Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 02:43 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times

Advertisements

I agree--the kitchen shears are so handy for a multiple of uses. They come in great for crab legs!! Most things a good knife will cut a good pair of kitchen shears will cut and easier! Although there no substitude for good knives I like good shears on hand too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Don't forget a roll of heavy duty aluminum foil which besides a wrap can be made into disposable baking aheets/pans, funnels, pot lids, drip trays, etc........................

Old 08-24-2008, 04:13 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
I am not big on hauling out huge electric machines all the time... so I LOVE my Mandolin Slicer... that sucker can slice anything and I don't have a huge clean up when I am done- just chuck that baby into the dishwasher!

AND the sheers... they are so handy for chopping chives and such.... pizza into pcs for the kids!

Old 08-24-2008, 04:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
psst you guys forgot the oven mit... preferably not one that is wet.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Coffee maker. Don't forget a good coffee maker.

But good call on the oven mit!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:14 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
Default Also a minimalist

Did anyone mention cutting boards? I have 4...1 of those melamine type ones that can be put in the dishwasher for cleaning and disinfecting and 3 of various sizes made of bamboo. I keep my mineral oil handy.

1. I have a number of good knives and a traditional meat cleaver.
2. I have kitchen shears.
3. I have a Kitchen Aid mixer along with a food grinder, sausage stuffer, and the shredder tools (since I have the mixer anyway).
4. I have a blender.
5. I have a food processor. Although I would not have bought one I ended up with it when my neighbor died.
6. I have a good box grater, hand hand Mouli grater, and a washboard type grater.
7. I have a waffle iron.
8. I have good glass and stainless steel mixing bowls.
9. I have decent wooden, metal, and hard plastic mixing spoons, spatulas, forks. and other related utensils. Each type has its specific uses.
10. I have cast iron, Pyrex, some copper, and heavy steel cook pots, skillets, and lids, plus a minimal selection of related baking dishes, roasters, etc. I don't have a lot, just what I need, since they take up so much room.
11. I have a tea ball or two which I use mostly for keep spices in when I am making soups and sauces...it makes for easy removal of the spices.
12. I have a good hand-held Swing-A-Way can opener.
13. I have glass measuring cups, and some cheapie plastic ones (for dry measure), plus some metal measuring spoons.
14. I have a couple of whisks and a few bowl scrapers (especially handy when working with bread).
15. I have thermometers...one for meat, another for candy, and a couple of instant read types (especially for testing bread loaves).
16. I have cloth towels (for covering bread mostly), foil, cooking parchment, wax paper, and plastic wrap.

OK, maybe I'm not so much a minimalist...I was using the term meaning I eschew most gadgets. I have no need for most of those electric things, although I do have a microwave oven. I do think a decent digital scale would be good though for more precise measurement.

Last edited by buckhead; 08-24-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Edited because I had clumsy fingers...still do.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:26 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Did anyone mention cutting boards? I have 4...1 of those melamine type ones that can be put in the dishwasher for cleaning and disinffecting and 3 of various sizes made of bamboo. I keep my mineral oil handy.

I think you were the first to mention cutting boards; another item that I forgot to include on my list.

I also have the grinder, sausage stuffer and shredder attachments for my KitchenAid mixer. The shredder attachment comes in very handy when making large quantities of something like au gratin potatoes. Several times a year I'm asked to bring 25 pounds au gratin potatoes to a social group that I belong to and without the shredder attachment the prep involved would be a bit much.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM

589 posts, read 1,636,230 times
A personal chef

Old 08-24-2008, 06:14 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
11. I have a tea ball or two which I use mostly for keep spices in when I am making soups and sauces...it makes for easy removal of the spices.
What a wonderful idea! I made up a bunch of bouquet garni bags out of muslin for that kind of thing, but they're futzy to make and use; a tea ball would be much, much easier to handle. Thanks for sharing that!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:57 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Great thread. I'm learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink