Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I know the comedian Ricky Gervais told a story during a stand up show of a woman who brought over rice pudding as a hgouse warming gift, however she made from her own breast milk, and he later threw in the bin.

Gervais later used the incident in a sitcom.

Not that I blame him on that one, but he’s also a super picky eater. I doubt he’d eat any food gift that wasn’t cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:17 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,344 times
No, I eat everything given me, unless it doesn't taste good (had some bad xmas cookies once), or I give it away. But I don't have any dietary issues or restrictions, and am not phobic about germs. My favorite are home-made pickles, fresh baked bread, and toasted nuts.

I used to give high quality (fairly expensive ingredients) food gifts to people such as teachers, postman, neighbors, crossing guard, etc. Now I wonder how many of them just threw them away.

Given today's dietary issues with so many people, I've stopped giving them to folks I don't know well - at least the really good stuff. I still make generic Christmas cookies for neighbors with kids.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:28 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You do this when friends and family give you food?

I could see it if it was an acquaintance, but for me, I trust my friends and family enough not to want to throw the things they’ve thoughtfully made for me away.
Totally depends. I've had inlaws whose food I tried my best to stay away from because their homes/kitchens were filthy or they let pets climb all over kitchen surfaces. Food prepared by friends or coworkers that seem like they might not be overly concerned about cleanliness are also avoided. I might accept the gift to avoid hurt feelings, but it probably goes in the trash once I get home.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
I will almost always accept it and enjoy it. There are a couple of people I know, however, that I will throw the food out
because they're hoarders and I've been in their kitchens and there is no possible way the food was prepared in anything close to sanitary conditions, and so I wouldn't give it to anyone else, either. On one occasion, a neighbor gave me some cookies and I tried them and ended up throwing them out because they simply didn't have any flavor at all.
Funny story about hoarders and non sanitary kitchens. I have a relative who was in the Peace Corps in a third world country. She did not always (to be honest rarely did) follow the "rules and precautions" such as washing all fruits and vegetables before you eat them, yet she had absolutely no gastro-intestinal issues. Other volunteers sometimes had weeks or even months of diarrhea and she never did. She firmly believes that it was because she was exposed to "lots of germs" when she was a child, played in the dirt, made mud pies, drank raw milk, visited relatives who were less than sanitary in the kitchen, etc.

(I should point out that she always purified the water for drinking and cooking, but other things, "Nope, not important".)

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-13-2019 at 07:44 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 07:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
I am a retired teacher and have received many gifts of food over the years. The only time that I ever threw anything away was cookies from one family (who had multiple cats) and the cookies had cat hairs baked inside them. Of course, the child & family never knew that I threw away the cookies.

Many of the other teachers received food gifts as well, and, to my knowledge, no one threw away home-made food unless it was a situation like I described.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:14 AM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There was some guy in Connecticut that put razor blades in with the candy that he gave out to kids on Halloween.

Connecticut man arrested after families found razors in Halloween candy, police say
Well, is Halloween banned because of that? Kids don't eat candy given by strangers on Halloween?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:52 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
I appreciate the gifts and the time that it took for the person to make them. So....if the gift has sugar (which I now can't have) my spouse might like it, but I most definitely can take it to work and share with others that would love to try the items. If the item contains milk, same thing. Other than that, we enjoy the food gifts that people give us.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:53 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Funny story about hoarders and non sanitary kitchens. I have a relative who was in the Peace Corps in a third world country. She did not always (to be honest rarely did) follow the "rules and precautions" such as washing all fruits and vegetables before you eat them, yet she had absolutely no gastro-intestinal issues. Other volunteers sometimes had weeks or even months of diarrhea and she never did. She firmly believes that it was because she was exposed to "lots of germs" when she was a child, played in the dirt, made mud pies, drank raw milk, visited relatives who were less than sanitary in the kitchen, etc.

(I should point out that she always purified the water for drinking and cooking, but other things, "Nope, not important".)
She was undoubtedly correct. It was pointed out to me that indigenous people in Mexico don't get Montezuma's revenge, but touristas commonly do. The utter filth of European ancestors made them conquerors.

For people with a fear of home cooked food - You do realize that your commercially prepared food is usually made by complete strangers, often working in third world conditions at sub-minimum wage? That tasty shrimp from Vietnam, or those figs from Turkey are just the tip of that iceberg. I won't scare you with the knowledge of which end of the chicken an egg comes from. (Hint - look up the multi-purpose cloaca)

Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,563,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Remember these situations are so rare, not to mention getting food from friends as a gift is a bit different than kids getting candy on Halloween. I think we have become a pathetic, fearing country.
ding ding ding. best answer of the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
No, I eat everything given me, unless it doesn't taste good (had some bad xmas cookies once), or I give it away. But I don't have any dietary issues or restrictions, and am not phobic about germs. My favorite are home-made pickles, fresh baked bread, and toasted nuts.

I used to give high quality (fairly expensive ingredients) food gifts to people such as teachers, postman, neighbors, crossing guard, etc. Now I wonder how many of them just threw them away.

Given today's dietary issues with so many people, I've stopped giving them to folks I don't know well - at least the really good stuff. I still make generic Christmas cookies for neighbors with kids.
I am making peanut butter butter bon bons and a couple of breads for our firemen who's station is just down the street. They have helped get my hubby back on his feet about 3 times this year. The latest was just a few days ago when spoil brat slipped on the wet leaves. Of course there is no charge for coming out and helping an old man up, so thought I would take them a few Christmas goodies.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink