Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 05:24 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,887 times

Advertisements

OOps, looked it up....for that chicken cordon bleu recipe, mix in 1/2 cup chicken broth with the stuffing as well! YUMMY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 05:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
OOps, looked it up....for that chicken cordon bleu recipe, mix in 1/2 cup chicken broth with the stuffing as well! YUMMY!
one stuffing ive made quite a bit lately, is apple-cinnamon with a touch of brown sugar,,whether you are stuffing a chicken, pork chop/roast it is delicious! ( take a base of bread crumbs, add chopped up apples pieces,,and add cinnamon spice,,,and then some brown sugar!!)

Old 04-12-2007, 11:38 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
these sound GROSS, but seriously, they are really good.....

3 lbs small meatballs (fresh, but browned or frozen precooked ones)
16 oz can sauerkraut
16 oz can jellied cranberry sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
8 oz (1/2 jar) spaghetti sauce

Mix all but meatballs in bowl. Add meatballs to crockpot, pour mixture over. Low 3-4 hours. My family LOVED these.
I have done meatballs as an appetizer or snack food for parties. They have always been a hit. I buy the prepackaged, precooked, frozen meatballs. I open the bag and place the entire contents in the crock pot. I then pour a bottle of Barbecue Sauce over them. I let it cook for several hours (at least 4-5), and stir once shortly before serving. Place a small container of toothpicks nearby, and you don't really even need plates! This has been very popular at Super Bowl parties and similar events.

I've also done hot (or sweet) wings this way. Take a bag of frozen wings (about 3 pounds), and pour your favorite wing sauce over them and cook for five or six hours. Serve with Blue Cheese or Ranch dip. They are another crowd favorite.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 04-12-2007 at 11:50 PM..

Old 04-14-2007, 03:36 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,283 times
Default BBQ ribs in slow cooker. Yes, they're really good!

This is the recipe I use to make BBQ baby back ribs in my crockpot. It sounds bizarre, and the first time I read it I couldn't believe that you don't add liquid to this recipe at all. But I made it and the meat just fell off the bone and had wonderful flavor. I make this at least once a month and all my relatives love the recipe when I make it too!

http://bbq.about.com/od/ribrecipes/r/ble31003d.htm

Note: after I remove ribs from crockpot, I put them on a foil lined baking sheet, cover then with BBQ sauce and then pop them in the oven for a bit to just warm the sauce onto the ribs.

Try them, they are a great, easy meal!

I will post a few other of my favorite crockpot recipes. I use tons of them!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:02 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

8 ounces cooked, drained elbow noodles
3 cups shredded cheese (any mild type works well)
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 stick of butter, softened

Put cooked noodles in crock pot.

Mix milk, butter, and eggs. Add to crock pot.

Gradually stir in cheese, reserving 1/2 cup to sprinkle over top.

Cook on low for 3 hours. Do not stir or remove lid while cooking.

Stir before serving.

A normal sized crock pot will hold 2 full recipes.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:52 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyaged View Post
I do something similar to this. Get a boneless Boston Butt (I use Tyson, less fat), pour a full jar of your favorite BBQ Sauce on it and cook on High for 8 hours. The meat just falls apart and its great on Hamb. Buns.
I do that too! It's delicious! Like shredded BBQ beef when done. Yum.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:58 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'm either too impatient or too much of a control freak to use my crockpot often.

I once did an experiment and tried cooking some sort of stew for about a week, eating some and adding some as I went along. Eventually all of the taste cooked out and I was left with inedible mush.
Ellie, try putting all the ingredients into the crockpot the night before, just before you go to bed. Then, when you wake up, turn it on low. When you get home from work, it'll be done!

One thing. I wrote about a soup I made with all that good stuff in it...but I made the mistake of adding rice from the beginning. It was ok while hot the first part, but it became a glutinous mass and not very good.
I've purchased frozen crockpot bags of ingredients at the store and tried them and they always say add the rice one half hour before you serve.
MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,445,382 times
Yeah, that sounds good, but with the exception of beans perhaps, it wouldn't be much help. I go through phases of using things like crockpots, but I always go back to just using a pot on the stove. Old habits die hard.

I actually like cooking, believe it or not.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:54 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
I made these at my last house party and they disappeared. Incidentally, I didn't have any onions so I substituted with some jarred caremelized onions I had in the fridge (from Trader Joes) made them taste even better!

A crockpot Swedish meat ball recipe with ground beef and seasonings:

INGREDIENTS:
2 lb. ground beef
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp parsley
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 onion, chopped small
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup beef broth (can be made from bouillon cube)

PREPARATION:
Mix together the beef, eggs, milk, parsley, oatmeal, onion, salt pepper, and nutmeg. Shape into small meatballs. Brown the meatballs in several batches in a frying pan with scant oil and transfer to crock. Pour beef broth over top.

Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If you want them saucier, add more beef broth and sprinkle on some Wondra flour before turning on the crock pot.

I have more recipes for the crock and will post them later.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:45 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I had excellent soup at my neighbor's house on Saturday when it was snowing like crazy and 22F while we were clearing out storm debris. It got me thinking about doing my own....
So today I bought canned whole corn, two cans of green beans, two red onions, one clove of fresh garlic, a bag of bowtie pasta and then I emptied a can of hearty vegetable soup into the slowcooker first, threw in the cut up onions and garlic, threw in a gob of black pepper, the bowtie pasta, a whole pile of cut mushrooms, some sea salt, two cans of chicken breast pieces in water, wild white rice, filled it to near the top with fresh well water, and a dose of garlic pepper. I have it on "low" and can already smell it...I'm getting hungry
I've used dessert recipes I've gotten here. Any good soup recipes too? OH, and my chicken fried steaks came out awesome with the advice I got! That preseasoned flour is the bomb!
Sounds YUMMY! I'll have to try this! The thing about crock-pot meals.....I get to tell my family I SLAVED ALL DAY!!!! (but they don't need to know the truth!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink