Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 12:54 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That. The new pork that I buy - even when I buy "up" - is tasteless and dry. I keep trying to find ways to cook it, and then dip it in apple sauce so you don't choke on it.

I don't want really fatty, either, though.

So yeah. Pork is underutilized in my house. There is so much healthier/tastier food available.
Tasteless can come from a number of factors; dry comes from overcooking which also reduces flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,087,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That. The new pork that I buy - even when I buy "up" - is tasteless and dry. I keep trying to find ways to cook it, and then dip it in apple sauce so you don't choke on it.

I don't want really fatty, either, though.

So yeah. Pork is underutilized in my house. There is so much healthier/tastier food available.
Find someone that raises heritage breeds, like Berkshire. Remember you get what you pay for. Grocery stores generally don't carry the highest quality meats.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
In Japan, other than yakitori everything else except seafood is made with pork. Fried pork chop or tonkatsu. Pork is the most popular meat in ramen. Japanese hot dog always contains pork. Pork is heavily used to make soups and broth.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because people want everything so nice and easy to eat. You need bone-in pork chops to keep it moist and to add flavor. I cook chops allllllllllllllllllllll the time and they're never dry. The parts along the bone are sooooooooooooooo delish. I never, ever buy the chops with no bone. Dry and tasteless cardboard.
Please, step the flip off..ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

*I started cooking in the 1960s when I was young, and the pork that I buy and cook these days is nothing like what mom served decades ago. It was as fatty as a well marbled steak.

Last edited by Gerania; 06-18-2019 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Just had loin pork chops last night with baby potatoes, onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos. Other than a little dry seasoning and some olive oil I did not use anything else on them. They were not dry or tasteless but super tasty..

Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,885 times
I hated pork chops as a kid in the 1950s. Mom had been taught in Home Ec that if you didn't thoroughly cook pork your family would end up with trichinosis. She cooked them till they were leathery. The consequence of not eating the main dish was not getting dessert and once I actually tried to get out of eating the pork chops by saying, "OK, I don't want dessert". Didn't work- I'm sure that somewhere along the line Mom was also taught that meat was an essential part of every lunch and dinner.

Fast forward to 2003 and DH and I moved to Kansas City and discovered Iowa-cut pork chops- very thick, but so darn big one was enough for both of us. DH had no fears of trichinosis (he said, "do you ever know anyone who got trichinosis?") and left them juicy.

I'm practically vegetarian now but when I go to BBQ places when DS and family visit I have pulled pork and DS has burnt ends.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
The only pork I will eat is the kind you can find in Cuban restaurants that practically melts in your mouth. I have tried cooking pork all different ways and can't ever get mine to taste like that. The closest I came was making a picnic roast which was 75% fat & bone.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
[quote=athena53;55461179]I hated pork chops as a kid in the 1950s. Mom had been taught in Home Ec that if you didn't thoroughly cook pork your family would end up with trichinosis. She cooked them till they were leathery. The consequence of not eating the main dish was not getting dessert and once I actually tried to get out of eating the pork chops by saying, "OK, I don't want dessert". Didn't work- I'm sure that somewhere along the line Mom was also taught that meat was an essential part of every lunch and dinner.

Fast forward to 2003 and DH and I moved to Kansas City and discovered Iowa-cut pork chops- very thick, but so darn big one was enough for both of us. DH had no fears of trichinosis (he said, "do you ever know anyone who got trichinosis?") and left them juicy.

I'm practically vegetarian now but when I go to BBQ places when DS and family visit I have pulled pork and DS has burnt ends.[/QUfOTE]

sounds like our home ec classes and yes, the same era:early to mid 50s. Actually I ended up majoring in foods and nutrition in college: AKA pretty much Home ec with foods as a specialty. Of course we did end up with a degree in nutrition.
Luckily my dad, who did a lot of the gourmet type cooking in our family knew better. So, though we had our pork a little more done then, than we do now, it certainly wasn't cremated like many families did.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,087,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The only pork I will eat is the kind you can find in Cuban restaurants that practically melts in your mouth. I have tried cooking pork all different ways and can't ever get mine to taste like that. The closest I came was making a picnic roast which was 75% fat & bone.
When I do a Cuban style pork butt, I make a paste of salt, garlic and cumin. I use a 4" pairing knife to make holes all over the butt so that when I rub the paste over the butt I can force the paste into the holes. The butt goes into a gallon or 2 gallon bag over a bed of mandolin sliced onions. I then pour sour orange juice (you can use equal parts of orange and lime juice as a sub. I refrigerate over night, turning the bag several times. When I remove the butt to cook it, I reserve the onions and liquid, which make a wonderful mojo when added, off the heat, to Spanish olive oil. No worries about contamination as the mojo is cooked. Some of the paste gets into the liquid, adding additional flavor to the mojo. The mojo is best served at room temperature. The butt gets wrapped in banana leaves and cooked over charcoal in my BGE at 225F to an internal temperature of 200F to 205F. These internal temperatures are for pulled pork and the butt just pulls apart and melts in your mouth. Leftovers are packaged and used for Cuban sandwiches and Media Noche sandwiches.

I have done a suckling pig Cuban style in a Caja China (Chinese Box or aka Cajun Microwave). For this I use a lime based mojo and lots of limes. My favorite bottled, lime based mojo is Kirby.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM

8,783 posts, read 5,080,500 times
We have pork tenderloin offten. It is the healthist cut of pork.....plus it is always on sale for a good price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink