Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 5,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
<snip>...And when we moved to Maine, all the packaged hot dog rolls were like folded sandwich bread. Could not find the "regular" hot dog buns anywhere!
LOL To me, those ARE "regular" buns - and I can't find them anywhere down South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
LA food is up there, too.
Having grown up in New England, I think it is also high up on the list of places with great food not readily obtained elsewhere.
Specific things I miss from there:
- Pizza slices, for sure. Heck, Italian food in general, especially the little delis/sub shops with pepper-and-egg or housemade Italian sausage or real Italian cold cuts (with oil and vinegar, NOT MAYO bastardizations!!!). All on fresh Italian submarine bread.
- Authentic Chinese food, especially dim sum and Cantonese dishes.
- FANTASTIC HARD ICE CREAM! All year round, in the city, in the burbs, in the countryside at farms where they make their own right there and serve zillions of cyclists stopping by. With flavors such as Grapenuts, black raspberry, REAL maple walnut, frozen pudding.
- Whoopie pies.
- Fresh—really fresh—bluefish, “schrod,” and little scallops. Cooked simply but perfectly.
- Jonny cakes, which are not cakes or pancakes at all but a side starch.
- Roast turkey dinners any time of year, cooked from scratch.
- Custard pie and ricotta “pie.”
- Indian pudding.
- Corn that was brought in from the fields minutes before buying it.
- Tiny wild blueberries, strawberries, raspberries.
- Fish chowder made the old way, with milk, butter, cod pieces, onion, potato, maybe some fresh herbs.
Agrees with all of the above...
Gads, YES. I haven't found decent pizza or Chinese takeout yet, and I've been here almost 3 years.
I don't think this area understands dim sum.

Really miss dropping into an ice cream stand for an afternoon snack when out driving. Love grapenuts ice cream and frozen pudding. There are very few ice cream places here, and don't seem to have any imagination when it comes to flavours - even plain coffee ice cream is hard to find.

I've resorted to making my own chowdah -- everybody has clam and/or seafood, but I haven't seen a fish chowder on the menu of any place nearby.
But a local restaurant DOES have an excellent turkey dinner on their menu. And I found a farmstand that I can get corn at - if they aren't already sold out by the time I get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
<snip>... Miss the cheaper food prices too.
nods. I'd seriously beg on bended knee for a Market Basket.
If I feel in need of a little depression, I'll browse the latest MB flyer
Now I know why my uncle said YEARS ago that it was cheaper to eat out than buy groceries. (He moved from VT to FL)

And GOOD deli, Carando and Thin & Trim -- Publix has a few things under their house brand, but 95% of what I can find is Boar's Head, which is over-priced and under-whelming.

Last edited by ChrysFox; 02-05-2022 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
When I moved to Texas nearly thirty years ago, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven food wise.

Seriously, prior to that - now keep in mind this was thirty years ago - the only Mexican food I had had was from Taco Bell.

I go to eat Mexican food with family members every time I go to Ohio and honestly, it's just not the same. Foods are different in different regions, and in southern Ohio (Dayton/Cincinnati area) good Mexican food is just hard to find. But they excel in other things.

You know what is weird? When I was in Maine and Boston and even in Virginia, there was no shortage of good seafood. But further south - like just a coupla hours further south on the Outer Banks of NC - I couldn't find any decent seafood. WHAT THE HECK. I mean, THERE'S THE OCEAN RIGHT THERE - GO GET SOME SEAFOOD.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:10 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I moved to the West Coast from Maryland 37 years ago, and I miss blue crabs from the Chesapeake Bay. The Dungeness crabs out here may be bigger and easier to pick, but the flavor just isn't nearly as good. Whenever I go back to Maryland to visit friends and family, I head for the nearest crab shack.
I agree on the crabs. There is nothing like east coast blue crabs. Lately here in VT, my local grocery has been getting 8 oz containers of Phillip's Lump Crab meat. It's a little taste of "home" but they charge $25 for that little 8oz container. I heat it in butter and sprinkle a bit of Old Bay crab seasoning on it.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:27 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Moved from NYC to southern NJ. I miss affordable Greek food, thin crust pizza, Jamaican Roti's, fried shrimp and scallops with fried vegetables.
Ah, should have gone central. I have a good Greek place in Red Bank. Not in the area right now, and I miss it.

I worked in the city. You could get anything.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:28 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I moved to Texas nearly thirty years ago, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven food wise.

Seriously, prior to that - now keep in mind this was thirty years ago - the only Mexican food I had had was from Taco Bell.

I go to eat Mexican food with family members every time I go to Ohio and honestly, it's just not the same. Foods are different in different regions, and in southern Ohio (Dayton/Cincinnati area) good Mexican food is just hard to find. But they excel in other things.

You know what is weird? When I was in Maine and Boston and even in Virginia, there was no shortage of good seafood. But further south - like just a coupla hours further south on the Outer Banks of NC - I couldn't find any decent seafood. WHAT THE HECK. I mean, THERE'S THE OCEAN RIGHT THERE - GO GET SOME SEAFOOD.
I got excellent, fresh seafood when I was in Oak Island. South of the Outer Banks, of course, but still NC.

We bought fresh shrimp and fresh tuna from a little seafood market and cooked it at home. It's so hard to eat the not-as-fresh stuff after that.

But yeah, you're next to the ocean, so what's up with that.

That's how I felt when I visited Dallas about forty years ago. May have changed, but I expected really good beef when I went there and was terribly disappointed when the burgers I got tasted like dog food and the steak was chewy. One of the guys in the apartment complex where we were staying said, "Oh, they send all the good beef up north where they can get the prices."

We were in our twenties and didn't go to any fancy upscale steak places, so I'm sure it was available somewhere for the right price, but still. The beef we did have was worse than what we could get in New Jersey. Again, that all may be different now.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:49 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I got excellent, fresh seafood when I was in Oak Island. South of the Outer Banks, of course, but still NC.

We bought fresh shrimp and fresh tuna from a little seafood market and cooked it at home. It's so hard to eat the not-as-fresh stuff after that.

But yeah, you're next to the ocean, so what's up with that.

Don't know about the OB, only been there on a winter flight to Kitty Hawk when many businesses are closed but Carolina Beach (the SE corner of NC) has no shortage of different fish, oysters, and never frozen shrimp just hours from the water. Oak Island still has a good selection of seafood and for a while actually had a store selling credible pirogi, those I really miss. Those and the great Polish sausages that used to be brought in from NYC and Chicago by a Russian couple who had a store in Wilmington for a few years.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:00 AM

374 posts, read 256,752 times
A friend reminded me of the Colorado burger chain Good Times and how I haven't been to one in probably close to 4 years now (moved out of state nearly 3 years ago). Their custard was quite excellent and I can't say I can immediately think of a fair equivalent chain anywhere else. Culver's would probably be the closest comparison and the closest ones I know of are down in Dallas. Culver's is good but it's not the same.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:38 PM

408 posts, read 259,485 times
Living in Colorado I miss my Publix fried chicken and their subs. I can not find what I consider good fried chicken in the Boulder/Longmont area. We are however getting Quick Trip and Buckey's soon so all is not lost.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:49 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Living in Alabama I miss the chile of New Mexico and Southern Colorado.

If you ever get a chance to go to the Chile Festival in Pueblo in September every year, do go. It's really neat.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

On the other hand, I currently live in Tucson and the Mexican food that I had in Chicago was so much better than anything I have had out here. There was a lot more variety and a lot better preparation and a lot more creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink