Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 08:46 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,419 times

Advertisements

Sloppy Joe's and hot dog with the works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 09:21 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese. Green Bean Casserole with the Fried Onions on top.

I can’t help it ... there is something about cold Dinty Moore beef stew with white bread & butter

Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
great thread!! guilty pleasures...

love the crab rangoons on a pupu platters could eat 50 of them

love peanut butter whoopies pies

mint chocolate chip ice cream...

blueberry bizmarks…….blueberry most anything....even blueberry pie filling from the can - have eaten that for lunch many a times decades ago..

fried clams in batter whole gut.....where they gush when you bite down....

fried dough at the fair...…...pretty much ...physical grease...love it!!!

I get what you mean about "trashy"

having gone to seems like thousands of dinner parties.....
more people will put on heirs about some foods...when company comes over...

ive had more pate's... mousse... hummus... and pumpkin breads..and wheat thins.. tough being polite.....felt like asking where's the good stuff??? or good thing I brought a Pepperidge farm 3 layer 2.99 cake in the car......that never went over well..with the hostess but many guests liked it ....

Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am sure that I am NOT the only foodie that is a closet lover of some low end luscious foods and recopies. I'll fess up right now. I happen to like some foods that aren't trendy.

I'll go first.

1. Cracker Barrel. Never had a bad meal there. I am fanatical about their pecan pancakes. I love them. same goes for their home fry potato casserole and fried shrimp in a basket. Their biscuits and deserts are always good.

2. Potatoes Au Gratin from a box. Yup. From a box. There are many good brands and no bad ones. I think I have tried them all. Cheesy potatoes will be a theme here. You'll see.

3. Tater Tots. Sprinkled with herbs and doused with truffle oil, or baked in a casserole with LOTS of cheese - Velveeta works for this purpose - or crispy with ketchup S and P - I love those darn things.

4. Creamy ranch Habanero potato chips. I can't eat just one.

5. State or county fair apple dumplings.

6. Bloomin' onions.

7. Lime green jello mold with cream cheese and pineapple. My MIL made the best.

9.A tomato sandwich on WHITE BREAD with salt and pepper and mayo.

10. Bavarian Pretzels with cheese dip. (maybe that's borderline - but not at a fair or carnival.

11. My late Aunt Anne's Impossible Coconut cream pie made with Bisquick.

12. A DELICIOUS and BEAUTIFUL "home made cake" that involves Cool Whip, Instant Vanilla pudding mix, but fresh or frozen strawberries and strawberry Duncan Heinz cake mix.

So let's hear what foods without fancy pedigrees are YOUR favorites.
ALL of them.

And zero guilt.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:22 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Restaurants are either well managed or poorly run. The well managed places usually serve good food and have a high level of service. I’ve had wonderful, beautifully-plated meals at Waffle House, and horrible meals at an expensive “must go” restaurant recommended by friends.
This. And I never realized Cracker Barrel was considered 'low end'. Mediocre maybe...
Anyway I used to go to a place in Memphis that was a mom and pop place, locals considered it 'low end' but they had great food. After I moved away I was amused to read that it had become a trendy place to go.

Chili cheese tater tots all day long for me, call it trashy, it's still good eats!

Old 07-28-2019, 11:09 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Not only SPAM but chicken spread, corned beef spread (forget the name of the manufacturer though). I like KFC from time to time, no other fried chicken like it.
Red Devil? I used to spread that chicken on Melba toast rounds and think I died and went to heaven.

I still eat Lipton soup in the box and when I can find it, chicken a la king in the can - but now I add more chicken, usually leftover.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:15 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
The best mac & cheese by far was at the hot bar at Whole Foods Market before it was taken over by Amazon. No other restaurant or recipe could compare!! Today I could never recommend that one go there and eat because overnight everything changed. It is possible you could get something good, or more likely you will get something tasteless that has been reheated/doctored. Their primary concern now is to squeeze as many dollars as possible out of you.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:48 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Ice cream sandwiches.

Pimento cheese spread.

Tater tots.

Fritos scoops.

It's been YEARS since I've had any of the above, WAAAH.

I wonder if I could make Pimento cheese spread??

Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Ice cream sandwiches.

Pimento cheese spread.

Tater tots.

Fritos scoops.

It's been YEARS since I've had any of the above, WAAAH.

I wonder if I could make Pimento cheese spread??
Pimento cheese was/is(?) a trendy item. I've seen it added to sandwiches and burgers on menus for frou-frou places over the last few years, along with fancy deviled egg appetizers. Kale and other greens used to be for po' folks, along with corn meal mush, now glorified as polenta. Funny how, and why, things can go from one end of the spectrum to the other as to what's low end and what's trendy.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I love me some Denny's. Horrible but true. Tater tots, Lay's potato chips, SPAM.... my list could go on forever, stuff I would happily eat if it didn't have calorie and/or health repercussions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink