Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 07:20 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,152,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Entemann's, haven't heard/seen that name in a while. It's possible that with as many products they put out I must have had something since we moved further south. I tried to do a product search by zip and selected many but when I hit enter, got a strange error, "agent offline"? Guess I'll just look in the stores. Having moved from NY to Pa, also quite familiar with Tastykake. I try to get their mini cinnamon donuts on occasion. I've actually tried to cut down on stuff like that but da** hubby keeps buying them. Leaves them out and doesn't always finish them. I have to keep reminding him. These are his individual excursions shopping. When we go out together, I may coax him to split a sub or sandwich with me. It cuts down on the baked goods placed in the cart, providing that they're not buried under a bunch of other things.

I found them for you! And I mean all of them. I couldn't believe they had 2 sections of long tables in the food store I went to. Probably because the tourist shop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 11:14 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Entenmann's is widely available in the Los Angeles area as well as the Washington D.C. area (and likely in many other areas). I don't think it's a regional thing at all.
Entenmenn's is produced by the Grupo Bimbo and is readily available in most markets. That stuff is purely awful.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Entenmenn's is produced by the Grupo Bimbo and is readily available in most markets. That stuff is purely awful.
They're distributed all over the U.S.:

Quote:
Entenmann's is an American company that manufactures baked goods and delivers them throughout the United States to supermarkets and other retailers for sale to the public
(Wikipedia)

Old 09-05-2021, 08:51 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Twenty years ago the chocolate cake was decent. I haven't seen that in a store in at least three years. Maybe it's now so bad that no one wants to sell it.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:35 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
My home state is NY. Grew up in the NYC metro area. Our first move was PA. VERY different food there. The Pizza in NE PA was mostly Old Forge Style - made on a tray with American cheese - mot mozzarella. To me, it was just another food. Good in its own way, but not pizza as most people know it. The pirogies in NE PA were plentiful and wonderful.

We only lived in PA for a couple of years.

We have been in Ohio for eight years. Where I currently live, I miss knishes and good, boiled bagels. Chinese food could be better. The Italian food, including pizza, is just as good as NY. YES, you read that right.

Living here I have learned to love Hungarian Peppers in oil, on bread, on eggs with breakfast, on everything.

We are looking at moving further west to the Cleveland area, and we know CLE is a great foodie city.

I'm flexible. I enjoy the food everywhere.

Old 09-06-2021, 04:38 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
when I lived in California , I missed seeded rye bread from the bakery.

Now that I am back , I have not really seen it anywhere. I guess people don't buy it anymore ?
I couldn't live without rye bread with caraway seeds. I can't believe they don't have it in CA.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
https://www.thespruceeats.com/jewish...recipe-1136323

Once in a while in Mt. Kisco (NYS), I'd buy one of these. Different fillings as I remember. Can't find these in most states.

More a move in time than in geography but when i was a small boy I'd take the bus with my Dad into Manhattan's Port Authority terminal and one of our first stops would be to get a Knish at a Jewish Deli on 8th Ave., peasant food at its FINEST!

Wonderful Times!

Old 09-06-2021, 09:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I couldn't live without rye bread with caraway seeds. I can't believe they don't have it in CA.

Strange things happen out there in the world. I was playing cards in South Lake Tahoe once and just wanted a sandwich, not a whole 'sit-down' meal. Went to an in-house Deli and ordered a Pastrami on Rye. It arrived garnished with lettuce, tomato, and mayo!

Old 02-02-2022, 04:22 PM

782 posts, read 1,356,114 times
I grew up in San Francisco in the 60s-80s and left some 35 yrs ago.
I have lots of memorys of great foods and snacks that I haven't found anywhere else I have lived.
I miss eating russian peroskis, authentic mexican foods and baked goods at the Mission District, It's-It's which are frozen ice cream treats sandwiched between 2 chocolate covered graham cookies, fresh baked sour dough french bread from the old bakeries at fisherman's wharf, seafood at the wharf, fresh cooked food at many Chinatown street front markets, some of the best breakfasts at small wharf front restaurants, Fresh made chocolates at Ghiradelli Square.
Eating at all the little natural earth food restaurants and groceries in the area.
The food there is so tremendously unique and delicious that I sometimes think of going to visit just for the food.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:39 AM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
Can't think of anything I can't eat here in Duluth MN that I could eat in Columbus Ohio, but the abundance of foreign restaurants in Columbus FAR exceeds what is available here. I could go to a French restaurant, Moroccan, Lebanese, Greek, you name it there. Of course if I traveled down to the Twin Cities I could find many of those and more down there. We have a greater abundance of local wild fish here, and local wild rice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink