Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What kind of grated cheese do you prefer
Pecorino Romano 14 40.00%
Parmesan 17 48.57%
Grana Padano 3 8.57%
Parmigiana Reggiano 13 37.14%
I don't like grated cheese 1 2.86%
I use the stuff in the jar that you shake on pasta 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:15 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

I love Grated cheese on pastas and many other things I prefer the real stuff not the fake stuff in the can as my husband calls it how about you? if there are any others out there that I did not list please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 11:00 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I buy a chunk of parmesan from WF and keep it in the fridge. I have the bottle one for the bf. He doesn't have the patience to grate it

Old 06-24-2020, 12:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I use all of them depending one what I am making. For carbonara I like pecorino romano. I like parmesan or parmigiana for general purpose pasta. I forget about grana pandano and I don't usually buy it. Aged gouda is also a good option. Or an aged manchego.

I generally just love the hard cheeses.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:31 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I like 4 C brand. I can tell the difference of that vs Kraft or other ones w/ cellulose in them.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:49 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
growing up we had 4C or Kraft then one day my dad said buy the good stuff. I buy the locatelli brand mostly but today I went to Stu Leonard's and bought their fresh grated Romano.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:51 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
My mother made one particular casserole that called for the jar-type grated Parmesan cheese. Something about the way it crusted when baked. You know how often the first version of something you experience seems "right" and subsequent versions "wrong"? A musical performance, a movie, how something is cooked, etc. Maybe its just because my memory of this traditional family comfort food is very specific and I am wanting the associations as well as the dish, using "real" grated Parmesan never seems to work or taste right. When I make it, I use the jar stuff. Its the only reason I buy it.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:13 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
My mother made one particular casserole that called for the jar-type grated Parmesan cheese. Something about the way it crusted when baked. You know how often the first version of something you experience seems "right" and subsequent versions "wrong"? A musical performance, a movie, how something is cooked, etc. Maybe its just because my memory of this traditional family comfort food is very specific and I am wanting the associations as well as the dish, using "real" grated Parmesan never seems to work or taste right. When I make it, I use the jar stuff. Its the only reason I buy it.
I have that same experience with two items. A casserole made with shaped pasta, ground beef onions, tons of garlic, butter, mushrooms (the ONLY ONLY ONLY time I use canned mushrooms) and Kraft grated 'parm.' The other is my childhood comfort food that remains a midnight snack: capellini (angel hair) pasta, garlic powder, tons of butter, red pepper flakes and the Kraft crap.

But what about shredded cheddar, mozzarella and swiss?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I have that same experience with two items. A casserole made with shaped pasta, ground beef onions, tons of garlic, butter, mushrooms (the ONLY ONLY ONLY time I use canned mushrooms)an egg or two to hold it together and Kraft grated 'parm.' The other is my childhood comfort food that remains a midnight snack: capellini (angel hair) pasta, garlic powder, tons of butter, red pepper flakes and the Kraft crap.

But what about shredded cheddar, mozzarella and swiss?

Old 06-24-2020, 02:00 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Can you explain the difference between the Parmigiano Reggiano and the parmesan? We only use Parmigiano Reggiano and a lot more grated cheeses than what is in the poll. Why only Italian cheeses?

We buy a 1/8 wheel of Parmigiano R., divide it into wedges and vacuum seal the extra wedges, keeping them in one of the fridges. We also buy large pieces of gruyere and do the same.

Last edited by Dogboa; 06-24-2020 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 02:53 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,719,419 times

If Parmigiano-Reggiano is champagne, then Parmesan would be sparkling wine. Parmesan is produced with techniques inspired by Parmigiano-Reggiano but Parmesan can’t call itself Parmigiano-Reggiano because it is not from the designated Emilia-Romagna region of Italy and may not follow the Consorzio Del Formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano’s production requirements.

Parmigiano-Reggiano is best if grating cheeses in my onion, grated as needed with a microplane.

Once in a while you take a break and get Pecorino Romano or Grana Padano

these hard cheese freeze will in a glass jar and you can grate them directly from the freezer

(works well with ginger also)

grated cheese is also good on steamed or baked potato slices with cracked black pepper.

Cut off a piece of Parmesan, microwave for 35 seconds. It sticks to the plate but peels easily with a butter knife

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink