Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 08:55 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
when I lived in California , I missed seeded rye bread from the bakery.

Now that I am back , I have not really seen it anywhere. I guess people don't buy it anymore ?
Caraway is one of those flavors people either like or hate. Toast some seeds in a pan, spritz the bread with water, and add the seeds to the top. However... rye bread is a mystery. Some people can make it, I've never been able to. What passes for rye in the store is nice, but not a full-on rye bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 09:31 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Pane D’Amore Bread bakery (locations on the Olympic Peninsula, WA) made a delicious caraway rye loaf that we bought almost every week when we lived in the area. Everything else they made was delicious, come to think of it. They sometimes made a 100% rye loaf (no seeds), which weighed a million pounds and was as dense as a brick; this was my least liked of their breads.

I’ve never seen anything close to their caraway rye bread elsewhere. But I make my own whole wheat bread with at least 50% whole wheat flour, the rest white flour specifically meant for bread, on which I sometimes add caraway seeds to the top of the loaf when the foil is removed before the final few minutes of baking that browns the top. (It was spritzed when first put in the oven with the foil tent on it.)

The caraway seeds taste just as good with my hearty, no-sweetener rustic bread as they do with rye.

I’ve also toasted caraway seeds, mixed them with fancy sea salt and softened “Euro” butter, and spread that on the toasted bread. Caraway needs a flavor counterpoint, IMO. Good salt and the yeast in my bread provide it. With rye bread, the rye dough itself gives that counterpoint.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:24 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I didn't "move away" but my mother lived in San Diego County and I love the San Diego style Mexican food. That doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. It's most certainly not available in Idaho.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:36 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I didn't "move away" but my mother lived in San Diego County and I love the San Diego style Mexican food. That doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. It's most certainly not available in Idaho.
Many years ago, I discovered fish tacos during a business trip to San Diego. I was walking around looking for dinner, and saw two women hand making tortillas in the window of a restaurant (what a great marketing move). I had fish tacos -- and have been looking for fish tacos that were that good ever since. Closest I've come to them are the San Diego style fish tacos at Asada, my favorite restaurant here in Greenville SC.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:10 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, I need to say that when I moved to NE Texas from the east coast, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven food wise.

But one thing that did surprise me is that my Texas born and bred husband had never even heard of Brunswick stew. WHAT? I couldn't believe it. When I went back recently on vacation, I made sure I got a bowl of it in a restaurant. Yum!

I also love the blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay area - I love the seafood in general from that area.

But honestly, I do love me some Texas food choices. Those are the only things I can really think of from other states. Now, from other COUNTRIES...well, that's another whole topic!
Brunswick stew is seldom if ever featured once you leave the SE coast. I don't know how common it is farther west in the South, but I have never come across it in Louisiana until one day I stopped in Columbia (La) for lunch and went to a bbq buffet place. In line, I ask what the stew was. The guy told me Brunswick Stew. I said "It looks good. Let me try it" I fell in love with it. The proprietor had spent time working in Restaurants over in Georgia. One day I'll get over there and try some good food over that way.

Old 08-26-2021, 04:35 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Brunswick stew is seldom if ever featured once you leave the SE coast. I don't know how common it is farther west in the South, but I have never come across it in Louisiana until one day I stopped in Columbia (La) for lunch and went to a bbq buffet place. In line, I ask what the stew was. The guy told me Brunswick Stew. I said "It looks good. Let me try it" I fell in love with it. The proprietor had spent time working in Restaurants over in Georgia. One day I'll get over there and try some good food over that way.
When I lived in NC, I used to be fond of the fish and shrimp stew called muddle. Never seen it outside NC. The eggs in the version I had at a local restaurant had the eggs dropped into the stew to cook, rather than hard boiled as in this version:

https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/n...a-fish-muddle/

Old 08-30-2021, 08:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First of all, I need to say that when I moved to NE Texas from the east coast, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven food wise.

But honestly, I do love me some Texas food choices. Those are the only things I can really think of from other states. Now, from other COUNTRIES...well, that's another whole topic!
I've never been to Texas (though I'd love to visit), so can you say more about Texas food? I'm intrigued.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:02 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
For my hubby who grew up outside of Boston - probably will say, his Dad's baked goods and Portuguese NE Clam Boil and Linguiça.

Me: I grew up outside of Rochester, NY. There were a few places my Dad used to stop at to get our fave cider donuts, clams, and hot dogs. Not all on the same day, of course. Since Wegmans has a store about a 45 mins drive from us, we can go there now and if it's not sold out, we can get a few of those items. Same as for Abbott's custard. Too bad I can't get them at the same price anymore

Last edited by cat1116; 08-30-2021 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: My iPad drops letters on occasion and I'm too quick hitting send - bad combo lol.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:28 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I spent most of my adult years in CT, before moving to MS and TX 20 years ago. I still miss the foods that were plentiful up north:

Brown bread in a can
Italian table cheese
Italian pastries - pasticciotti, sfogliattelle, zepole,
Italian cold cuts that were found in every supermarket deli
(good) Pizza
Black raspberries
Fried clams (with the bellies)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Decent restaurant Italian fare. It does not exist here. On the other hand mediocre Mexican is everywhere.
I agree with these posts. I grew up in Toronto and Montréal, where authentic Italian food was everywhere.
But I miss all the European ethnic foods -- Greek, Portuguese, German, Polish, Irish, Scottish, Hungarian, French, Swiss, etc one can easily find up north in grocery stores, delis, bakeries, and family-owned restaurants.

* Good quality, rustic Italian, Portuguese, and German breads and rolls, pastries, meats, etc
* Montréal Smoked Meat
* Peameal Bacon (aka:REAL Canadian Bacon)
* Fresh honey-garlic sausage
* Fresh Scots Meat Pies
* Widely available good European chocolate
* More widely available PEI mussels
* Great Lakes fish, like Bass and Perch

From Metro Detroit/Michigan:

* Warm, fresh apple cider donuts. I'm not much of a donut person, but these are incredible
* Jewish/Kosher food; restaurants
* Great Lakes fish, like Walleye
* Jack's Garden Fresh Gourmet Salsa - widely available in grocery stores throughout Metro Detroit, and the best store-bought salsa I've ever had
* Widely available Michigan cherries
* Pasties
* Coney Island Diners - great for breakfast, lunch. Great french fries
* Vernor's Ginger Ale

Old 08-30-2021, 11:47 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post

From Metro Detroit/Michigan:

* Warm, fresh apple cider donuts. I'm not much of a donut person, but these are incredible
* Jewish/Kosher food; restaurants
* Great Lakes fish, like Walleye
* Jack's Garden Fresh Gourmet Salsa - widely available in grocery stores throughout Metro Detroit, and the best store-bought salsa I've ever had
* Widely available Michigan cherries
* Pasties
* Coney Island Diners - great for breakfast, lunch. Great french fries
* Vernor's Ginger Ale

In addition:

Excellent Middle Eastern foods of all persuasion
Great Greek Food
Sause
Detroit style Pizza

And that does NOT include a number of foods that are across the Detroit River in Windsor, ON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink