Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 PM

431 posts, read 1,202,983 times

Advertisements

The eggs are difficult to peel when they are very fresh within 5 days from lay.
But if you immediately run them under cold water after boiling makes peeling easier. This stops the cooking process as well.

To make sure that the egg yolk is in the middle, all you need is pock a whole with a pin in the air pouch.

This is how I like mine

Last edited by Cuisinette; 09-05-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
I've been a decent cook as long as I can remember. I am no cherub, of course, but I've never made any mistakes more exciting than occasionally burning the roast.

My grandmother, however, had a pretty hilarious episode when she had just gotten married, at 19. After her husband left for work one day, she decided to make chicken soup. This was in Russia, right after World War II, so you can imagine -- all cooking done from scratch, empty store shelves, and the only chickens are live ones, that you have to pluck and gut yourself. My grandmother had no experience whatsoever. She went to the farmer's market and bought a live chicken (the merchant killed it after she paid). She brought it home and just stuck it in a pot of water -- dirty, ungutted, feathers and all! She kept the pot simmering for over 6 hours. When my grandfather got home, he was so disgusted, he threw out the whole thing, even the pot. Just picked the pot off the stove, carried it outside and threw it in the dumpster.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:22 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
LOL... I will tell you about my HUBBY...he is not allowed to cook... he makes the coffee but that is it...

Once, I was not feeling well and he thought he would be helpful and make something up for dinner... well, I had frozen Blintzes left in the freezer from some brunch we had and they were never made... he thought that would be ideal and asked me how to coat them with oil... (now I was really sick and only half paying attention)... I told him he better put a little oil in a ramiken so he didn't use too much and just brush it with oil, put it on a cookie sheet, and bake it... Well, He is almost done with the application when I decide I better actually go into the kitchen and check on him... HE IS DUNKING THEM IN THE RAMIKEN OF OIL!!! His fingers are dripping with it and he loads the last one onto the sheet and stuffs it into the oven so very proudly...

now I am not paying attention to the pan he used... I was too busy deciding I would refrain from eating the oil drenched blintzes...LOL... about five minutes in I smell smoke... something is burning... He runs to the oven and there is a POND of oil sitting at the bottom of the stove... He had used my air cookie sheet that has no edge so all of that oil he put the blinztes aswimmin' in had dripped onto the floor of the over and was smoking... All I can do is just stand there as he is hurrying to get everything out... the pan is extra hot because it has scalding oil all over it and has drenched the towel he used to take it out with... drops the oily pan on my stove top... that is NOW covered in oil... he turned the oven off... let it cool... declared it was take out night... After dining on pizza... the oven was finally cooled and he put a ton of paper towels down to soak up all the oil....I headed to bed...

In the morning my kids are hungry for breakfast, hubby is running out the door to work, and I have decided to pull out the biscuits to bake in the oven... I set it to preheat for the biscuits...get them ready and then the smoke alarm goes off... HUBBY FORGOT TO TAKE OUT THE OIL DRENCHED PAPER TOWELS I had a FIRE in my oven--- not just a little flame either... My children are staring in fear and I am forgetting what the heck it is you dump on a fire... Is it Flour??? I think it is Flour.... Uh... I grab the container of flower and dump that sucker onto the flames... still they wont go out... I don't know what else to do... I grabbed the water... dumped it in the oven... shut the door... YES! FIRE IS OUT! And I now have PASTE cooking onto the bottom of the stove... Oh joy... Hubby came home to a sick and grouchy woman that night...LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Ooh I have one, I was making tuna steaks with a lemon sauce on it. The recipe called for 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. I squeezed out the juice and forgot to measure it, just dumped it all in. Boy oh boy was that some sour fish. Everytime I make it now, my hubby just has to lovingly remind me to measure the juice. LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I thought as an inventive teen that I could improve on my mother's chili. While she was out of the house I dumped in a cup of sugar to sweeten it up. If I can't have dessert I'm looking for an alternative. Well I tasted before she got back and knew this would not fly and she would know who did it. So being even more creative I got out the salt box and tried to compensate. I added a table spoon at a time but I was long past the point of no return. Of course I was found out. I don't remember what we had for dinner that night but I know it was not chili.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I thought as an inventive teen that I could improve on my mother's chili. While she was out of the house I dumped in a cup of sugar to sweeten it up. If I can't have dessert I'm looking for an alternative. Well I tasted before she got back and knew this would not fly and she would know who did it. So being even more creative I got out the salt box and tried to compensate. I added a table spoon at a time but I was long past the point of no return. Of course I was found out. I don't remember what we had for dinner that night but I know it was not chili.
Oh priceless...this does not shock me by the way...LOL

Old 09-05-2008, 01:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Oh priceless...this does not shock me by the way...LOL
Now you know why I like S&V along with Jalapeno type stuff......

Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 PM

365 posts, read 1,253,322 times
DD (now age 27) does not like to be reminded that the first time she made cookies, she used 1/2 cup baking soda instead of 1/2 teaspoon. Our faces absolutely puckered to prunes when we took a bite! Inedible!

She's now a professional pastry chef and recipe developer for magazines! And an excellent cook.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I don't know if it was the worst but I remember as a small boy when Mom wasn't around deciding I'd make my own chocolate pudding, only problem was nobody ever 'splained to me that pudding will only set after it's been boiled. I put the milk and pudding mix into a pan over heat and just as soon as it dissolved poured it into dishes, put them in the fridge, and waited,................................and waited, ...........................and waited.............................

As I recall pudding mix makes a passable chocolate milk

Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I had a can of refrigerated biscuit dough that was well past the 'use-by' date and decided the date was merely a suggestion and there must be a large safety cushion built in.

There may still be bits of dough embedded in the ceiling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink