Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:36 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,577,686 times

Advertisements

According to Tyler FLorence on Food 911-you put it in the freezer for 30 minutes, which will stun it. Then when you put it in the boiling water, it won't be moving around and this pretty much just helps YOU feel more humane. Supposedly, there's no real HUMANE way to kill it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,407,323 times
LOL-I LOVE lobster but couldn't imagine cooking it myself. So I'll just buy it already frozen.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Lobsters have nerve centres (ganglia) and an increasing amount of research indicates that they feel pain.

The RSPCA in Australia have published humane guidelines:

[url=http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-the-most-humane-way-to-kill-lobsters-and-other-crustaceans_79.html]What is the most humane way to kill lobsters and other crustaceans? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase[/url]

The RSPCA UK also have public protocols for humane killing of crustacea, with diagrams etc. Google it.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:42 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubalu View Post
No no, I don't mean when they're trying to put up a fight or trying to escape, I mean when we actually harm an animal (that supposedly doesn't have a nervous system) and it'll act all crazy as if it was in a lot of pain, if it didn't feel pain, wouldn't it just act normal? How does it know it's harmed?
You are right. They do feel, if only in a rudimentary way. Creatures must know how to react to bad stimuli--it's part of their survival mechanism.

My fancy cookbook says to stab them in the head and then immediately put them in rapidly boiling water. They'll die instantly or within one or two seconds. That's about all that any of us can hope for, isn't it?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,421,189 times
It was mentioned above somewhere to hypnotize lobsters by rubbing them between the eyes.. I never knew that, however if you lay a crab on it's back and rub it's sexual organ (the little flap thingy) this does seemingly put a crab to sleep. I have done this before and know it works.
Every so often a guy would bring some blue crabs into the pizzaria and have my boss make up a red sauce with them. I'd rub that sweet spot then just cut them in half lengthwise with a big knife they never moved at all.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoarmo View Post
Lobsters have nerve centres (ganglia) and an increasing amount of research indicates that they feel pain.

The RSPCA in Australia have published humane guidelines:

What is the most humane way to kill lobsters and other crustaceans? - RSPCA Australia knowledgebase

The RSPCA UK also have public protocols for humane killing of crustacea, with diagrams etc. Google it.
Yes, they can feel pain, but that fact itself does not mean that they feel temperature change as pain. Because they are "cold blooded", their body does not need to recognize temperature change, since it is not necessary for them to regulate their body temperature according to temperature change. The spend their whole life in cold water that would be torture for you to spend 30 seconds in.

Pain is a nervous system reaction to a threatening condition, and the avoidance of pain is what inspires an organism to prudently escape from a condition that causes pain. Lobsters did not develop a nervous avoidance reaction to temperature change, because it doesn't constitute a threat to their lives in the environment they evolved in. Living organisms are very efficient, and don't waste processes that have no relevance to their survival.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Killing is killing,
there's no humane way to kill anything.

There's just the illusion that killing something that doesn't make noise is more humane than killing something that makes a lot of noise.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,354 times
kill them, eat them...hahh

Old 11-17-2010, 08:48 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
how do you murder a lobster humanely

Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Killing is killing,
there's no humane way to kill anything.

There's just the illusion that killing something that doesn't make noise is more humane than killing something that makes a lot of noise.
99.99% of all organisms that are born on this planet are doomed to die a death that is more horrible than anything you can imagine. Most of them being dissolved alive in the digestive fluids of something higher up the food chain. The rest torn apart by jaws or talons, to watch themselves being eaten piece by piece. A lucky few will get stepped on on the sidewalk and die quickly. It is not the business of the human species to try to make an infinitesimally small adjustment in the abject and universal and inescapable horror and suffering that Your God That You Adore has already set in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink