Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 11:59 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I am talking about foods that were very common and easy to find where you used to live, but cannot easily find in your new state.

For me, moving to Wisconsin from Colorado, it is Green Chile, which can almost be considered Colorado's "state food"! The only place we can find it here is at Costco.

And when we moved to Maine, all the packaged hot dog rolls were like folded sandwich bread. Could not find the "regular" hot dog buns anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 12:02 PM

765 posts, read 620,525 times
I moved from Vermont and I miss creemees! Soft serve ice cream is still around, but it's not quite the same consitency and harder to find, I've found. And maple candy. Maple products, in general, seem to be much rarer and more costly outside Vermont.

Also whoopie pies, though those are more easily found.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:14 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookashiny View Post
I moved from Vermont and I miss creemees! Soft serve ice cream is still around, but it's not quite the same consitency and harder to find, I've found. And maple candy. Maple products, in general, seem to be much rarer and more costly outside Vermont.

Also whoopie pies, though those are more easily found.
Yep. I'll second that on the creemees. I never could figure out why Ben & Jerry's took off, when up the street was the UVM Dairy Science building with great ice cream, and a few miles down the road was the CreeMee stand in Williston.

Mince Pie is also a rarity in the south. UVM ice cream and mince pie? Oh, yeah.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:31 PM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
Here in Wisconsin I cannot find a decent wrap. I end up having to buy them on Amazon and make my own. Nearly every sandwich shop uses tortillas

Many bartenders do not know how to make a real old fashioned so I either have to show them or just make mine at home.

I also buy chicken haddie on Amazon as it is not found in any store.

Old 08-11-2021, 04:19 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We moved from NJ to FL, and found the pizza we missed at a pizzeria owned by other NJ transplants. Then we moved to Atlanta metro, where we found pizza made by another family of transplants, and bagels made by yet another. What I can't find here are Thumann's hotdogs, and I miss them. Boar's Head owns the southern market apparently. They aren't bad, nothing like average supermarket brands like Ballpark, but they don't quite measure up to Thumann's.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:08 PM

557 posts, read 296,900 times
If you move from New York, you miss all food. They just do food better than anywhere. The melting pot melted and meshed and the results are incredible. Yes, there are the standards: pizza and bagels.
But it is everything: the hot dogs from the street vendors to the couture & ethnic restaurants.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I couldn't find good flour tortillas in the Midwest. They were all too thick and soft. The sourdough bread, also, was not as good as sourdough bread in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
If you move from New York, you miss all food. They just do food better than anywhere. The melting pot melted and meshed and the results are incredible. Yes, there are the standards: pizza and bagels.
But it is everything: the hot dogs from the street vendors to the couture & ethnic restaurants.
Mexican food?

Old 08-11-2021, 06:55 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
I may not count since I moved from a city to a very rural area in the same state.

I miss good take out/delivery of all kinds but right now, I am craving SUSHI!!

Old 08-11-2021, 07:20 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post

So true! Plus the "real" hot veggie subs and made to order salads at some deli's. And the real Thia, Chinese, etc. food. My HS had pretzel, bagel and veggie knish carts in the hallways. Cafeteria had everything you could imagine. I really miss my nyc food! Plus almost everywhere had a really good cheap coffee. Also the once a week farmers market had the best veggies and fruit. Way better than a food store, cheaper too.

Omg, how could I forget the 11PM softie ice cream truck?! Also had the best ice's!

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 08-11-2021 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-11-2021, 07:33 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I will have to look up creemees when I have more time - never heard that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink