Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 12:46 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I left NJ decades ago. Hard to find Italian bread with the same crispy crust like you find in any neighborhood bakery there. Same thing with hard rolls. Pizza isn't as good elsewhere. I found a few better places outside the garden state. But the average NJ non chain, parlor pizza would be everyone's favorite elsewhere.

Funny story, a friend from NJ was in the mid-west somewhere and his wife ordered a burger on a hard roll, the waitress apparently thought that a strange request and asked if she was sure she wanted it on a hard roll. Friend's wife answered yes and what arrived at the table was a burger on a stale burger bun.
I've learned to make my own, really not all that difficult.

What I can't find or even find a recipe for is the base for a N Newark double Italian hot dog: Pizza Bread!
I occasionally make a double dog on a flat-bread but would really like to find a recipe for Pizza Bread.

Not so much from moving but just the passage of time, I miss a good Date-Nut-Bread. When I was a kid, Thomas, the maker of English Muffins made a good one but discontinued it. Years later I started buying Neuman's from Chicago in ShopRite and for a while I was able to find it around the holidays in NC but they've apparently gone out of business. I've tried a number of online recipes and none come close to those two.

I also miss having a good Polish meat market nearby, had one in NC for a while but they couldn't make a go of it, all their meats came from NY or Chicago and were the real deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 10:04 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Funny story, a friend from NJ was in the mid-west somewhere and his wife ordered a burger on a hard roll, the waitress apparently thought that a strange request and asked if she was sure she wanted it on a hard roll. Friend's wife answered yes and what arrived at the table was a burger on a stale burger bun.
I've learned to make my own, really not all that difficult.

What I can't find or even find a recipe for is the base for a N Newark double Italian hot dog: Pizza Bread!
I occasionally make a double dog on a flat-bread but would really like to find a recipe for Pizza Bread.

Not so much from moving but just the passage of time, I miss a good Date-Nut-Bread. When I was a kid, Thomas, the maker of English Muffins made a good one but discontinued it. Years later I started buying Neuman's from Chicago in ShopRite and for a while I was able to find it around the holidays in NC but they've apparently gone out of business. I've tried a number of online recipes and none come close to those two.

I also miss having a good Polish meat market nearby, had one in NC for a while but they couldn't make a go of it, all their meats came from NY or Chicago and were the real deal.
Love the hard roll story. Nothing like grabbing a buttered hard roll for breakfast with coffee on the way to work.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:28 AM

164 posts, read 127,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
If you move from New York, you miss all food. They just do food better than anywhere. The melting pot melted and meshed and the results are incredible. Yes, there are the standards: pizza and bagels.
But it is everything: the hot dogs from the street vendors to the couture & ethnic restaurants.
I totally agree with you. There are a lot of street foods that you will only found in New York like sweet mini cakes, hotdogs, steam rice rolls, etc.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2021, 05:50 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Pork tenderloin sandwiches were and are still a very big thing in the middle of the midwest and when I moved from northern MO to eastern OH for college they were nonexistant. Obviously they knew of a cut called a "pork tenderloin" which is somewhat similar to a beef tenderloin (filet mignon) but is usually cooked as a roast.

But a cut for a pork tenderloin sandwich is not the same and the butchers "out there" didn't have a clue. I ended up buying thin boneless pork chops, pounding them out thin and then doing the usual egg/cracker crumb coating and shallow frying in oil and butter. But it still wasn't quite the same as when I returned to the REAL midwest!

Here's a "recipe":
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1973144

Old 08-31-2021, 07:55 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystle12 View Post
I totally agree with you. There are a lot of street foods that you will only found in New York like sweet mini cakes, hotdogs
I'd venture to guess you could find hot dog carts in just about any city in the United States.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:24 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Love the hard roll story. Nothing like grabbing a buttered hard roll for breakfast with coffee on the way to work.

My town had amassed a sizeable Portuguese population so that evolved to a buttered Portuguese roll and coffee, but for $1.00 all in while I was still there it was a very acceptable deal.

Old 08-31-2021, 08:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
We finally have everything! In Colorado...I lived in NYC, Boston, TX, FL, New England mainly.
(KCMO had nothing 'different' or super special to them.)

So you can imagine all the good foods! The list would be too long.
I am finally happy. LOL
OH! Now, if I still ate sweets or baked things's Entemann's is nowhere, tho. A NY thing.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We finally have everything! In Colorado...I lived in NYC, Boston, TX, FL, New England mainly.
(KCMO had nothing 'different' or super special to them.)

So you can imagine all the good foods! The list would be too long.
I am finally happy. LOL
OH! Now, if I still ate sweets or baked things's Entemann's is nowhere, tho. A NY thing.
CO does not have every kind of food available elsewhere in the US. However, it might have everything YOU want.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:43 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd venture to guess you could find hot dog carts in just about any city in the United States.
Hot dog carts are NOT the same around the country. I doubt that you can find something all that similar to Sabrette's carts anywhere else. Likewise, you cab probably not find a true Chicago hot dog outside of Chicagoland and Phoenix

Old 08-31-2021, 11:24 AM

789 posts, read 368,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I miss blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay.
Yep - steamed blue crabs, but also crab cakes

Most places uses way too much filler and too little lump meat. Nothing like a good MD crab cake - I'm partial to G&M, but there are plenty of places to get a great crab cake in MD.

EDIT: almost forgot the crab soup - nowhere that I've found makes crab soup like in MD

Last edited by edglock21; 08-31-2021 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: crab soup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink