Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 01:04 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,505,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
What kind of Kimchi? Fresh or fermented?

What kind of sushi? California roll or fresh scallops?
Years ago, I lived in an apartment and my neighbors were Koreans who regularly cooked Kimchi. They were the sweetest, kindest people that you would ever want to meet but the smell of Kimchi cooking would literally gag me and make the whole building stink. So I lost any interest that I may have ever had to try Kimchi. I have heard similar enough stories to mine to know that my experience was not unique and it's, unfortunately, what I now associate with Korean cooking. I do think that I would like Bulgogi, though.

As far as sushi goes, the raw stuff is gross to me. I know that there are cooked varieties but none of it appeals to me. That said, I do like Tempura quite a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 01:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Korean food was pretty common when I lived in Hawaii.

You would walk in the office, and think "what is that gawd awful smell?" Quickly realize it was Korean food and thought would change to "Now I've got a craving for Korean food!"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2023, 02:29 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
It's really a matter of taste, isn't it? I'm with you on Italian. It's fine, but not a favorite cuisine of mine.

I like various Asian cuisines, cajun, all-American (turkey burgers and salad), soups, baked poultry cooked traditional style or cajun style, Greek salad, simple steamed veggies, traditional casseroles, etc.

For Italian, I love turkey spaghetti w/pasta sauce...I think that's about it.

I eat simple things, with an eye on health. Except for the candy. I love candy.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:40 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Overrated in my opinion is Mexican, or at least what most of us know of it in this country.

Underrated would have to be Southeast Asian cuisines like Malaysian, Indonesian and Burmese in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:42 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Overrated in my opinion is Mexican, or at least what most of us know of it in this country.

Underrated would have to be Southeast Asian cuisines like Malaysian, Indonesian and Burmese in my opinion.
Not my fave (ironically, I'm half Mexican), though I DO like recipes actually from Mexico. There was a group of women from Mexico, who did this huge spread, nothing recognizable and all amazing dishes. No tacos, burritos, or stuff you will find in restaurants. When we were in the Yucatan region the food was amazing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2023, 10:43 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The most overrated cuisine is Italian. They are so smug acting and go on and on about how Italian food is the best in the world and they only use the freshest ingredients. I have had some good meals in Italy but eventually you get bored with some variation of pasta.

Chinese food is seriously underrated. Each region has a totally different style and most Chinese restaurants in the US and in Europe don't do Chinese food any justice. I've had some $1 noodles in China that were cooked by an old lady selling out of a cart in an alley way and were 20x better than the noodles I paid 20 euros for in Italy. I wish we had more authentic Chinese restaurants in the US.
Chinese food is SERIOUSLY the most overrated food on the globe.
The French have done more with an egg than the entire array of chinese desserts. Uh, if there is such a thing as a chinese dessert.
The absence of any significant use of dairy is a gaping hole of epic proportions, which is why the sole meal-ender (even when I was in China a while back) is ice-cream.. but only the ordinary flavors.
The range of wines is uh.. nevermind.

Much is lacking due to the scarcity of cooking fuel and the economic inefficiency of ovens; ergo the wok, where everything is cut up in small pieces to facilitate speedy stir fry.
You ever see a chinese bakery? Me neither.

Wine, liquers, spirits?... Only imports are potable.

But their noodles are terrific. Especially with an alfredo sauce.

Old 06-14-2023, 11:36 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
Did you ever wonder what Italians ate, before Marco Polo brought Pasta back from China and Columbus brought Tomatoes from America?

Old 06-14-2023, 11:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
In Chile, they eat, literally, everything that comes from the sea, raw and alive. Even the barnacles chipped from the bottoms of boats. I waited all day for my plumber, who then showed up (drunk) at 5 pm and showed me how to eat about 6 kinds of creepy crawlies.

Old 06-15-2023, 06:34 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
This has always puzzled me --- Why are people willing and eager to eat Cuban food but shy away from Puerto Rican food? Not saying I don't like Cuban food but given a choice, I would take Puerto Rican food over Cuban.

Where I live, Puerto Rican food is rare to non-existent. A place opened up a couple of years ago that served Puerto Rican food and I was excited to try it---only to be let down. The owner is from Puerto Rico but has tinkered with the food. I guess it's an attempt to make it more healthy but it ends up being non-authentic and/or lacking in flavor.

Back in the 90s, there was a Puerto Rican restaurant in the metro area that served authentic Puerto Rican food. It was a true Mom and Pop place where the husband, who was Dominican, worked the front of the house while his wife, who was Puerto Rican, did all the cooking. We took my Dad there and he was so pleased. Sadly, the place, despite getting a positive review from a food critic for one of the major newspapers, ended up folding. As I said, people shy away from it. I'm not sure why. Is it a concern that it might be too spicy? In reality, it's not spicy like, for example, Mexican food.

The last time I found a great Puerto Rican place was when we were in Teaneck, NJ. It was a family run place and the food was the real deal. I did notice that they had some Cuban items on the menu. This seems to happen in many Puerto Rican places---they feel the need to put some Cuban dishes on their menus---which is a shame. (This restaurant still exists and my husband and I both said we wouldn't mind eating their food again.)

So...if I want Puerto Rican food, I either have to cook some for myself or travel to an an area that has Puerto Rican restaurants. When we used to regularly visit NYC, I would look for any restaurants that fit the bill. Also, I've learned that Northeast Pennsylvania has some, too.
I live in New Jersey. I just did a search for Puerto Rican restaurant in Teaneck, and I found it! They have mofongo. I am going to take a trek up here one day.

WARNING: If you open the following link, you will be unable to resist jumping up and dancing.

https://www.misraicesteaneck.com/menus

Old 06-15-2023, 06:38 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Did you ever wonder what Italians ate, before Marco Polo brought Pasta back from China and Columbus brought Tomatoes from America?
Do you wonder what the Irish ate before Sir Walter Raleigh brought potatoes to Ireland? And that was long after the Spanish brought them back from the Incas.

People ate what was available to them locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink