Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2022, 07:21 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else bought frozen avocado? Don’t bother.

I had hoped I could just pop out a bit as needed for avocado toast, but it wasn’t very good. Plus you must thaw it at room temperature. Whatever they must treat it with to keep it from turning seems to affect the taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2022, 02:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
??? I doubt that. Food sits in the stomach for long enough to warm it up and the acid to begin its work (typically 15 to 20 minutes, IIRC). By the time it gets to the villi in the small intestine, it is near body temperature unless you are hypothermic.

There are two reasons I have heard of not to drink water with a meal, one relates to the Chinese humors of the body becoming unbalanced, the other being the dilution of the acid and increased time needed to digest.
Spot on!
And yes water with a meal dilutes our digestive acids making digestion of our food more difficult. Unlike water, a glass of wine with our meals aids not hinders digestion. Save the water for exercise, work etc.
Cheers

Old 02-11-2022, 02:19 PM

4,188 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Has anyone else bought frozen avocado? Don’t bother.

I had hoped I could just pop out a bit as needed for avocado toast, but it wasn’t very good. Plus you must thaw it at room temperature. Whatever they must treat it with to keep it from turning seems to affect the taste.
I don't know why, but guacamole freezes pretty well.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:00 AM

735 posts, read 452,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
I don't know why, but guacamole freezes pretty well.
This is true! I bought the mini organic guacamole cups from Costco and freeze them. I thaw them a night ahead in the refrigerator and it tastes just as yummy as fresh.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
??? I doubt that. Food sits in the stomach for long enough to warm it up and the acid to begin its work (typically 15 to 20 minutes, IIRC). By the time it gets to the villi in the small intestine, it is near body temperature unless you are hypothermic.

There are two reasons I have heard of not to drink water with a meal, one relates to the Chinese humors of the body becoming unbalanced, the other being the dilution of the acid and increased time needed to digest.
According to Chinese medicines, your digestion system needs the “fire” to “burn” or to digest your foods. Therefore, warming herb like ginger helps with digestion. Drinking lots of fluids, especially cold, iced drinks will put out the fire needed to digest your foods. Half a cup of warm water is ok. Having a cup warm soup or a small glass of wine or alcohol beverages is ok. A big glass of iced, cold water or soft drink (sugar is considered cold food) will slow down the digestion process. You can drink lots of water 45 minutes before or an hour after a meal.

Old 02-12-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just learned something new. Dirty Jobs just featured jelly balls fishermen in Darien GA, which is an hour south of me. The area is famous for abundant shrimp harvesting, but there are good and bad years.

A Japanese immigrant recognized an untapped resource, the type of jelly fish that is used as a food additive in Asia. It was news to me, and very interesting. They explained that the processed jelly fish takes on the taste of whatever you mix it with. He used the example that a pound of hamburger, plus a pound of jelly fish would be like 2# of hamburger.
Jelly fish makes very tasty salad with sweet pickled shredded carrots and cucumbers. You can add cooked shrimps to the salad as well.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:27 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
For those of you who make your own vinaigrette: I just made some with a generous splash of spicy V-8 juice and I loved it. Added several delicious new layers of flavor to the dressing.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:04 PM

Just added something delicious to my repertoire. POLENTA!! Had no idea it was so good and a great change from other carbs. Made it with butter and cream cheese. Cooked up some mushrooms, onions, hot Italian sausage and spinach to top it with. SOOO good and so many different things you can do with it.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:30 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
^^I've only had it once, but it was store-bought. I never used to have any interest in foods like this, but for some reason I've been getting more into it.

By the way, your spicy V8 trick sounds really good.

My new discovery involves cannellini beans. I've always made an Italian-style dip by cooking minced onion and garlic, sage, and lemon peel, then adding the beans with some lemon juice and a little cayenne, and then mashing it all together, drizzling with olive oil.

I recently came across a different version of that. You just put the cannellinis in a food processor with olive oil, a little lemon juice, garlic powder, and sage. Obviously, you can make different variations of ingredients to suit your own palate. It's ridiculously easy and tastes so good. I've made this three times so far and I still have one can of beans left. I think my SO is sick of hearing about it.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
^^I've only had it once, but it was store-bought. I never used to have any interest in foods like this, but for some reason I've been getting more into it.

By the way, your spicy V8 trick sounds really good.

My new discovery involves cannellini beans. I've always made an Italian-style dip by cooking minced onion and garlic, sage, and lemon peel, then adding the beans with some lemon juice and a little cayenne, and then mashing it all together, drizzling with olive oil.

I recently came across a different version of that. You just put the cannellinis in a food processor with olive oil, a little lemon juice, garlic powder, and sage. Obviously, you can make different variations of ingredients to suit your own palate. It's ridiculously easy and tastes so good. I've made this three times so far and I still have one can of beans left. I think my SO is sick of hearing about it.
That sounds so good. Like a sort of Italian hummus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink