Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:10 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the Milkshake candybar? I used to love those.

Personally, I think the Reese's "Fastbreak" candy bar is absolutely heavenly. They are a little hard to find, though.

Over rated? I was once given a box of Godiva chocolates. They were pretty, but I would have been happier with a box of Whitmans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Does anyone remember the Milkshake candybar? I used to love those.

Personally, I think the Reese's "Fastbreak" candy bar is absolutely heavenly. They are a little hard to find, though.

Over rated? I was once given a box of Godiva chocolates. They were pretty, but I would have been happier with a box of Whitmans.

I wish See's would make a chocolate bar line...oo la la
Chocolate Gifts | See's Candies

Old 09-14-2008, 07:57 AM

47 posts, read 106,617 times

When I was a kid we used to freeze these babies, and SMACK 'EM AND CRACK 'EM!!!
I miss them. I looked for them for years and years thinking that maybe they just didn't carry them in New Hampshire anywhere.
But they are gone forever.

That's OK, they are bad for your teeth anyway,lol !!!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 AM

47 posts, read 106,617 times
Milkshake was a good one. Great frozen!!

I think I had a fastbreak and it was good but I can't remember, must have ate it too fast.

Over comercialization makes candy bars appear over rated. If I concentrate I can hear something about the carmel and chocolate covering of a milky way. Must be the TV syndrome. And the idea that a snickers bar is perfect if you don't have time for a meal. Yes there it goes again- now it is singing!! "goobers and raisenettes-goobers and raisenettes.."

I think it's time for another drink....

Old 09-14-2008, 11:24 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
Overrated: 3 musketeers, yuck!
Underrated: snickers and reese's peanut butter cups, cadbury chocolate bar

The best by far is from a local gourmet chocolate shop. Seroogy's, their meltaways are heavenly! I think you can order them online now. Seroogy's Homemade Chocolates - Since 1899
I've had Toblerone and other imported chocolate bars that were pretty good, but Seroogy's wins hands down.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sender View Post

When I was a kid we used to freeze these babies, and SMACK 'EM AND CRACK 'EM!!!
I miss them. I looked for them for years and years thinking that maybe they just didn't carry them in New Hampshire anywhere.
But they are gone forever.

That's OK, they are bad for your teeth anyway,lol !!!

I really miss them.

Supposedly a product called "French Chew" is supposed to be similar to Turkish Taffy, but I've never had it.

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/french-chew.htm

Old 09-14-2008, 02:33 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Best candy bar ever IMO is the nutrageous bar. mmmmm... I love Swiss chocolate and Belgian.

Nestles? Wouldn't give you a nickel for a Nestle bar, especially the Crunch. It's like they put wax in it. Very artificial tasting to me.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I forgot Mallo cups - frozen.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I've read just enough to make me want chocolate real bad. Now while it may now appeal to many here, I have giant (8oz or so) Hershey bar with almonds and I'm breaking it out during this emergency. It's a most under rated treat it seems to me. I just love milk chocolate. So creamy and smooth. I can be really bad with a box of chocolate covered peanuts. Can't find a bar made like that without all the other binders in them. The old stand by Baby Ruth is as close as I've seen and it's borderline to me.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:20 PM

424 posts, read 1,676,097 times
I'm just addressing candy with a USA heritage.

Over rated:

1. 3 Musketeers - I wish, oh I wish they would go back to the original concept for this bar...it is just like eating cloyingly sweet air now with no real flavor.
2. Milky Way - I just never could enjoy this one...too sweet and too empty.
3. Mr. Goodbar - I used to like this one a lot, but the first move downhill was when Hershey started using vanillin many years back and NOW the final straw is that it is NOT even a chocolate bar any longer...they are substituting cheap vegetable oils for some of the cocoa butter.
4. Nestlé Crunch - The chocolate is just bad in this one.
5. Hershey Kisses - They're still real chocolate, but unfortunately it is the basic HERSHEY chocolate which has sour notes in it...that has been the recipe used all these years, whether intentional or not...Hershey chocolate was originally developed with some sourness to it due to the milk or something.
6. Reese's Cups made with dark chocolate - I think they are long gone...dark chocolate did not work as well with peanut butter as milk chocolate.
7. Original Chunky - Although the chocolate is good when they removed cashews from the original version the allure was lost.

Under rated:

1. Almond Joy and Mounds bars - I only wish they would make a dark chocolate Almond Joy and keep it around permanently...much like the dark chocolate version made under the Bounty name.
2. Original Reese's Cups - Yes they are not fancy, but the flavor match is perfect.
3. Cherry Smash - Maybe an acquired taste, but I felt they were maligned.
4. Snicker's Almond (previously known as the USA version of the Mars bar) - I always thought it was ignored by others. It was even better back before they started dispersing almond chunks in it rather that whole almonds across the top.
5. Pay Day - At least Hershey did not kill this one off.
6. Zagnut - Hard not to like.

Under rated and no longer with us:

1. Seven Up (both milk chocolate and dark chocolate versions) - I loved this one even in later years when they changed the centers for the sections.
2. Butternut - It was better than Snicker's
3. Big Pay - Somewhat like Pay Day but with the sections reversed.
4. Peanut Butter and NO JELLY bar - I think the name was changed before they killed it off.

Loved but not sure what it was:

1. Name unknown - It was a peanut, caramel, chocolate combination with maybe some nougat...in a turquoise wrapper. I used to get it at Walgreen's in Florida back around 1990, but sales were probably not high since they always had them marked down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink