Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 08:29 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You're not familiar with "continental" shopping?! It's a thing all over the world, except America where it's been catching on. People shop for fresh items every day at the local market, often outdoors. My MIL used to do it all the time in her country. They do it in France, Spain, Italy, etc.
I am well aware of what you refer to as continental shopping. Some people may have the luxury of spending time grocery shopping every day. Outdoor markets at -15F? Enjoy!

Old 02-05-2022, 08:33 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
My bread is the bomb-diggity! I use King Arthur bread flour, water, Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten (to improve elasticity), salt, yeast and that's it. Comes out perfect every time. I posted the recipe years ago in the bread machine thread in the recipes subforum. When it's done baking, I take it out and wait about ten minutes, then cut some slices and slather with Kerrygold butter. It is simply sublime
I'm coming over.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:33 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Some foods require soft white bread. Can you imagine sopping up BBQ sauce with hard and heavy whole grain?

Old 02-05-2022, 08:39 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Bread I can take it or leave it. DH loves bread. The best bread I have found is at Publix....must be good DH moans when eating it.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:39 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
yup, she wasn't doing it right--probably using low-protein flour.

It's not the machine, that's just a mechanical device. It's the recipe and ingredients that make bread wonderful.
But I don't recommend baking in the machine; I hate the crust it makes. Much nicer to shape by hand and bake in the oven.
That's how my mother did it. I remember the loaf pans covered with a dish towel waiting for it to rise. I never learned how to make it. Maybe I will give it a shot now that I am retired. I make a good lentil soup. Some homemade bread would go well with it.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I decided I will make DH make any bread if I want some. He already has it down for sourdough. His starter died and he needs "fix" it which will take almost a month. BUT in the mean time, he can make some some regular bread with yeast, if it is needed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-05-2022, 09:51 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Here in So Cal, we have a local bakery that is networked with several chain grocers, like Safeways and Costcos, called La Brea Bakery.

https://www.labreabakery.com/breads

In the case of sliced bread, we only ever get Dave's Killer Bread. We much prefer the crusty, European style breads and rolls though. I also bake my own French style loaves in my bread machine for fresh-baked goodness.

They have a long reach, a local market here in coastal NC gets their LaBrea dough frozen and bakes it in store. I've been pretty pleased with a few of their varieties.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:53 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Some foods require soft white bread. Can you imagine sopping up BBQ sauce with hard and heavy whole grain?

I'll swap cornbread for that soft white bread to sop up BBQ sauce.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:28 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This answer rings true to me, as well as saibot's answer where she said it's not a moral issue - because it's not.

There are just so many differences between countries and regions of the world, and bread is one of them. Grocery styles, eating habits, etc. are just all different and that's OK. When I go to Europe, I enjoy the differences, and then I am ready to get back to my total lifestyle in the US. Over the years, I've incorporated some aspects of European life, but bread isn't one of those. I say that but it's not entirely true - I do pay more now for better bread, and often for fresh baked bread, but I don't worship at the throne of bread if that makes sense. I mean, imagine being so into bread that lasts only a day or so, that your local petrol station offers it on Sundays (everything else is closed basically). People were all worried over the holidays: "But is the bakery going to be open, and if so, what are the holiday hours?"

My daughter lives there and many of the locals think she's crazy because she has four kids, for starters, and then, they eat a lot of food so in addition to the very small European refrigerator she has, she also has another fridge in a room that she converted into a pantry. (Her house is about 300 years old so there's no telling what this small room was supposed to be but OK - it's adjacent to the kitchen so now it's a large pantry and storage area since the kitchen is so small.) She has TWO washers and TWO dryers downstairs. (And they are both smaller than American washers and dryers.) Maybe they were originally a washer and dryer combined but she only uses two for dryers and two for washers now, I don't remember because frankly I didn't look at them. Anyway, there's that. The house is small on each floor but hey, it's four floors. Straight up and down. One door in and out, on the bottom floor. I hope there's not a fire.

So when you're in Europe, enjoy the bread, and when you're in the US, enjoy the space!
I am pretty sure that little room adjacent to the kitchen was the maid's quarters. When I lived in Europe, one of my rentals had a similar room and I had to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm coming over.
You are welcome to come over and sample some! Seriously though, I'll take photos the next time I bake a loaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They have a long reach, a local market here in coastal NC gets their LaBrea dough frozen and bakes it in store. I've been pretty pleased with a few of their varieties.
I'm not surprised they've reached that far, their products are really the best I've had in the states.* However, I would suggest that everyone go to Europe at least once to see what the hubbub is all about. Each country has their own thing that they are known for bread-wise.

*One time only, my Costco had shelf-stable blister packs of mini baguettes imported from France, there were four attached pouches that each contained 6 mini parbaked loaves. You had to put them in the oven to finish baking. They were exceptionally wonderful and by the time I went back to Costco for more, the display was history.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:30 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,176,533 times
OP is from DFW, which makes me think it's a regional issue where they are. I've lived on the west coast since 1985 and never had trouble finding good bread, both store bought and bakery-made. I don't know anyone who eats Wonder Bread and if "most Americans" do, as the OP suggests, that's just sad when there are so many better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink