Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 05:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,611,202 times

Advertisements

Duck is very fatty and rich, so I would go with something like roasted turnips that have a slight bitterness to them as a counterpoint, and sprinkle some fried onion bits on top for a crunchy note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 06:25 AM

1,371 posts, read 670,705 times
The mention of faro made me remember the pearl barley "risotto" I've made several times. My DH likes this much more than regular risotto as he's not all that fond of rice.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:35 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,820,603 times
Can I come over for the leftovers. I'll just wait in the garage. I promise I'll be real good.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:06 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
Usually when I cook a duck (I raised ducks, so had ducks to cook), I made duck and avocado tacos.

Duck and nice ripe avocados are one of those magic flavor combinations. If you don't want to make duck tacos, maybe an avocado salad with some sort of vinegar dressing to cut the fattiness of the duck and a fairly plain rice. Duck is rich so you don't want to serve it with a bunch of rich side dishes.

Be sure to carefully save all the dripping so you can make duck fries. As far as I am concerned duck fries are the real reason to roast a duck. They are fairly easy to make.

Slice fresh potatoes into fries, coat with duck fat, and bake in the oven until they are done.

I love them so much, I even bought a french fry cutter so I would have even sized potatoes.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:21 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,966,662 times
Favorite side dish is peeled potato quarters roasted in oil until they are soft on the inside and crispy brown on the outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
On Valentines weekend I plan to prepare a roast duck dinner for my boyfriend. The recipe I have is from a book he gave me for Christmas: "Downton Abbey Cookbook." The recipe calls for the duck to be roasted plain and served on a bed of homemade applesauce, with currant gravy on the side.

What would you serve as sides with this dish? I was thinking brown and wild rice with pecans, but I've made that for him several times previously. Should I stick with that since he likes it, or would you suggest something else for a starchy side?

What vegetable dish would you suggest I serve with this duck?

I'd love to hear some new ideas. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2020, 03:12 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,394,726 times
Duck is very greasy so i wouldn't serve any thing else fatty with it. Sweet things go well with it.

Turnips, potatoes and carrots mashed in together or served as chunks together in the same dish.

Roasted sweet yams with brown sugar, or basted with maple syrup (!!!). Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg, or just for something different, allspice. Do not mash this to servem unless you really want to.

Green beans and mushroom soup casserole. oh to die for.

Crunchy noodle oriental salad.

Spinach and mandarin salad.

Squash.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:31 PM

88,642 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Maybe sliced baby potatoes with diced onion and red bell pepper - all pan roasted with some oil (maybe some butter, too?)

Oven roasted baby carrots (a bit of oil, garlic salt and cracked black pepper)?
This would be my choice. Yum.

Roast duck is sort of a hearty country food. The taters and carrots and onion fit right in with that.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:44 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I serve duck with bread or potato dumplings and braised red cabbage with red wine and apples.
I was thinking of spaetzle noodles and red cabbage. You need something acidic to cut through all of the fat.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:52 PM

905 posts, read 792,360 times
Spatzle. Red cabbage.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:53 PM

905 posts, read 792,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I was thinking of spaetzle noodles and red cabbage. You need something acidic to cut through all of the fat.
Ha I did not see this before posting but we obviously think alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink