Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

90% of the time I can get away with a few pots and pans, measuring cups/spoons, a spatula, and a good knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Lots of very sharp knives.
Rolling pin.
It was a dark and stormy Halloween night...

Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Dh bought me a 12 piece set of TitanWare cookware for Mother's Day. I don't ever have to scrub a pot again and it can go from the stove top into the oven. Cleanup is a breeze. Having the best tools certainly makes the job easier.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM

661 posts, read 1,251,278 times
I have a counter top electric roasting pan/warmer/steamer. Way better than using a microwave.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Very sharp knives are absolutely essential, as is a good pair of kitchen shears. I use my kitchen shears frequently when cooking, even for heavy-duty stuff like cutting up whole chickens.

My next most-needed tool is probably my tongs. I do a lot of browning and stir-frying, and tongs are perfect for this.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It was a dark and stormy Halloween night...
LOl, I just repped them for that. First thought was "Hrmm, don't make momma angry."

My wife is Japanese. There are rice cookers.... and then there are Rice Cookers. Think ours cost about $150 bucks, many years ago. I cheaped out with the on/off one from some discount store. She schooled me - real quick. Man, I think we bought that thing in 1995, come to think of it.

Zojirushi (http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/ricecookers/ricecookers.html - broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
A reamer for citrus.
Tervis Tumblers for the GA humidity
I, too, like my rice cooker.
A good chopping knife, paring knife and serrated knife. That's all I need.
My HUGE old yellow ware bowls...don't use them often, but when I do, they're priceless.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:06 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,244,573 times
I need an ultra sharp 8" santoku knife.

I also have a Japanese turning slicer that comes in handy.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Talking Where does one begin ???

Our Juicer...just love it.

KA mixers...just love them.

4 different siz crock pots. LOVE THESE
The microwave.

2 electric choppers

A oblong plastic chopper they sold a few years back. They have a white lid top & green plastic with the 2 different size blades. I forgot the name of it & it's 4:30 Am. I'm not going in the kitchen to find out the name of it right now. Don't want to wake the Rotts up or Hubby either.
It's the easiest chopper. I love it for celery, carrots, onions, nuts, etc...etc...

My vinyl cutting sheets. LOVE THEM !!!
It doesn't cut thru. Easy clean up. Makes a GREAT funnel. Plus the design(they vary) are great to look at.
Just NEVER put anything hot on them.

My cookware...of course.
Different size metal bowls
A large double cabinet with spices

Several sets of mixing bowls.
4 sets of measuring cups & spoons.
Wooden utensils
Sharp knives

Cookie sheets, cooling racks, jelly roll pans, muffin tins 3 sizes...all my baking pans & casserole dishes.

CORNING WARE.....the good stuff from years ago.

My heavy duty scissors....makes cutting wing tips off of chicken wings "a piece of cake". I use the scissors quite a bit.

I have 2 taller large crocks. One of them has all my wooden sppoons & spatula's. I must have 25 spatula's. Hey when you need them...they are there. Nothing is worse when baking like bandit & you need a good spatula.

I know I'm forgetting something...I know I am.

I don't have a ricer or a rice cooker or a food processor or a dishwasher (unless you consider Hubby & me).
I don't have room for them. I figure I have baked/cooked all these years & do just fine without them.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
90% of the time I can get away with a few pots and pans, measuring cups/spoons, a spatula, and a good knife.
I'm with you. I've never own a food processer and don't know what on earth I'd need it for.

Looks like something that's annoying to have to wash.

Similarly, I have a friend, who, everytime she wants to bake a cake or needs a mixer for something, struggles to pull out this huge contraption where the bowl sits on this machine and you insert the beaters into the machine and pull it down and it beats the batter...just like a regular handheld mixer and a normal bowl, only three minutes later she has this huge thing to clean and then struggle to put it back under the cabinet where it takes up too much room. LOL, the power of marketing, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink