Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 10:22 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This thread makes me sad. I've had students bring me treats, church folks bring casseroles when I had surgery, neighbors drop by with homemade cookies when we moved into a new house. The idea of throwing the food out because I "didn't know where it came from" never crossed my mind. And it's all backwards that storebought food is now considered healthier than homemade food.
I agree. It reminds me about the paranoia we instill in our children's mind: don't take a candy from a stranger!
Now, how often, if ever, a child was deliberately poisoned by a stranger? What's the odds?

What do you think people bring to potluck, or church dinner - what is in, how it was made and if the kitchen was disinfected and hands washed to your standards, OP?
In a very sad world we live in now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 10:47 PM

17,776 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. It reminds me about the paranoia we instill in our children's mind: don't take a candy from a stranger!
Now, how often, if ever, a child was deliberately poisoned by a stranger? What's the odds?
There was some guy in Connecticut that put razor blades in with the candy that he gave out to kids on Halloween.

Connecticut man arrested after families found razors in Halloween candy, police say

Old 11-13-2019, 03:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Unless it’s store bought I throw it out! I don’t know what is in it or how old.
I hope no one gives you a pet

usually I hear this the other way around....if its home-made i'll eat it but if its store made I wont...

i'd tell the family and friends you have a "giving food disorder" and you throw it out

Old 11-13-2019, 04:14 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
No. I'm extremely grateful and thankful for these acts of kindness when they have occurred throughout my life. Of course, such meal gifts have been from neighbors or close friends and family.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
I will almost always accept it and enjoy it. There are a couple of people I know, however, that I will throw the food out because they're hoarders and I've been in their kitchens and there is no possible way the food was prepared in anything close to sanitary conditions, and so I wouldn't give it to anyone else, either. On one occasion, a neighbor gave me some cookies and I tried them and ended up throwing them out because they simply didn't have any flavor at all.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:28 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
I was once given a home-canned jar of venison mincemeat. While I love mincemeat, I have a horror of home-canned meat. I did find a hunter friend to give it to, so it didn't go to waste.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:57 AM

1,371 posts, read 669,992 times
The only 2 times I have ever thrown a food gift out were a home canned product and a food that I'm allergic too. The only reason I accepted the food I was allergic to was because my husband seemed excited about getting it and I thought he would eat it, but he didn't. The canned product, well it was given to hubs for us by a first time canner and I was just not sure about it because of that and because I'm just leery of things I haven't canned myself.

I agree with the others, find a gracious way to decline gifts if you are just going to throw them away.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Unless it’s store bought I throw it out! I don’t know what is in it or how old.
I a friend gives you a gift of food I can't imagine you wouldn't know where it came from,, how old it might be or what is in it? Sorry, everyone has his/her own opinion but I love to get food from friends and relatives as gifts. I also give much of what I can away and would be disappointed if it was tossed. If the person receiving the gift really didn't care for it, that would be totally different. What would you do if say, you had a death in the family or surgery yourself and you church group or your neighbors provided food for you, would you toss it? Oh God, I hope not. I know when I had knee replacement I was so thankful for our family and our church group for bringing food for us for about a week or so. I guess you don't go to pot lucks either, right?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 AM

27,199 posts, read 13,489,086 times
I know the comedian Ricky Gervais told a story during a stand up show of a woman who brought over rice pudding as a hgouse warming gift, however she made from her own breast milk, and he later threw in the bin.

Gervais later used the incident in a sitcom.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There was some guy in Connecticut that put razor blades in with the candy that he gave out to kids on Halloween.

Connecticut man arrested after families found razors in Halloween candy, police say
Remember these situations are so rare, not to mention getting food from friends as a gift is a bit different than kids getting candy on Halloween. I think we have become a pathetic, fearing country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink