aunts who could demonstrate live for me and show me how the actual dough should "feel," how the mixture should look. And they were right there to answer questions. They have been lost to a change in lifestyle.

I have recently discovered "The Spruce Eats" site and like the recipes there. "Sunset" and "Martha Stewart" are good for inspiration if not necessarily recipes. Good old "Better Homes and Gardens" provides a lot of practical recipes as does "A Taste of Home." Barefoot Contessa" and "Pioneer Woman" hold my interest.

I have a kitchen pantry closet that holds a lifetime library of cookbooks, both classics and specialties, and most of my go-to recipes come from there and tried-and-true recipes.

For me the videos are entertainment and ideas for trends and extra touches. I see a lot of what I would consider errors in current online cooking suggestions. And these days if I'm using a recipe at all it's because I'm trying something new and would like to be able to trust its accuracy.

I swear some people sit around and dream up videos or recipes and never test them. The whole point just seems to get them out there.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Chef John from Food Wishes is my favorite. He's funny, his recipes are not too complicated, or if they are he breaks it all down part by part so it's not as overwhelming, and I don't think I've ever made a recipe of his that I didn't like. My favorite recipes of his are his Greek lemon chicken, his apple fritters, and his lemon bars.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I like Valerie Bertinelli.

I make her cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning.

I like the Pioneer Woman also.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:55 PM

4,955 posts, read 3,319,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Chef John from Food Wishes is my favorite. He's funny, his recipes are not too complicated, or if they are he breaks it all down part by part so it's not as overwhelming, and I don't think I've ever made a recipe of his that I didn't like. My favorite recipes of his are his Greek lemon chicken, his apple fritters, and his lemon bars.
Food Wishes my favorite! Chef John voice is amazing...

Old 04-09-2019, 04:46 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Ree Drummond was never actually folksy or homespun...that much is a marketing persona. She grew up on a golf course with a surgeon father, and went to school in LA and Chicago before she met her rancher. I've nothing against her, and it's really neither here nor there for the purposes of the discussion, but the aw shucksness of her whole schtick is a cultivated character. That said, hey, whatever sells, and her pot roast is my go-to.

Re: your thread topic, I don't actually really use youtube for cooking inspiration. As far as onscreen chefs, I've gotten a lot out of watching Lidia Bastianich on PBS (and she has a restaurant, here). I also like environmentally conscious British celeb chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and especially his River Cottage Family Cookbook. I generally love cookbooks.

I do not like Rae Drummond's recipes. They are wishy-washy and very difficult to follow.

Another vote for Chef John and Food Wishes. To me, the recipes are easily followed and more importantly, actually turn out as advertised.

I also like Pailin Chongchitnant of Hot Thai Kitchen. While I do not cook a lot od Thai cooking, she has excellent culinary techniques and I have learned why so many of my Asian recipes over the years have failed.

With the exception of Sara Moultan, I really have not learned much watching television chefs. They do not take the time to talk about technique and why things are done the way they are. Also, there is no interaction with the cooks like there is on YouTube.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:04 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I don't use YouTube for recipes, either, but will try anything when I'm really trying to find a recipe and can't. So I ended up watching The Freakin' Rican. I don't love or recommend him, but I had to see someone who would use that moniker. He wasn't as much fun as it sounded, either, but his recipes are close to the real thing if you want some Puerto Rican food.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 PM

914 posts, read 643,783 times
glad I asked. This food wishes thing sounds interesting. Will definitely check some of these recommendations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink