Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Bonito del Norte from Spain is my favorite. Tins of it are about $12, jars are twice that much. It’s from the tuna belly, which is fattier and richer than other cuts.

There are restaurants that specialize in tinned fish nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 10:36 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I buy Genova yellowfin tuna, and I won’t buy anything else. I grew up eating regular tuna, graduated to Bumble Bee and finally had to admit that chunk light albacore had declined in quality.

The yellowfin tastes like good tuna to me. I simply like it best. I rinse lightly before eating or using.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Nutrionally speaking, any difference?
Now I'm wondering the same thing. But it's easy to check on the nutrition label.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:21 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
There are restaurants that specialize in tinned fish nowadays.
Canned fish is very popular in the Russian cuisine. There are many varieties of it, with each one coming in multiple flavors, like sunflower oil or tomato sauce. It's usually served on toast or with boiled potatoes. It's mainly bachelor and working-class food, but still.

Old 03-20-2020, 11:48 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Canned fish is very popular in the Russian cuisine. There are many varieties of it, with each one coming in multiple flavors, like sunflower oil or tomato sauce. It's usually served on toast or with boiled potatoes. It's mainly bachelor and working-class food, but still.
It’s very popular in Spain. Definitely not “bachelor food”.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
It's very popular in my home

This is my favorite canned tuna. A solid slice of tuna with maybe a teaspoon of oil and small chili.

https://villagequalityproducts.com/b...garden/page/2/

Last edited by elnina; 03-20-2020 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 01:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Albacore is slightly more expensive, supposedly higher fat content. Actually, I prefer the cheaper canned tuna, but if they are on sale I will buy both Albacore and Skipjack. they are great when minced with onion and herbs and grilled on toasts. It is the raw Tuna that is giving me headache.

I tried both types of raw tuna, taste horrible when properly cooked but taste better when undercooked.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:21 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
I buy my canned tuna from either Tuna Guys in Washington state or, every time I am anywhere near, the canned tuna (and king salmon) from Luna Sea Restaurant and Fish Monger in Yachats, Oregon. Sure, it is FAR more expensive than supermarket stuff, but it also much better.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 03-20-2020, 04:06 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Albacore is slightly more expensive, supposedly higher fat content. Actually, I prefer the cheaper canned tuna, but if they are on sale I will buy both Albacore and Skipjack. they are great when minced with onion and herbs and grilled on toasts. It is the raw Tuna that is giving me headache.
Albacore is dry like chicken breast. I too prefer the cheap stuff. But I can never get it to taste like tuna salad sold in stores.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:22 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,329,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Albacore is dry like chicken breast. I too prefer the cheap stuff. But I can never get it to taste like tuna salad sold in stores.
I wonder if the kind of mayonnaise or yogurt, cream cheese or grain mustard that stores use for their tuna salad would make a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink