Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 03:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

In most European countries and even Mexico, there are bakeries on just about every corner that sell amazing bread. Bread is a staple in most of these countries, so I guess that's why there are so many bakeries. In the US, bakeries are a rarity. The ones that do exist mostly sell cakes.

I guess if you ask most Americans what type of bread they eat, they'll say something like Wonder sandwich bread. Everyone else ends up buying a more gourmet sliced sandwich bread like whole wheat. A small minority of people buy bakery made breads at stores like Whole Foods. In most places across the US, this is about as close as you can get to European bread.

So my question is why is it so hard to find good bread in the US? I previously lived in Chicago which is one of the biggest cities in the country, and even there, I could only find a handful of bakeries that I thought had decent bread. And those bakeries despite charging high prices for bread were no comparison to the type of bread that you can get on just about every corner in Paris.

Is it because bread just isn't a staple in most American households? Or is it just a cultural or habit thing? Most Americans are used to eating white sandwich bread so maybe a bakery making European style bread wouldn't stay in business?

Old 02-03-2022, 03:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Thats the AMerican way,like drinking instant coffee,eating pizza,

Old 02-03-2022, 03:41 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
The vast majority of Americans don't know what real bread tastes like. They've grown up eating and buying the stuff weeks old that comes in plastic or "baked" at the supermarket.
You can't miss what you've never had.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:42 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
In most European countries and even Mexico, there are bakeries on just about every corner that sell amazing bread. Bread is a staple in most of these countries, so I guess that's why there are so many bakeries. In the US, bakeries are a rarity. The ones that do exist mostly sell cakes.

I guess if you ask most Americans what type of bread they eat, they'll say something like Wonder sandwich bread. Everyone else ends up buying a more gourmet sliced sandwich bread like whole wheat. A small minority of people buy bakery made breads at stores like Whole Foods. In most places across the US, this is about as close as you can get to European bread.

So my question is why is it so hard to find good bread in the US? I previously lived in Chicago which is one of the biggest cities in the country, and even there, I could only find a handful of bakeries that I thought had decent bread. And those bakeries despite charging high prices for bread were no comparison to the type of bread that you can get on just about every corner in Paris.

Is it because bread just isn't a staple in most American households? Or is it just a cultural or habit thing? Most Americans are used to eating white sandwich bread so maybe a bakery making European style bread wouldn't stay in business?
It didn't used to be that way in the US, either. I remember getting bread from the local bakery when I was a kid. You can still get good bread in most better supermarkets, but you will pay more for it, and that's probably your answer. There is a subculture in the US that will trade off more and cheaper for less and better.

Mu mother also made homemade bread, something I never had time or reason to do.

I was only to Paris once in my life, for two days. I got a baguette at a corner bakery one morning and it was just wonderful. Ate half with my coffee, and I ate the other half that night with a half a bottle of wine as I went through the Chunnel on the way to London.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-03-2022 at 04:01 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 03:47 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Here in So Cal, we have a local bakery that is networked with several chain grocers, like Safeways and Costcos, called La Brea Bakery.

https://www.labreabakery.com/breads

In the case of sliced bread, we only ever get Dave's Killer Bread. We much prefer the crusty, European style breads and rolls though. I also bake my own French style loaves in my bread machine for fresh-baked goodness.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:03 PM

88,514 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Here in So Cal, we have a local bakery that is networked with several chain grocers, like Safeways and Costcos, called La Brea Bakery.

In the case of sliced bread, we only ever get Dave's Killer Bread. We much prefer the crusty, European style breads and rolls though. I also bake my own French style loaves in my bread machine for fresh-baked goodness.
But it's not the same, right? My sister had one of those machines, but the bread she made did not seem to hold together. It was tasty, but it fell apart. Not easy to spread butter on it.

Maybe she wasn't doing it right.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:05 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times
Default There are reasons for mediocre bread here

A few observations:
1. Maybe in the boonies people eat Wonderbread. Not in the large cities, where even the supermarkets now carry "artisanal" breads. We buy all sorts of interesting breads there. These are not the heavy breads of Europe but better than average. And yes, I buy these pre-sliced, as it saves time and aggravation.

2. In the US, time is money, and people work hard, although the increasingly idle proportion of the working-age population changes that somewhat. The work in the US starts early, and the working bees don't have a luxury of having an elaborate breakfast. Being retired, I have that luxury now, but not if I had to be out the door at 6 or 7 am. So pop the bread in the toaster -- and off you go. A totally different mentality form (relatively) lazy Europe.

3. Unlike Europe, we don't have the time to stroll to a corner bakery to buy that baguette. People come home exhausted, and the wives typically work as well. The same with meat, fish, etc. We are a highly industrialized country, where food is delivered long-distance in refrigerated trucks, not made on a farm next door.

4. True, food sophistication in the US is not the same as in Europe. That's partly because we have little time, partly because we are simple, no-nonsense, business-oriented people. Compare the typical short haircuts of the Americans to the long fussy hair of the Europeans (and even the Canadians). DJT is a special case.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The vast majority of Americans don't know what real bread tastes like. They've grown up eating and buying the stuff weeks old that comes in plastic or "baked" at the supermarket.
You can't miss what you've never had.
This, and then there are the "Gluten-free" crowd that won't eat bread because they think it's bad, though only a few people are allergic to it. I make much of our bread and rolls, always have a sourdough starter going. There is good bread available but you have to look for it, and for us, it's a good 1/2 hour drive away.
Some of the high end markets will have a few good baguettes and rolls but delivered in the wee hours, so not as fresh as warm out of the oven.

Old 02-03-2022, 06:10 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

I love that bread! For non-bakery or artisan bread, it's pretty great. If I'm buying artisan bread, I can get it at a local bakery or even Wegman's. They make their own in-house and the different kinds are yummy. Irish soda bread next month!

Old 02-03-2022, 06:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Luckily where I live there are 3 bakeries that make European type bread to die for.
I sent 2 loaves to my mother 800 miles away!
It was like the 'Old Country' to her. I didn't ans the op ques because others did already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink