Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 06:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But it's not the same, right? My sister had one of those machines, but the bread she made did not seem to hold together. It was tasty, but it fell apart. Not easy to spread butter on it.

Maybe she wasn't doing it right.
Give that thing to someone you really do not like. Use your hands or a kitchen machine.

Old 02-04-2022, 06:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
back then,Europeans would have a glass of wine,bread with cheese and creamy soup for lunch,meat is reserved for dinner,meat is expensive!
so bread is an important item on the lunch menu
What Europe are you talking about?

Old 02-04-2022, 07:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
My aunt by marriage was from New Zealand. She would "continental" shop - every day. Sometimes more than once or twice a day. I think it's better. Way better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Apparently she had nothing else to do.
You're not familiar with "continental" shopping?! It's a thing all over the world, except America where it's been catching on. People shop for fresh items every day at the local market, often outdoors. My MIL used to do it all the time in her country. They do it in France, Spain, Italy, etc.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 PM

1,425 posts, read 663,442 times
Unfortunately I am an addict and I have no trouble finding good bread ever.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:52 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
the bread days are long gone in this household.

DW worked in the development kitchen of orowheat.
After we left right bank USA for left bank USA, she adapted the basic multigrain bread and white bread recipe to: flour, buttermilk, canola oil, yeast and salt. She made 9 loaves at a time. 1 to eat. 1 to eat later, 7 to freezer or give aways.
Those days are gone because she's watches how much I eat. It's all my fault .

Good bread is expensive in time and labor.
YBMV

Old 02-04-2022, 09:02 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What Europe are you talking about?
mojo could have been talking about some of my family in the north of France, around Lille, Lens, Béthune, they’re into bread and soup etc, and there’s always a few bottles of wine on the table.
They’re not averse to viande de cheval though, (horse meat).
Relatives in the south, from Tarn-Et-Garonne down to Aude are similar, but more likely to go for fish at dinner time, perhaps bouillabaisse, but bread and wine are ever present.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:08 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You're not familiar with "continental" shopping?! It's a thing all over the world, except America where it's been catching on. People shop for fresh items every day at the local market, often outdoors. My MIL used to do it all the time in her country. They do it in France, Spain, Italy, etc.
I've heard of it, but it seems like overkill. The only reason I would shop every day is if I never had an idea what I was going to make for dinner until I went to the market and saw something that caught my eye. But I actually like planning meals ahead and having what I need ready; it's less stressful than constantly winging it. I don't need another daily chore. And if I buy fresh vegetables today, they are still going to be fine tomorrow and the day after that.

I understand buying bread every day if you are talking about something like a baguette or Persian sangak which is really only fresh for a few hours. But we don't eat that kind of bread every day, either.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny3 View Post
Unfortunately I am an addict and I have no trouble finding good bread ever.
Me too, until I moved to Tucson, AZ. However, I waited until my New York friends arrived for the season and he gave me a list of all the bakeries with good bread. The list was pretty good.

I was ready to take a bread baking class affiliated with the local university in my spare time. That is until I found out that it was less of a class than free labor for a artisan baker. Yes, seriously.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:18 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
At one time we were baking our own breads, and they were great! We would go through a loaf a day. Then we started putting on the pounds from eating so much bread, so we went back to the cheap and crummy store-bought stuff.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Why is it so hard to find good bread in the U.S......kinda like asking why is it so hard to find spicy food in Norway or top notch BBQ in Paris.

Americans view bread as vehicle to deliver meat and cheese. Sure we like "good" bread but it's just not as much of a thing here as it is in Europe. No country does everything well.
This answer rings true to me, as well as saibot's answer where she said it's not a moral issue - because it's not.

There are just so many differences between countries and regions of the world, and bread is one of them. Grocery styles, eating habits, etc. are just all different and that's OK. When I go to Europe, I enjoy the differences, and then I am ready to get back to my total lifestyle in the US. Over the years, I've incorporated some aspects of European life, but bread isn't one of those. I say that but it's not entirely true - I do pay more now for better bread, and often for fresh baked bread, but I don't worship at the throne of bread if that makes sense. I mean, imagine being so into bread that lasts only a day or so, that your local petrol station offers it on Sundays (everything else is closed basically). People were all worried over the holidays: "But is the bakery going to be open, and if so, what are the holiday hours?"

My daughter lives there and many of the locals think she's crazy because she has four kids, for starters, and then, they eat a lot of food so in addition to the very small European refrigerator she has, she also has another fridge in a room that she converted into a pantry. (Her house is about 300 years old so there's no telling what this small room was supposed to be but OK - it's adjacent to the kitchen so now it's a large pantry and storage area since the kitchen is so small.) She has TWO washers and TWO dryers downstairs. (And they are both smaller than American washers and dryers.) Maybe they were originally a washer and dryer combined but she only uses two for dryers and two for washers now, I don't remember because frankly I didn't look at them. Anyway, there's that. The house is small on each floor but hey, it's four floors. Straight up and down. One door in and out, on the bottom floor. I hope there's not a fire.

So when you're in Europe, enjoy the bread, and when you're in the US, enjoy the space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink