Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 02:13 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times

Advertisements

Chopping liver. Absolutely hate it. Yet, I have several recipes where finely chopped liver adds flavor and texture (and you'd never realize that's what it's from), and I wouldn't want to leave it out. Yeah, I know leave it partially frozen - don't care, still gross and a PITA.

I also hate chopping just about anything else. However, the COOLEST thing I love is using my Vita Mix. Dang! That thing gets stuff just velvety smooth in instants - it's like watching magic!

Stirring simmering stuff is great, I just stand there with a glass of wine and keep my husband company while he does the stirring (the man has so much more patience than me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
When the Greater Power was handing out "cooking genes", I got passed over. My favorite recipe is "reservations".

Old 04-29-2020, 03:11 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Walking into the kitchen...I like to bake, though.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:37 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Moderating temps when making candies or anything that is down to the nano second skill!!
Gosh I've ruined a chocolate recipe because the temp breaking point happened and I lost the correct texture!

I made my own filo pastry once. It takes hours to knead, roll, fridge, repeat. It was a day long event. Finally made the raspberry treat and I ended up saying. Next time I'm just getting the frozen filo. That pastry was NOT that epic that I had to spend hours making the dough.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:26 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
My most dreaded task is peeling butternut squash.
In general, I don’t like anything that requires a lot of preparation. I had a meal plan for awhile. While I loved not having to think about what to make three nights a week, I did not enjoy all the chopping, sautéing, and other steps required. The process was much more labor intensive than usual.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
DISHES!!

I absolutely hate doing dishes so I make the hubs do them.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:29 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I only do it once a year but it's one of my least favorite tasks. That is getting up early in the morning and, before I've even had enough coffee to steel my nerves, having to chase a slippery, ice cold turkey carcass around in my roaster trying to stuff it.
LOL. We call that "wrestling the turkey", a task completed before breakfast.

But the worst task surrounding roasting the turkey is cleaning the meat off the carcass after dinner, disposing of the unwanted bits, pieces, and bones, and clearing all the turkey gunk and goop from the kitchen.

Overall, that's my least favorite cooking task: cleaning up afterward. If I don't cook, I don't have to clean! LOL

Old 04-29-2020, 04:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Anything to do with fish. I do not do fish at all.

I have never deep fried anything. My mother did it all the time with French fries and she kept a fire extinguisher handy. That's why I never did it.

For peeling the butternut squash, it seems to help if you soak it in hot water first. But lately I've been cheating and buying it already cut.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LOL. We call that "wrestling the turkey", a task completed before breakfast.

But the worst task surrounding roasting the turkey is cleaning the meat off the carcass after dinner, disposing of the unwanted bits, pieces, and bones, and clearing all the turkey gunk and goop from the kitchen.

LOL
I don't dread roasting a whole turkey any more as I just refuse to do it. I hate preparing it, I hate smelling it while it is cooking, I hate carving it, and I hate having to pick all the leftover meat off all the greasy bones. Ugh. Someone else can make the turkey, or if we have a small group I might make a turkey breast in the slow cooker. That's good enough for me. I don't even like turkey all that much.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:09 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My most dreaded task is peeling butternut squash.
In general, I don’t like anything that requires a lot of preparation. I had a meal plan for awhile. While I loved not having to think about what to make three nights a week, I did not enjoy all the chopping, sautéing, and other steps required. The process was much more labor intensive than usual.

When we get the hard shell squash, I stab it a few times, & then microwave it, Once it has cooled down, then you can peel it easily, or sometimes, I just cook it, skin on (stabbed) & then use the cooked flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink