Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 10:59 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,379,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I wonder if the kind of mayonnaise or yogurt, cream cheese or grain mustard that stores use for their tuna salad would make a difference?
Try mixing in apple chunks and sliced almonds. Really makes tuna salad pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'd be inclined to think that the most significant difference is that the high end tuna is the most endangered compared to low end tuna.

I would like to know where you got that information as I have never heard that before? for me, the main difference is the flavor of the fish. Off brands seem to have less flavor and contain more liquid.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There is also a price difference in quality. Cat-food like mush in water cost less than chunks in cheap oil, which cost less than single, solid slice in olive oil.
Interesting because we actually use the cheap mushy stuff for our little doggy. She is getting old and very picky so her diet consists pretty much or rice and cheap tuna. She loves it. Of course we are not dogs or cats.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 AM

5,465 posts, read 4,090,413 times
Isn't all tuna wild caught? Is anyone farming tuna? Hard to imagine. The cheap stuff looks like cat food when you open the can. There is even a brand that adds soy protein to the tuna. I rarely eat it, I prefer canned salmon, in the small cans, skinless and boneless.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 AM

5,910 posts, read 7,008,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButteCreek View Post
We just buy what is on sale, as long as it is solid white albacore in water.
I have switched to only buying tuna packed in oil.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:18 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,082,612 times
Better? As in taste or nutritionally? Folks seem to have lots of opinions, but no answer to the, Which is better, nutritionally question?

I know, I can look on the label, but with the wide variety folks have about better and regional brands mentioned, doubt I'd ever get around to all the places to check the label. So;

Which is better, nutritionally question?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I buy my canned tuna from either Tuna Guys in Washington state or, every time I am anywhere near, the canned tuna (and king salmon) from Luna Sea Restaurant and Fish Monger in Yachats, Oregon. Sure, it is FAR more expensive than supermarket stuff, but it also much better.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:37 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,888,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This is something I always wondered. I'm aware there are three main commercial species of canned tuna: skipjack (light), albacore (white), and yellowfin. Let's start with examples.

Basic tuna is your Big Three: Starkist, Chicken of the Sea, and Bumblebee. Also the generic store brands, which could be made by any of these. They cost on average $0.99 a can.

High-end tuna is your Genova, Wild Planet, and their ilk. These don't come in generic, to my knowledge. They cost as much as $3.99 a can.

Compare like-for-like when comparing between basic tuna and high-end tuna. So... are there any significant differences between basic and high-end brands brands? Like, the sustainability of fishing methods, the taste, the texture, or some combination of the above. Or is it just the name?

Discuss!
Different cuts? Similar to Boneless Loin, Boneless ****, Ground Round, Ground Chuck or Ground Beef. OH I see L*in is now a incorrect word. WAFJ PC is.Political correctness gone amok or what?

Old 03-21-2020, 02:42 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,577,766 times
If I’m the ceo and If I can convince you $3.99 tuna is better I get to go to Hawaii after the virus is over

Old 03-21-2020, 03:13 PM

68,354 posts, read 54,560,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Isn't all tuna wild caught? Is anyone farming tuna? Hard to imagine. The cheap stuff looks like cat food when you open the can. There is even a brand that adds soy protein to the tuna. I rarely eat it, I prefer canned salmon, in the small cans, skinless and boneless.

But they are: https://norwegianscitechnews.com/201...-menu-farming/

Other ocean fish also, for example: Steelhead are ocean run Rainbow Trout and my local market recently had farm raised Steelhead on sale and another market farm raised Coho Salmon.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:15 PM

68,354 posts, read 54,560,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I have switched to only buying tuna packed in oil.

Many years ago my Mom got me in the habit of water packed tuna, my buying habits changed immediately the first time I tried tuna packed in olive oil, IMO better taste and texture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink