Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 11:37 AM

18,126 posts, read 11,762,592 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to Florida coming from NY ... it was a pure cultural shock! From good drinking fountain water to pizza to missing the Italian bakery; cannoli's, REAL cheesecakes, the cookies, and (YUM!) pastries - the list is endless. Whatever I could find in Publix, would be sufficient or as substitutions.

Life was never the same since leaving Long Island, New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 11:48 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We finally have everything! In Colorado...I lived in NYC, Boston, TX, FL, New England mainly.
(KCMO had nothing 'different' or super special to them.)

So you can imagine all the good foods! The list would be too long.
I am finally happy. LOL
OH! Now, if I still ate sweets or baked things's Entemann's is nowhere, tho. A NY thing.

I don't know how widely they've begun distributing but readily available in coastal NC. But apparently not their brownies which I always liked.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:09 PM

2,349 posts, read 616,788 times
Well, since leaving Del Rio Texas - to SE TX, CA, AZ back to SE TX - I've never had a breakfast taco that tastes as good as at Chinto's Super Taco's in Del Rio, Egg and potato with onions and cheese - w/green sauce. One was perfect. The potatoes were NOT french fries - they were wonderful !!! AZ makes breakfast taco's with the huge tortilla and it's too much for just one person.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:08 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,710,172 times
Left Wisconsin almost 27 years ago and have yet to find anyone who can produce a quality Friday night fish fry and a good brandy old fashioned. Wisconsin does those right!

Old 08-31-2021, 03:00 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,383,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Hot dog carts are NOT the same around the country. I doubt that you can find something all that similar to Sabrette's carts anywhere else. Likewise, you cab probably not find a true Chicago hot dog outside of Chicagoland and Phoenix
There are Chicago dogs in LA area (even a couple of Portillo's), San Diego and Las Vegas at a minimum. You can find hot dog stands in a lot of cities that serve NY style dogs - Nathans are available nationwide.

Old 08-31-2021, 04:02 PM

668 posts, read 471,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Love the hard roll story. Nothing like grabbing a buttered hard roll for breakfast with coffee on the way to work.

the Jersey breakfast! The hard roll story was pretty funny

Old 09-01-2021, 03:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
https://www.thespruceeats.com/jewish...recipe-1136323

Once in a while in Mt. Kisco (NYS), I'd buy one of these. Different fillings as I remember. Can't find these in most states.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:16 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,155,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
https://www.thespruceeats.com/jewish...recipe-1136323

Once in a while in Mt. Kisco (NYS), I'd buy one of these. Different fillings as I remember. Can't find these in most states.

I miss those! The ones my school sold didn't look like that but they were the best I ever had.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:38 PM

19,538 posts, read 9,552,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
We finally have everything! In Colorado...I lived in NYC, Boston, TX, FL, New England mainly.
(KCMO had nothing 'different' or super special to them.)

So you can imagine all the good foods! The list would be too long.
I am finally happy. LOL
OH! Now, if I still ate sweets or baked things's Entemann's is nowhere, tho. A NY thing.
Entemann's, haven't heard/seen that name in a while. It's possible that with as many products they put out I must have had something since we moved further south. I tried to do a product search by zip and selected many but when I hit enter, got a strange error, "agent offline"? Guess I'll just look in the stores. Having moved from NY to Pa, also quite familiar with Tastykake. I try to get their mini cinnamon donuts on occasion. I've actually tried to cut down on stuff like that but da** hubby keeps buying them. Leaves them out and doesn't always finish them. I have to keep reminding him. These are his individual excursions shopping. When we go out together, I may coax him to split a sub or sandwich with me. It cuts down on the baked goods placed in the cart, providing that they're not buried under a bunch of other things.

Last edited by cat1116; 09-03-2021 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling correction

Old 09-03-2021, 10:21 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,257,270 times
Entenmann's is widely available in the Los Angeles area as well as the Washington D.C. area (and likely in many other areas). I don't think it's a regional thing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink